A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
She wanted to her Edward's voice again.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
I'm not sure why Billy was keeping that from Jacob. I'm sure he had his reasons.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I always had the feeling that this meant something MORE than just an innocent comment. I just never figured out what. I think maybe it has something to do with the fact that Bella really wasn't *made* to be human...forver.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
Deep down, I think Bella knows this is just a temporary thing for them. BUT I knew he'd always be a part of her life.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I totally thought it was because she wanted to hear the voice again. And she was pretty sure that would be a surefire way, which I think is related to her being free, unthinking and irresponsible, because that seems to help her hear Edward's voice.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
I think Billy just had a feeling that he wouldn't need to explain to Jacob about Sam, that Jacob really would find out for himself soon. Billy seemed pretty sure of what was going to happen. I don't think it would have been better if Jacob was told at the beginning of New Moon, I think it would have completely changed the story. Jacob is such a raw person with his emotions, he would have tried to completely resist and it would have probably changed his relationship with Bella. Billy probably thought it would be easy for Jacob to accept once it actually happened.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

Hmm, I didn't really think about it too much. I think maybe it just influenced my opinion that Bella seems so similar to vampires sometimes that she belongs with them. At least in this story, "light" seems to be bad and "dark" seems to be good. I get nothing ominous coming from Jacob's darkness.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I think Jacob will always be some sort of fix for Bella, I think that's why she has so much trouble cutting him out of her life later on, she's really unable to do it. I like her description that he's her personal sun is great. That seems pretty powerful to me, the influence that he has in her life. The sun is a huge thing, so this shows me that he is a huge part of her life. At first I thought that maybe their friendship might be temporary, but then it became very apparent that it wasn't.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think that its a mix of both. She wanted to hear Edwards voice again in her head. But at the same time she wanted to be free..to not have to think..and she wanted to do something that was irresponsible.

I think Billy just wanted to keep Jacob out of the loop until it comes time to say something. I think he would have been able to understand it.

I think it was just an innocent comment on Jacobs part. But of course Bella might take it a little bit differently.

I think she does realize that it might be temporary. I had a feeling that Bellas and Jacobs relationship would keep going, even if Edward were to come back. Jacob would be there for her.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

I think she just wants to feel free and she wants to hear Edwards voice. She thinks that if she does it, then he will come to her. I don't think that she is suicidal at this point.

I don't recall the truth being revealed at all.......

it could be showing how Bella feels so lifeless and wants to put herself in deadly situations just to hear Edward

no. I think that Bella does want to be his friend for a long while. I don't think she wants it be be anymore than friendship. I think once she has Edward back she will work through an issue that may upset her about him.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I think... both. She wanted to hear Edward again, and this was surely a reckless and stupid enough thing for that to happen. Feeling free would have been great, after all that she's been through. And maybe, in the back of her head, she might have thought death would be an excellent release, but I don't think she ever would have really considered it.

Jacob wasn't ready to hear it. He wouldn't have believed it if Billy had told him. I think Billy was right in waiting until Jacob found out for himself.

Pretty sure it was just an innocent comment (and the truth, of course). Bella just took it differently, just like we all did.

I never thought her relationship with Jake would be temporary ,and I didn't think she thought that either. I think that's what it was at first, but then they became true best friends. Who wants their relationship with their best friend to be temporary?
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I think it was a combo of all three, the deeper issue being, she was so hurt that she wouldn't care if she died. or maybe trying to temp Edward to save her.

Probably because Jacob wouldn't believe him.

I think it was an innocent comment made by Jacob.

I think the stuff she does to Jacob is really and truly horrible, she uses him and that's wrong but, I think she wanted to be friends forever with Jacob, but she is really selfish with him, it's pretty wrong. :?
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I think it was the first two, being able to hear Edward and being absolutely irresponsible.

He didn't tell him the truth because they weren't sure that Jake was going to become a wolf now that the Cullens were gone and they only tell those that need to know. No, I don't think he could have, he made fun of the legends in Twilight. Seeing is believing after all.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
They're comparing her to Edward. Edward used to be the palest one, the coldest one, now it's Bella.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
No, I don't think she knew that. No, I thought things would go back to the way they were before Edward left, because he was her original and permanent fix, as long as he was around Bella was happy.
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

She wanted to hear Edward's voice, duh! The only way, she found, was to break her promise to Edward by trying to be reckless. Adding onto that, hearing his voice was the only thing that helped her gather her stuff to face everyday without him, besides having Jacob near her.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
Jacob tells Bella on the beach (after he's a wolf) that the wolf part just builds up in that person until something triggers it. Billy probably was trying not to trigger that too soon since Jacob was perfectly fine with Bella and didn't need to think of what his future would be. Jacob could have handled it, I'm sure, yet I'm not sure he would have been quite ready because Bella wasn't as close to him in the start of New Moon as towards the middle. It would have been easier for Jacob to have become a wolf and then start being with Bella yet, this way in the book, their relationship became stronger than before. (Bad for Edward, good for Bella)

An innocent comment, I think. Bella's already been told how pale she is and people in Forks just really can't figure out how someone from one of the brightest places could be so light. =P

I don't think Bella knew if Jacob being her "fix" would be temporary. She had never heard from Edward since the day he left and why would he come back at that moment when he had been gone for months? Bella didn't want to be his girlfriend yet during the entire book, she said that being near Jacob made her feel like she wasn't falling apart compared to when she was alone. She would need him, no matter what, through the series.
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I honestly think she liked the idea of being dangerous and hearing his voice. Maybe she thought that he would somehow come to her rescue.

I really don't think at this point he would have been able to understand. Only when he changed is when he would be able to understand. He didn't believe any of the ancient stories really so I'm not sure if he would have bought into it. It might have changed his mind though, about them in the first place.

I think it's just an innocent comment. She's supposed to be tan because of where she's from, so I guess people still like to point that out?

I don't think Jacob is something temporary in her life and I'm sure he would be her "fix" in eclipse if something upsets her. Even though I've read Eclipse those are my initial thoughts - that he would always be there for her.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

Because she was looking to be wreckless and she liked the way they looked cliff diving, as if they were flying with no cares ar worries in the world. She didn't know that she could generate Edwards voice that way yet.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

Because he didn't want to scare his son, he wanted Jacob to be a normal teen as much as was possible. I don't thikn Jacob would have understood I think he would have thought as he thought before, that his dad was believeing in legends but that was all they were old legends to him.

An innocent coment on Jacobs side. He is just making conversation with Bella that's all. And he reather mention her paleness than what a mess she looked like.

I don't think that Bella thinks of him as a temporary fix. She knows he is her fix but she wants to be Jacobs friend for as long she is able to not just till she feels better which will never happen as long as Edward is not around. There would be nothing to fix her heart is not broken when Edward is around and she is never mad at Edward. At least not mad enough to run to Jacob so that he could make her feel better.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!