A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by sazykid »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I really think it was a combination of all of those. For sure she wanted to hear Edward's voice, that is a given. She is always the responsible person so being absolutely free of everything was probably tempting. She could leave her pain and responsibility on land and for a few seconds, have nothing to feel but falling from the cliff. I don't think she wanted to kill herself, or even planned to. However, if she got hurt, I don't think she'd care at this point. Edward took away so much of her that nothing else seems to really even matter anymore.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
Jake probably wouldn't have believed Billy. Jake isn't exactly happy when he finds out the truth, so no, I don't think he could have handled the truth in the beginning.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob. "I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says. Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
Its obvious that Bella is pale, that was pointed out almost immediately in Twilight. I think Jake was talking about the fact that Bella is like a zombie. The life has basically been sucked out of her. It's not literally the color of her skin that is being pointed out. Jake is drawing attention to her emotional state.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
It seemed like she thought she'd be dependant on Jake for a very long time. I'm pretty sure she had no idea Edward would ever come back. I thought they would be friends in Eclipse, but I didn't think Bella would continue to need him the way she does in New Moon.
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I beleive both...she thought it was cool that they seemed not to have a care in the world and if she was being irresponsible she would hear Edward's voice again.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
I think Jacob wouldn't have understood he would have probably ran away.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
I beleive this is an innocent comment on jacob's part. It is funny thought how many 'innocent' comments are made...especially how warm he is.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I think she thought it was permanent, but she was hoping that it would be temporary and edward would come back if she was being reckless. I beleive Jacob will always be there for her when she needs him.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue? I figured she just wanted to hear his voice again.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon? I think he was probably hoping to keep him away from that as long as possible, protecting Jacob. He probably could've handled it.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
to me it just seemed like some weird random comment. I didn't see any special meaning behind it.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward? She figured Edward and the Cullens were never coming back so she figured he would always be her friend & there for her. Had no thoughts w/regards to Eclipse.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

I think it was some of both. She wanted to break her promise and for once not have to think. She's been through so much pain, she doesn't want to grow up and own up to what she's doing, she just wants to act young and free for a while to forget. She also really wants to remember Edward, but she can't without pain unless she hears him voice in her hallucinations. It's a break from the emptiness she always feels, and she would do anything to hear him again.
I think he wanted to wait and see if/when it happened to Jake. He also didn't want him to have to worry too much until he had to. It would probably freak Jake out, and it's almost better just to not know as long as you can. It would probably be worse waiting to turn into a giant wolf. The apprehension would make it impossible for you to enjoy the time left you had to be normal. I think Jake would have been scared and probably confused. He wouldn't have known how to act toward his friends, and he might not have been as close to Bella if he knew what was going to happen to him.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
I think it's just a reminder of how Bella feels, she is even paler than before, and it shows how empty she feels inside too. I think it also shows that Jake knows not to say their name, and how much he notices.
4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I think she never really looked to the future, she didn't want to see how little there is left for her in a future. I think she just knows that she needs him now, and he will be there for her as long as she does. She doesn't ever know they will come back, and she might still need him after using him to help her for so long, just as a habit and how she let him become a part of her without even meaning to.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I think she mainly wanted to hear Edwards voice, but she was depressed, lonely and torn in half because of Edward leaving, and she just wanted to do something that was dangerously stupid and random. She had no control over anything anymore, and so she let herself free I guess

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
Either Jacob would freak out or he might've gone and told people. Tbh, I don't care about Jacob so :D

I don't know..

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
No, I only thought Bella would hang around Jacob until Edward was back.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

I'm sure it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again.

No, I think Billy wasn't able to tell Jacob about Sam and the other's because they're not even allowed to tell anyone about it. I also don't think Jacob could handle or understand the truth if Billy told him, maybe if he saw it first hand or something...

I think it was an innocent comment from Jacob, Bella has always been aware of her fair skin.

I thought he would be her fix for awhile and if Edward didn't come back she would eventually not think of Jake that way anymore. I didn't expect her to continue to think of him that way.
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Hear Edward.

Not really. He'd already been told the stories, somewhat, obviously Jacob wasn't picking up on it.

The porcelain part feels like it was meant to indicate that she's breakable and delicate. However she took it a different way, so innocent. Ugh, why am I defending that stinky Jacob?

Yeah, I think she is just using him for her ulterior motive--Edward. Yes.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think she jumped mainly because she needed to hear Edwards voice. It was the only way she could think about him without going to pieces. She needed to feel close to him even if he wasn't there. I do not think that she wanted to kill herself at all. But I do think that she wanted to be stupid and reckless and break her promise.

I think Billy wanted to wait and see if there was any need to tell him. If he didn't phase, there would be no need for him to know. So Billy wanted to save Jacob for a lot of worries. I don't think that Jacob would have been able to understand the truth if Billy had told him. He didn't believe any of the legends, so why would he believe the one about werewolves.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark"side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I think it is Jacob commenting on how the hurt she feels inside is showing so clearly on the outside. She is even more pale than before, and her face shows that trauma that she has been through and is still going through.

It seemed to me that Bella thought Jacob would be there for her always. She probably believed that the Cullens would never come back, and she needed Jacob. As for her calling Jacob her"fix", I think she refers to the fact that he can only give her temporary relief from the pain. When he's not around, the wound is wide open again.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

These questions were provided for us from Jazziegeorgie.

i just thought to hear edwards voice again and mayb it would kill her since she wanted to cheat

i dont think so he could handle and what if jacob didnt turn into a warewolf there was no point of him knowing

i really didnt think anything of it she is pale im sure there is a meaning behinde it but i cant think of it

yes i think she would run to jacob when someyhing goes wrong with jacob he is her safe habour
Alice Fan
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice Fan »

She was obsesed on Edward. It's just like Jacob put it--he said that he was like a drug for her. And like he said to Edward, if Bella had just let go, she would've been fine.

Billy saw how Jacob acted around Bella and telling him would only freak Jacob out and he would probably either tell Bella, or run away to get away from it.

It might be that he thought that she was going to be like them and it was unavoidable? I personally don't really have an answer to this one.

No, she thinks that it is permanent until that she realizes that she has to go get Edward, then she doesn't know where it will go from there.