A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 6 ~ Friends

Post by Alphie »

These questions were provided by the lovely Seraphyn.

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 6 ~ Friends

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
The Quileutes were impacted, but we didn't really know how til later on in the story. Nothing changed because so much of the town's population avoided them, it was always like they kind of weren't there.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?
It was almost like some kind of intuition. I'd have to re-read it (and I don't have a copy of the book at the moment) to answer in depth.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?
I think part of it had to do with the fact that the Cullen's and Edward are not around to lavish her with attention. She wanted to be noticed instead of not noticed at all. Add to that that Jacob was around, and that she could forget about Edward, at least in part around him, and there you have it.

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?
He put it ALL on Jacob. He's happy that she seems happier.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
I assumed it was going to be a large part of the plot since it came up again. I wondered about werewolves (or shapeshifters or whatever) but just let it go until the storyline expanded.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

At this point in the story, Bella appears to be the only one affected by the Cullen's departure. Nothing really has changed because the Cullen's didn't interact with anyone in Forks, the closest human contact they had was really with Bella. It didn't really matter to anyone (except Bella, and to an extent, Billy) that they had left.

I think the dream becomes more and more clear the more that Bella sees it. I think Bella's contact does change her perception Sam Uley because she goes my whatever Jacob thinks of him. She doesn't really know him, but Jacob does and so she bases her feelings off Jacob.

She believes that Edward is gone. Now she has Jacob in her life and she wants to be friends with the people she was with last year. She misses them.

I think Charlie is definitely more comfortable with the new Bella. He probably does realize that a lot of it comes from Jacob - especially when he saw them holding hands.

At that point, I did think that there would be more to the story with the second sighting. I didn't know what was going on but I didn't think it would turn into what it did (although it shouldn't have surprised me that it did!)
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Just because we don't know what everyone else is thinking... I am sure that everyone has noticed. How could you not?

I think Bella's renewed contact with Jacob reminds her of her of Sam Uley. Still a bit creepy.

I think bella never wanted to be "invisible" she just didn't want any extra LOOK AT ME attention. Now it is like she isn't even there at all. truly invisible. I hope that makes sense.

I think Charlie is happy but unsure and nervous about Bella's state of mind, life, being... etc

I really thought that everyone was seeing a big bear. It is 100% possible, I live close enough to know, so it is notable and newsworthy but not impossible. I forsaw no future at this point but I was smelling something. I made note of the event but nothing more.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

bella still goes about her "normal" schedule...but inside it's all different

My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?

The Quileute tribe was affected, obviously, but in a good way for them. They never really liked the Cullens. Just because something doesn't affect someone else in a bad way doesn't mean it never affected them in the first place, if you know what I mean.

Nothing changed because everybody is continuing to go about their day the way it always had been, except for Bella.

I think so. I have to go back and read this chapter of New Moon again before I can really answer this question.

I think she was afraid of everything repeating itself. She had some horrible things happen to her the year before, although this time there is no Edward to protect her.

Charlie continues to keep a close watch on Bella, just in case, although he's very happy with the changes that are being made to her. I think he knows most of it is Jake's doing.

Yes, I thought there might be more to it than what there was. I never imagined werewolves (excuse me, shape-shifers) to be so big!

I thought something supernatural was going on, although I wasn't sure what. It surprised me when it turned out the way it did.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence? Everyone tied to Bella has been affected by the Cullens leaving. Nothing has changed much by the way the friends act, still absorbed in their teenage things.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why? Her dream was different in that Sam was in it, whereas before, there was just nothing...Bella searching through the forest. I think the renewed contact with the Blacks could have changed her perception of Sam; in the dream, she said he had unfriendly eyes.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year? I think she has realized that she needs to get on with her life (as much as possible).

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing? Charlie does perceive that Jacob has an influence in Bella's behavior. As with any dad of a teenage daughter, he wants to tread lightly, not upset the balance, or push too hard.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did? I can't remember how I felt the first time I read the book, even though it was just a few months ago; I've read this one 4 times now.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

At this point, she is the only one affected by the Cullens leaving. Nothing has changed for anyone but her.

She wants to get her mind off her lonliness, I think.

I think so...

I figured it probably had something to do with the wolves...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
I don't think she's the ONLY one affected, but yes she is obviously the most affected. The other people who I think are affected are the Quilleutes, obviously, but I always saw them as having their celebration and then pretty much moving on (at least until I finished reading New Moon that is!) I think Carlisle is pretty affected, he seemed pretty shocked but Carlisle leaving and the deficit that it would be to the town. I think not much has changed, all the people at lunch seem to pretty much be the same, aside from being a tad more mature, like I see Mike as having matured. Not Lauren or Jessica though, they seem the same. I don't think anything else has really changed. At least not anymore, things might have been different right after they left, but I think things are back to routine for everyone except Bella.

I don't really know why the dream is different. My first thought was because it was that she was spending so much time in La Push. I know she wasn't with Sam or anything, but that maybe brought him into her subconscious. I felt like in the dream, Sam was obviosuly trying to tell her something or warn her. It's hard for me to tell from her dream if he is friend or foe. I think the contact with Jacob's family gave her the general sense that the Quilleutes were all good people, but I think the dream might have scared her some about him. At least it would me. I don't think her perception changed much.

I think because she feels so alone since the Cullen's left, also because she knows it would be nice to have some distraction. When she's left alone to her own devices its like she can't help but think of him which is of course painful for her. She maybe thinks she would feel better if she were involved with friends more.

I absolutely think he pervceives it as being related to Jacob. I think Charlie is just bracing himself for Bella to fall apart again, he's happy to see her in a lighter mood, but is probably cautious of the fact that it seemed so sudden and he's maybe in disbelief about it, like is it for real.

I knew it was going to be an animal, and probably not a black bear, or at least not any normal bear that we've heard of before. I had NO idea that it was what it really was. I really had no idea, I kinda feel silly that I didn't see it, but I really didn't.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think that Bella is the only one affected by the Cullens leaving, because she was really the only one who knew what they were. [besides billy]. Nothing changed because no one really interacted with them when they were here.

Because Sams face was not friendly. I dont really think that her renewed contact with Jacobs family had any change of her perception of Sam. It was probabl just her dream that made her think.

Because she wants to be able to have friends. And try to be normal.

Charlie is happy that Bella is able to smile and be a little bit happy. I think he knows it has something to do with Jacob.

I was thinking that something had to have been going on. I didnt know what to expect.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]