A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 6 ~ Friends

Post by futurevampire »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
They stayed away from everyone else and normally avoided society. They weren't really friends with anyone, so it wasn't really a big deal for everyone else. They probably felt relieved.
2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?
Bella is more awake now, and she's even a little happier from spending time with Jake. She's also remembering how the Quileutes didn't like the Cullens, and how Sam was the one who found her in the woods. I was also still reading too fast to notice/care. Edward wasn't back yet.
3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?
She'd rather just be back to normal, with actual friends and human contact to help her instead of feeling alone. Last year, she was in the spotlight. She doesn't want that, she just doesn't want to be completely forgotten by everyone.
4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?
He's surprised and probably pleased, and he probably thinks Jake's been helping her. He's hopeful she will be back to normal, but he doesn't want to get too excited when it might not actually be happening yet. He's still worried that she might go back to where she was before.
5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
Still reading too fast. Still no Edward. The actual plot was becoming tedious unimportant.
I figured it might turn into something, but who cares about bears when Edward is STILL GONE!!??
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
Yea, because everyone else acted like they didn't exist, so I don't think anyone else would care that they left.
2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?
Because I guess she had the time to step back and take a look at everything.
3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?
Because she has noone. She needs someone to cheer her up and keep her occupied. She wanted to be invisible last year because she was new, and all eyes would be on her.

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?
He's glad shes chirped up, but realised shes not the same. He thinks all of it is to do with Jacob. Gah!
5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
I thought that there was some huge monster on the loose. I didn't know it ha anything to do with bella/vamps/wolves. :S hehe
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
No one else interacted with the Cullens so Bella is the only one affected. The Cullens are very used to leaving a place while at the same time making sure "nothing" changes. They have to leave where ever they are every 3 or 4 years.

I'm not sure why the dream changed at the point it did actually.

Because she wasn't trying to be invisible last year, she just didn't want to be noticed or stand out as a weirdo. This year she is trying to get back to acting like herself, not her "zombie" self.

I think that Charlie is treading lightly with this new Bella. He doesn't want to do something to throw her back. I think he is aware of Jacob's importance in the change for Bella. I mean, Jacob is not the reason why Bella is no longer a zombie, but Charlie wouldn't know that it is because Bella heard Edwards voice. And Jake truly is making Bella better, but hearing Edward took her out of her "coma".

Yes, I realized it had to do with werewolves, my sister spilled the beans :( But I had no idea how much of a big part they would become.
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Bella & Charlie, Charlie because of Bella. I guess anyone that shows up at the hospital as a patient.

Sam still seemed the same, he just suddenly became a figure in the dream.

When she was in Phoenix, she was invisible, and wanted the same feeling when she moved to Forks, which didn't happen. Now that she's "awake" she wants to be visible, like how she was when she came here.

Curious. The waking up and then hanging around Jacob--seeing them holding hands, quite a bit of it would be him.

Originally still thought it was Emmett.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Bella was the only one that really interacted with the Cullens, so at this point she would be the only one affected by it. They had not made any other friends, and kept mostly to themselves. I guess the staff and patients at the hospital would miss Carlisle. Other people noticed the Cullens and their beauty. Bella connected with them and loved them, so of course she would be the only one devestated by their departure. Of course this is based on what we knew so far in New Moon.

Can't rememeber this right now..And I don't have my book with me, so have to re-read and edit. Posting on the Lex while I'm at work.....

Her life is turned upside down now. Edward is gone, and last year, all she wanted and needed was his attention. I don't think she wants to be the center of attention now. I just think she wants people to notice her. Maybe that will distract her and keep her mind occupied so she won't have to feel the pain all the time. She suddenly finds herself all alone, and realizing that she needs her friends.

Charlie is happy that Bella is feeling better. I think he is still worried that she's going to slip back, but he is relieved that she seems to be doing better. I think he gives Jacob a lot of credit for it, since he knows how much time Bella spends in La Push.

I knew it would be important. But if I am to comment on my feelings the first time I read New Moon...I knew it was there for a reason, but I did not stop to care. All I wanted was for Edward to come back, so I was reading super-fast.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

These questions were provided by the lovely Seraphyn.

nothing has changed only bella looking like a zombie and therefor how people treat her has changed

i didnt think anything of it since it was just a dream

she wants to make her father happy and realised that she was a zombie

i htink he knows that jacob is the reason why bella is being the newe bella

i did think it was a warewolf due to the title new moon and also if it wasnt important then it wudnt be in the book really
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
Bella is the only one affected by the Cullens leaving. Before Bella, the Cullens hung out with themselves and didn’t really interact with the school kids. It was just one of those things where Bella brought them into the forefront of everyone’s mind. They left it went back to life as it was pre-Cullen.

I don’t think it has changed yet. I think that going back to the Black’s brought Sam back to her because of the skin similarities and all that. I highly doubt that she would change her opinion on Sam yet.

She had friends now. She wanted to go back to normal with Jess and Angela and Mike. I think friends makes an entire difference.

Charlie realizes he can go back to doing things that he used to do like fishing and working on the weekends. He knows that the change is Jake and is willing to just let it be.

It goes back to the question from before. I thought of the legends again. But I didn’t think anything of it. Why would a bear bring Edward back? Then I thought bear and was like well maybe it won’t bring Edward back, maybe it’ll bring Emmett back because of Emmett’s love for bear. And this time instead of Edward being the one to rescue Bella it would be Em. Yea that’s pretty much how I felt.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Nothing has changed because the majority of people just thought of them as another family -- but Bella was not the only one affected. So were Charlie & the Quileutes.

I think Bella's renewed contact w/ the Blacks had an impact on her subconscious & made the dream change. I can't remember exactly how the dream was different than before but I don't think it really had an impact on her thoughts about Sam at this point

It's because of what the invisibility represents. In Twilight it meant unwanted attention; while in New Moon it meant people (including herself) remembering she still exists.

Charlie knows exactly how much of it is Jacob's doing. He is just so happy to see his daughter living life again, I think.

I think at this point I did that it had to be more than what it appeared on the surface.

Image Image Image
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I think she is. The hospital must suffer without Carlisle, but really, Bella is the only one that was ever attached to them. It's natural she'd be the one affected and suffering. For everyone else life would just really go on as normal, because they never had anything to do with the Cullens when they were there.

I think it just set her subconscious into motion, now that there was more going on in her life. Sam is from La Push, where she'd spent most of her time around then, and he was related in the slightest of ways to Jacob, plus he found her in the forest; I think it was her subconscious' way of telling her that she wasn't on her own anymore, that she wasn't as lost. It wasn't much of a comfort, because she never knew Sam, so she never felt comforted in her dream - but all the same, someone else was there.

Because everything has changed now; now she's used to having some attention, and not having any shows exactly how bad she'd been acting. She didn't want to be reminded of that. And the idea that nothing changed would bug her, too; no one else was affected by the Cullens leaving, and she was. It changed everything for her. She wouldn't want to think that nothing had changed, because her being invisible would be another push in the direction that the last year was a figament of her imagination.

He's ecstatic, for the main part, that she's out of her state - but nervous. Waiting for the return of ZombieBella. I don't think it occurs to him at first how great an impact Jake is having on her; but he's a smart guy, it doesn't take him long to catch on.

I realised before now that there was more to it that a coincidental mention. I had a feeling all along it was wolves. I didn't see it turning into what it was, though - I had no idea that Laurent was around and that's why the wolves were patrolling everywhere.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence? No one but Bella Ever really noticed them anyway. I think the Nothing has change comment was just about life in a small town people don't change much over a course of a year because not much goes on.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why? I didn't know why Sam was there. This was even before she knew about Sam "stealing" Embry so I had no idea why she was dreaming about him.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year? I don't think it's that she didn't want to be invisible it's that she knew the current invisibility is because of her zombie like behavior

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing? I think he's scared she'll relapse but he does see that Jacob is helping.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did? I can't really remember what I was thinking the first time I read it. I figure there had to be something.