A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 5 ~ Cheater

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I thought it was probably important, but I didn't really know what to make of it yet.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
It def. wasn't the attitude he had of her in the first book. I think he knows that Bella will only ever have eyes for Edward. I think he totally sees how numb she is and I don't think he would bother with trying to make a move now.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan?
I thought it would def. be interesting...

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
I immediately liked Jacob. I guessed that they would become better friends, but I didn't realize how important he would eventually become to her.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I wasn't surprised. I would never be able to leave Forks either.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
He was def. more relaxed this time. Even when Edward was a threat, I still liked Billy. You could tell he was only concerned for her safety.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I was suspicious that it was definitely something that was going to involve Bella or someone in her life, but I wasn't sure much beyond that, and no I don't think I had foreseen that it would become as big of a part of the whole series as it did.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
I just thought he was being kind of typical moody teenage guy. I was a little surprised that he wasn't warmer to her especially now that Edward is out of the picture, but I would guess that he has had his share of frustrations with her up to this point. At times Mike seems kind of aloof anyways, or at least he tries to be.

I thought that if she wanted to hear Edward's voice again by placing herself in danger this would 100% work. So in that respect, to get the result she wanted, it was really a pretty good idea. Of course I thought it was dangerous and was afraid that something bad was going to happen to her. I don't think I saw right away that she was wanting Jacob to help her with them, but I guess that didn't really occur to her until the kid told her they didn't work and asked her what she was going to do with them.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
I liked him simple because he seems to happy-go-lucky most of the time. That is a very likable quality in someone. I also gathered from her description that he was attractive, no Edward, but easy on the eyes. I was surprised that he had changed so much since the last time she had seen him. I knew he would be important, but AS important, no.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I was not surprised at all, if I were in Bella's shoes I would not want to leave Forks either for exactly the reason specified, that Edward had a minimally lingering presence there. Although it is very painful to her, I think Forks represents the good memories she had with him, and I would not want to go away from those. I can also totally agree where she says she can never imagine Edward as well if she were in Jacksonville, and she doesn't want to just think of him, she wants to remember him. I can totally empathize with this desire.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
Hmm, Billy is ok. I never saw him and being malicious or anything, I just didn't care for his meddling of course. I still don't find Billy as a particularly warm character, his mystery makes him a little bit itimidating to me. I don't think my impression changed much from what I had in Twilight, just that I got to see a little more of him so he was more developed for me.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
JoanneMaria
Location: crying in the midst of a boundless labyrinth of ancient trees *New York*

Post by JoanneMaria »

At first I thought it had something to do with Victoria and the vampires. I felt it would be important, but for the wrong reasons.

No, Mike never REALLY tried with Bella. He was never as forceful as Jacob. This is what leads me to believe that Mike never really liked Bella, she just would have been another "notch on his belt".

As crazy as it was, I probably would have done the same!!!

I always liked Jacob and at this point he was already important. I didn't think Bella would go on to kiss him...

No, I was not surprised at all. Bella needed and wanted to be where she could feel as close as possible to Edward. There was always hope, that Edward would return, in Bella's heart and mind.

My impression changed a little. In twilight I saw him as a very closed-minded elder. But New Moon showed me that he is a man of beliefs and many times beliefs that are rooted that deep are not easy to up-root and change.
"Life sucks, and then you die." BD 143
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

It was kind of weird that there were huge black bears around the forest. I didnt think that it was as important as it turned out to be.

He probably had some kind of idea about how Edward leaving had affected her.

I thought it was stupid. but it kind of made sense.

Yes I liked him. I think thats when I first liked him. I was sure he was going to play an important role.

I suspected it. She would do anything to hear his voice.

Kind of. He was nicer to her. And it probably had something to do with the fact that Edward was not in her life anymore.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
rapidheartbeat<3twi

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

-I figured it had some significance. I knew it wasn't just going to be a bear, but something supernatural. I think that the first time I read it, I might have thought it was a vampire.

-I think he got pretty discouraged in Twilight after Edward and Bella had been together so long, and then Bella was totally depressed after he left. He didn't want a broken girl; so I wasn't surprised.

-I've always wanted to try to ride a motorcycle . . . and I knew SM couldn't kill her off, so I thought it was cool.

-I had NO idea Jake would become as important as he did. I just saw him as the family friedn. I did not like it when he started makin' moves on Bella.

-Even though Edward could probably find Bella no matter where she was, I would do the same thing if I were Bella. To her, life is nothing without Edward, so why would you make it any harder for him to come back to you?

-I did not like the Q's attitude towards the Cullens, so I still wasn't too fond of Billy.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I just kind of thought it was filler, to be honest. I thought it was something Bella was interested enough to pay attention to, for whatever reason. I didn't think it would turn out to be important until her friends mentioned it.

I just thought he'd given up. I actually felt bad for him, an emotion I've never wasted on Mike... (don't get me wrong, I like Mike, it's just always been clear where the line was... you know, the one he's always trying to cross).

OH NO! I thought for sure she'd get herself killed. Then, for one horrifying moment, I thought that was her intent. Then I said to myself... no, she just wants Edward, poor girl. I thought it was outrageously stupid, but in the same situation, I probably would have done the same.

I always loved Jacob. Out of the whole story, Jake is my favorite character. Okay, Jake and Edward... can't choose. I knew he'd become important to her, because she was happy around him. Of course she'd do whatever she could just to stay happy, and Jake was her personal happy maker... her sun. How could he not be important. I just love Jake.

No, I understand why she didn't want to leave. Of course, to her, Forks = Edward. If Where You Live = Edward... would you want to leave?

Yeah, I thought he was a good guy. Sweet, just looking out for his family. (I pretty much count Bella as part of that family. They're just one big family, them and Charlie.) But I was still mad that he didn't like the Cullens, and I was a bit peeved that his good behavior was probably a result of their absence.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I thought it was just a story and no I had no idea it would be that big of a deal, I was just like OOOO bear for Emmett LOL

Yeah, but then it made me like him more because I thought he was trying to give her space to get over Edward

I thought she was crazy

I knew they would be good friends. And I did like him I just though he wasn't her soulmate, he wasn't Edward.

Yes that and the fact that Forks was the only place she had friends.

I liked him more from this point on.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

At first, my thoughts were that there was a big bear and who else loved bears? (Emmett) lol I really wanted Edward to come back so I guess my head was filled with any sign of him coming back. Anyways, I was thinking of another clan of nomad vampires or maybe another mythical creature than vampires and werewolves.

I didn't know for sure what was wrong with him. I mean, if he worked so hard to get Bella when Edward was there, then why wasn't Mike trying when Edward wasn't there? I still am confused. .

Pretty brilliant! lol Bella is clumsy but I thought with Jacob' help, she would be safe enough. Plus, if she got to hear Eward again, I guess it was worth a couple scrapes and bruises.

He sounded really cute. XD (With a haircut he would be really cute! lol) I was amazed at how handsome he sounded and how tall he grew too! When she said that she remembered how much she liked Jacob, I knew some kind of chemistry was going to be there.

I was in thought of Bella thinking that Edward would come back somehow and someway. In Twilight, he explained to her how long he had been waiting for her and how much he loved her.

Yea, it was always like Billy was on Bella just to get her away from Edward. Now, it's like he wants her to be around Jacob a lot more 'cause, first off, Jacob loves her, and to Billy, Jacob would be best for her. (Yeah right Billy!!)
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I didn't even really see that the first time around. No, I didn't think it was very important at all.

Well, she wasn't talking to him for four months, so I thought his behavior was normal. No, I wasn't surprised.

Just like Edward, I didn't like it. Too dangerous, especially considering they weren't wearing helmets.

Yes, but not as much as I like Edward, even after doing everything to her that he did in this book. No, I didn't think that, I was still hoping to see Edward any page now.

Yes, I was surprised, one of my exes lives in a different part of my city and I can't visit that part of the city without getting a panic attack.

No, it didn't, I still thought Edward was better than Jake.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be? I thought it would be important, but I had no clue why.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her? I figured he knew that with her zombie-like state nothing would help her.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan? Crazy.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did? I thought he would become important, but I knew he would make a move on her and I resented him for that.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not? No, why leave half-way through senior year anywhoo?

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not? I always figured he was a kind man who was prejudice and my feelings never really changed.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com