A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 5 ~ Cheater

Post by Dovrebanen »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
The first time I read New Moon I really wasn't focused enough at this point to see the importance of the bear. Too stressed out because Edward was gone. But I don't think anything is in the books by coincidence, I think SM has a plan behind every detail.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
Even Mike can't be so completely clueless that he didn't see how broken Bella was, it was obvious to everyone. So he probably knew that making a move on her would be completely useless. And he also saw that Bella was not really there mentally, her mind was of somewhere else.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan?
Bad, bad idea... Bella is clumsy and she has never been on a motorcycle before in her life. That is really stupid and reckless. But to an extent I understand where she's coming from. She needed to feel close to Edward without consciously thinking about him, and this was the only way she could hear his voice. So it was very stupid, but maybe she needed it.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
I liked him. He is a best-friend-sort of guy. Smiling and funny and open. I figured he would be an important character, mainly because I saw him as Bella's only way of getting through the darkness.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I completely understand why she wouldn't leave Forks. As long as even a small piece of Edward lingered there, she would stay. It was the only place that she had memories of him, and she needed to stay there. She couldn't break that last bond that she had with him. And I think that she also subconsciously wanted to stay in Forks in case he came back for her.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
Not really. But I have to admit, I never liked that he was so hostile towards Edward. He didn't know him. He based all his prejudices on what Edward is, and not who is as a person. I know he was just looking out for Bella though.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I thought, wow a big bear. Hmmm. Something is up. Instantly my mind jumped back to the legends from the first book and then I remembered they were wolves and not bears. I was like seriously, bears are going to be what brings Edward back to Bella. That’s a little insane.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
I was so pleased with Mike in this chapter. He was being a good friend and giving her the space that she needed. It made me happy to see that he wasn’t jumping on the fact that Edward wasn’t around anymore.

I was irritated by it. I couldn’t believe she went and got bikes to hear Edward. I was with Edward 100% of the way. If something had happened to her because of that then how would everyone react?

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
At first I liked him. Then I was like God no! He can’t be doing this! There is no way he needs to be a love interest for Bells. She’s not ready for it!

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I knew she wasn’t going to leave Forks. If she left and went to Jacksonville, then he wouldn’t seem real. He couldn’t exist down there. It was just one of those things where she needed to be where it was dark and rainy and just all together a mess.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
I thought that Billy was so much more relaxed now that the Cullens were gone. My opinion of him really didn’t change, but I knew what to expect from him if any vampires did come around.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Well, I was pretty sure SM wouldn't have brought it up unless it was important. I didn't know that it would be what it was; I guess I thought maybe it would be an actual animal problem.

I thought it was really representative of how catatonic Bella had been for the past few months.

I had to roll my eyes at it a bit. This kind of stuff makes her obviously a teenager- she wasn't really thinking too much about how her getting hurt might impact her family.

I did like him -- at this point, what's not to like about him? He's just a nice kid. I didn't know what his role in Bella's life/story would be.

I wasn't surprised she didn't want to leave Forks. I mean, it was the place where (as she sees it) all the good things in her life happened & if she left it would seem even more surreal than it already did.

He seemed much lighter & more carefree in NM than in Twilight. My perspective didn't change; I always liked him.

Image Image Image
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Yeah. I kind guessed it was wolves all along, right from Jacob's stories in Twilight. And Jacob being a wolf would be pretty important.

I thought it showed him in a better light than usual; at least he has some morals, not trying to take advantage of her in her zombie state. Or maybe she was just unreachable to him.

I didn't think much of it; motorcycles don't strike me as being dangerous. I was just glad she was up and doing things to keep her out of her stupor.

I thought he was sweet, and I was glad he cheered her up - though I was actually almost grateful for the nightmare, because they meant that he wasn't replacing Edward. I didn't think he'd become quite as important as he did; not in the way that he did, anyway.

No, I knew she'd want to stay there. Forks is Edward to Bella; she'd have no interest in it without him. It made sense that she'd want to stay there, surrounded by it. Plus, should he decide to come back (and I think there was a tiny part of her that hoped he would, no matter how subconscious it was or how much she tried to repress it), he'd find her easily.

Not really; I gathered he'd be pretty light-hearted and laid back without vampires in the precinct. Besides, he wanted Edward and the Cullens gone, and he got his way - that was bound to make him happy.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be? NO I had no idea.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her? I was not surprised she did say she'd been a zombie up to the point in the street in Port Angeles

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan? Sweet! Wish I was so luck to come across two motorcycles being given away.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did? Well when she thought of Jacob when she was talking about mechanics to the boy I thought I knew were Stephenie was trying to take the story so when Bella got to La Push I did not care about Jacob Black at all. I was made that she may be trying to "replace" Edward.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not? I was not surprised she wanted to be were he had been. Tho she was careful not to she could picture him standing around in forks. Even tho she didn't want to remember she wanted to be reminded that he did exist he was real.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not? I didn't really have a negitive impression of him in Twilight so when I met him here he was just a regular dad/friend of a dad trying to protect her before. So I was like Bella and knew he was just looking out for her. To him Edward is a vampire doesn;t mater that he doesn;t hunt humans the threat is still there.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

WEREWOLF!! and yeah i knew it would be important

i thought it was sweet of him to still be so nice to Bella even though how she's been acting the past few months.

kinda screwy but hey whatever works for you Bella

I love Jake always have always will, but i didn't know they'd become such good friends

I wasn't surpised i thought Edward would be comeing back and sense he can't read her mind i thought Forks would be the first place he would look.

Yeah i used to think he cared about nothing else but the vampires being gone but i saw that he is a really nice guy
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i didnt think much of it until it started popping up everywhere! then i started freaking out. i mean, hello, there are giant bears in the forest! i wouldnt sleep at all!

mike, mike, mike... i was shoked at how far he was taking it!

*smacks forehead and rolls eyes* what are we going to do with her???!!!

my thoughts were literally "what. a. cutie!!"

yes! i thought it would be a releif to get out! guess not...

yep! i was definetly suspicious. it seemed like he was hiding something...
Betting on Alice.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I knew it was the werewolves just b/c I figured it out before I read the book.The title of the book made me think of werewolves.
I think Mike knew she wasn't being Bella and is kinda giving her space.
I understood why she did it even though it wasn't the safest idea.
Through Bella's eyes I felt like Jacob was being a good friend being there for her. I did like him and yes I did know he was going to be important to her.
I was not surprised if I was in Bella's shoes I wouldn't want to leave Forks either it was the one tie to Edward.
6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not? I could understand why Billy acted the way he did. He was just being a concerned friend to the family. He has grown up his whole life listening to the legends that he can't help but judge the Cullens.
Banner by TammyAZ
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

Questions supplied by Seraphyn -

No, I had no idea.

Yes, I was. I guess he didn't like this zombie-Bella.

Reckless. But: Go for it!

I was sure he was going to become important. When she mentioned Jacob, it made click. I was like: Ooooh, so this is it. Yeah, I liked him, whynot. He was nice. But as Bella, I was grieving for Edward the whole time.

No, I wasn't surprised. I'd have done the same.

I liked Billy as well. He's really nice.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Not at all.. I didn't really give it too much of a second thought.

Not really,.. she's been in like a coma-like state the last four months. I'm sure everyone go the gist that she wasn't over Edward

If she wasn't stupid and reckless, she picked the right thing. lol

She always felt so great and at ease with Jacob, I knew that they would end up some type of friends. And the way she was describing him in New Moon was almost as if he wasn't the young boy from Twilight but someone becoming a man,..

Right now, no. But maybe in time, I could see her moving somewhere or another. Even though she knows he won't come back or communicate with her.. it's the only way she's tied to him right now..

It was nice to see him more at ease and not constantly being so "EDWARD IS BAD" lol.. you can tell he's a great guy..