A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by April Allen »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
No, I wasn't surprised. I totally understood.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
A little. Because she was really, really bad. But I knew she was not gonna go anywhere.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Well, she is like the only decent girlfriend she has. Aside from Angela. Whatever. And she knew Jessica was going to be talking a lot, so Bella could stay quiet. I guess she wasn't in the mood of talking, of course.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
Oh my God I was like: OMG HE'S HERE!, but later I had no idea why she was hearing his voice. And about putting herself in danger... of course it was reckless, but I'm sure I'd do the same. I agree with her in the part that he broke his promise too. "It will be as if I never existed." What the HELL was he thinking?!
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
Not at all. They were soulmates.. the real deal. I've dealt with a horrible heartbreak.. not as intense as Bella's of course,.. but I can definitely see something like that making you just completely numb and alive without living.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
I understand the reasoning but I didn't agree. Surroundings don't always change your mental state.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Maybe because it was like her first friend in Forks? I was very surprised she didn't take Angela,.. someone who wouldn't pry or ask a thousand questions. Jess was a good choice because she knew she wouldn't have to do too much talking, as long as she could get her talking. I'm pretty sure Jess was majorely offended and won't want to be Bella's friends for awhile.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
When I first read this,.. I really thought it was him!! I thought maybe his vampire abilities of being super fast he was able to speak to her and not be seen or something.. Probably more wishful thinking because I missed Edward so much
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

No, I wasn't surprised. I understand the feeling. I've never experienced it as badly from a relationship as Bella, but I can empathize.

Yes and no. I could see where Charlie was coming from as a father. He didn't believe this was a healthy environment for her anymore. And I can understand that. But I ultimately have to side with Bella on this one.

Angela is too perceptive. She would've dug deeper and made the pain worse for Bella. Unintentionally of course. Jessica is in between Lauren and Angela on personality scale. She's not as petty as Lauren, but she is as shallow and vapid, she is more self-focused. Bella just wanted some normalcy, and once you get Jessica talking she doesn't quit. But ultimately Bella damaged this relationship. But of course we see later how superficial Jessica is in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, as she is able to forgive Bella.

No, I just thought she was losing it, lol. I wasn't surprised, I knew Bella would do anything to just hear Edward one more time.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I totally got it.

No, it wouldn't have made Bella deal with the problem.

Jess is easy to 'ignore' while pretending to listen. I don't think Jess was a good choice, she isn't nice enough. I felt it destroyed their relationship.

I realized it was in her head. She was off course right, but it's not smart.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

It was pretty sad. She must have really shut down when Edward left... I don't mean this in a rude way, but I'm surprised she didn't try to hurt herself after that.

I did agree. I thought that maybe if she left Forks, she could help put her memories behind her. Plus, she was much happier in sunny places anyway.

Haha, I think she chose Jess because she knows that Jess is easy to please. You don't have to be genuinely interested in what she talks about to get along with her -- as long as you just agree in the right places. Considering what the event was trying to achieve, Jessica was a good choice. This event definitely had a negative effect on their relationship, though... Jessica was already pretty mad at Bella for how she was a zombie for the past several months, and Bella's outburst during the trip was far too weird for Jess to comprehend.

I thought it was just a hallucination. I don't think that Edward is able to communicate telepathically... And anyway, he said that he was leaving Bella for good, so he wouldn't purposely show up again, even in her thoughts. I thought that Bella's solution to hear his voice was terrible, though... I agree with her dad that she should have been getting some help instead of trying to be reckless. It's just unhealthy...
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I wasn't surprised. Bella lost everything that mattered in her life, and so she had no clue what to do after that. From her first day in Forks, her life centered around Edward Cullen -- everything else was secondary. So it seemed to make sense that she was adrift without him.

Heck no! I thought that Edward would come waltzing in any second, sorry for what he'd done and the pain he'd caused Bella. So, I didn't think that she should leave because Edward might come back to find her gone.

I think Jess is more mellow than the rest and that she doesn't judge people. And I do think Jess was a good choice and that they will be closer because of it.

I wasn't sure. I understood why she was willing to seek out danger in that way, even thought it wasn't the safest thing to be doing.
LailaSmith01
Settled in Forks

Post by LailaSmith01 »

No, it was just her imagination. When Bella tried the cliff jumping thing, Edward thought she already died so he wasn't actually there with Bella as a "ghost" or something. ;)
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I was surprised at the severity of her reaction, and it made me feel (and still does) very depressed.

No. She wasn't going to get better. It was just shifting the problem to someone who would handle it worse than Charlie did.

She chose Jess because she knows how shallow Jess is and she knew that she wouldn't be required to do much going out with her. Jessica would just talk at her. I think that Jess was anxious to keep away from Bella in the future because she's worried that Bella's mental state is going to cause her (Jessica) trouble.

I thought it was really him. I thought he was still with her (still didn't think he was stupid enough to leave her alone) and that he was watching her from a distance. I must confess part of me did think that this explanation was unlikely, but hey, I lived in hope!
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

No because when you are depressed your life is dull b/c you are so withdrawn into a dark black hole with nothing around.

I understood why he did it being a concerned father but I understand Bella's reason for wanting to stay.

I thought she would pick Angela but then again I am so use to the movie adaptation, and in the book adaptation you don't see as much of Angela. I don't think it was a good choice, I think she should have picked Angela. I don't think it will impact their friendship b/c Jess either will get over it or end it.

Yes I did think it was Edwards voice, I even felt that way after I read the book. It wasn't tell I re-read it again this time around that SM made it clear it wasn't Edwards but just Bella's own mind hearing his voice. She was desperate can you really blame her after her one and only loved left.
Banner by TammyAZ