A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by debussygirl »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? No. Everything would be dull in life after Edward left. I just felt hollow.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? No, Edward had to come back and find her!!

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? Because Jess talks a lot, but Angela would have been waaaay better. It made Jess dislike her strongly.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I really, really did think it was him at first. I thought that was was going cuckoo.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
No, not at all. He was her life and without him in it she can never be the same again.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
No, because no matter where she is she's going to be thinking about Edward and the Cullens and her life will be meaningless wherever she'll go. She's finally settled in Forks so I believe she should stay.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Well, I really don't know why she would choose Jess. It might be because she would know not to mention anything to do with Edward, but also that she talks a lot and was hoping to make the time go by faster. I think Jess was not a good choice. She should have asked Angela because she's a genuine person and I felt would be better for her. This whole event negatively affected their friendship.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I was hoping it was really his voice but in the back of my head I knew that he was gone. Honestly, when you love someone that much you would do ANYTHING to feel that love again. I understand she shouldn't have done such dangerous things, but at the same time, she was desperate.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

I understand the numbness that Bella feels. I was like that for a while too. Sometimes feeling nothing is better than feeling the constant ache where your heart once was.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

Well, if I was Charlie, yes. He was a worried father and keeping her in Fork, with all the memories of 'him', didn't seem to be helping Bella cope. But, in my own perspective, staying in Forks would be better. You can't just run awau from the memories.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?

Jessica could keep up a conversation with a wall. Bella wouldn't have to do much except nod and pretend like she was listening. Though, Jess was soon able to see thorugh that and get annoyed with Bella. This was the event that turned Jess from the 'us' group to the 'them'.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?

I thought that it was somehow him talking to her. I couldn't figure out how though. I thought that Bella had gone off the deep end when she started putting herself in constant danger, but the more I thought about it, the more reasonable it seemed.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-no, i wasnt suprised. edward was bellas true love and he left, it was suprising at all bella felt the way she did. it made me feel empty inside too =/

-no i didnt. renee is someone who needs to be taken care of, not a person who can take care of somone else. if bella went there she would have to deal taking care of renee and herself

-bella chose jess to hang out with because jessica is a shallow person who loves to hear her own voice. bella knew she wouldnt have to do much talking, or listening either when she was with jess. she wasnt the best choice in my opinoin.

-i wanted sooo bad for it to be his real voice, but i think i secretly knew it wasnt. bella's solution to put herself in danger was a dumb idea, but i admit, even thought it was dumb i wanted her to be in danger so i could hear his voice too.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I was a little surprised by the fact that she hasn't got any better in 4 whole months. I felt a sad for her, but wished that she could try letting Edward go.

I don't agree, because Bella has chosen to live in Forks, and it is now her home. Sending her back to Renee wouldn't make any difference to how upset she is.

I think she chose Jess because she is very lively and normal, and likely to do all the talking so that Bella wouldn't have time to think. I think Jess was a good choice, but I personally would have chosen Angela. It affected their friendship quite badly.

I think it was just a voice in her head. I don't think it was a good idea for her to put herself in danger just to hear a few words in his voice. It didn't help her healing, as much as she thought it was making her feel better, I think it made things worse for her. Things would have gone very differently if she hadn't jumped off the cliff
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

a) not at all. b) it just breaks my heart.

If I were Bella, then I would've chosen to embark on a new life rather than living in the painful past. As a reader though, I don't want her to forget him so easily and want her to stay in case Edward ever comes back.

Because Angela will be too understanding. With Jess, Bella only needs to get her talking and she will leave her pretty much alone. Also, Jess doesn't remind her much about her time with Edward.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I originally thought it was some kind of telepathy, that he somehow looks after her from afar, and i was disappointed to know it wasn't the case. And though it's kinda sick, i'm happy that she puts herself in danger to be close to him in this way cos it proves the depth of her love for him.
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

1- i thought it was a little too draatic, but i figured it would be that way.i felt bad for her.

2-i think that it made sence. she should leave all the bad behind and go be somwhere that would remind her of edward. i glad that she didn't tho.

3-it think that it was because she was girl. and alos that it wouuld help to mend therye realationship too. i wouldn't have startd out with her tho, i would 've statred out with mike or eric.

4-i was glad that there he made an "apperance" in the story. i thought that it was him actually talkin to her thru her head (hey, anythings possible in this book).
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

Yes! I knew she would spiral but I didn't think she'd fall face first off the cliff. Those pages with the empty months really tore me up. There's nothing there but you really get a feel for the magnitude of her grief. I felt even worse when she explained how she was trying to feign coherency for Charlie's sake. From a reader's perspective I could tell it wasn't going well.

I felt four months was a long time and was starting to get concerned. At least she went out with Jess and even began to spend time registering her surroundings. I felt that was better than nothing.

Hm... I don't know. I don't think being with Renee would've helped much. She didn't know the Cullen's and can't really understand what their absence means to Bella. Staying in Forks though, does that sound like a good idea? Just laying and wallowing. Everything she sees is going to remind her of one of them. And seeing as she can't breathe every time that happens it becomes problematic. Personally, I think I would have stayed. Not to wait for any of them to return but Forks just seems peaceful and I wouldn't mind wandering mindlessly through the beautiful forests.

I think it's important to note that she only chose to "attempt normalcy" for Charlie. Bella was never really a hang-with-the-girls type to begin with. She has no interest in going out. So to make the whole process quick, painless as possible and avoid awkward questions she went out with a friend who's a completely self centered chatterbox. Bella could of put an inflatable Cher doll in the passenger seat and Jess wouldn't have noticed. Once you get her talking that girl's never coming back.

Angela was her only other female friend. Angela is also way too observant. Don't get me wrong: I love Angela but she probably would've asked Bella some seemingly harmless, thoughtful questions and Bella would've had to sit on the floor of the movie theater clutching her chest in the fetal position... awkward turtle

All her other friends were guys. They were all out of the question. They either had girlfriends or had previously tried to ask Bella out. That would've opened a whole new can of worms.

At first, I thought it might have been him. I thought maybe his mind reading was kind of working in reverse. Then I remembered, "Duh, he can't read Bella's mind". So out went that theory. I kind internalized her ending epiphany throughout the course of the book without really realizing it. When she finally said it I was like, "Well yeah" then an enlightening, "ooOOOhhh" complete with raised eyebrows.
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

Not really. Edward was Bella's world so it made sense to me that she felt that way. It made me feel a bit dull myself as well. :(

Yes and no. Yes from Charlie's perspective. No from Bella's. Charlie was right by thinking that moving to a brighter city, away from all the memories would help Bella, but then again, I couldn't keep from hoping that Edward would return so to me it felt better to let Bella stay in Forks.

Bella sort of explained this in the book, didn't she. She chose Jessica because Jessica was the easiest choice. If she would've chosen Angela it would've been much harder for Bella to attempt normalcy since Angela is much more observant than Jess. I think Jessica was the most logical choice.

I actually did think it was really him. I thought he and Bella had some sort of super strong emotional connection and that he (without really realizing it) sent her his thoughts. ... I was really convinced he still followed her around to see what she was up to.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

Surprised? no. How are you supposed to feel when you loose someone you love? I felt bad for her and mad at Edward. Anyone that has been heartbroken knows that it takes a while to get out that state of mind.

Yes and no. From a parent perspective Charlie is right. Bella needs to give herself a chance to be happy, and Forks without Edward is not the place for her. On the other hand Bella is not 10 years old and has the right to stay wherever she wants.

Because Jessica is so self absorbed that she wont notice how detached from reality Bella is. That being said..its not fair to Jessica so I think this is when Jess turns on Bella.

I thought it was him, I wanted it to be him..only because I didnt believe him as readily as Bella did, I didnt think he could just leave like that.