A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by futurevampire »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
I figured she'd be thinking more clearly, just being really depressed. I didn't think she would shut out all of her thoughts, it was amazing how bad it really was. I thought it would be horrible, just different. This made me really sad and angry at Edward for not coming back yet. I was very disappointed in him.
2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
I don't think she should have been like that around Renee. That would make her mother feel so horrible and helpless, and Charlie would be better at helping. Renee would have problems of her own, and Bella would have to take care of her, which she couldn't do when she so lifeless. Renee isn't as mature as Bella, and she wouldn't be able to take care of her. Bella also wouldn't be able to adjust to moving somewhere new with people she didn't know when she was like that.
3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Jess was the least observant, and the one who really cared about Bella the least. She would be easiest just to act normal around and be able to talk to. Jess wasn't a very good choice, because someone who doesn't really care about her pain couldn't help much and just ended up getting annoyed at her. Although it'd be better is someone could be understanding and empathetic, Bella really didn't have much of a choice when she can't talk or think about anything. Although their relationship was pretty bad before this, it could have gotten better if Bella hadn't gone crazy and walked toward the drunk guys.
4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I thought Edward was somehow actually in her head, which wouldn't make sense. I thought there was some kind of psychic thing, not very likely, I just really wished there was. I hoped he was still around somehow.
I didn't really care that Bella was putting herself in danger. She seemed so bad off, and I was already mad, if she was going to be stupid, she can go ahead, it is better than being in so much pain. And I wanted her to keep hearing his voice.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
vampqueen101
Settled in Forks

Post by vampqueen101 »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

I thought"Wow, this girl seriously, like, NEEDS some help." I'm sorry and please don't hate me for this, but really, I could not picture Bella as an EMO. And after reading New Moon, that is the impression that I have on Bella, (although I did do a bit of crying)

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

Yes, because what AVERAGE dad would understand how upset a teenage girl would be if her boyfriend broke up with her?

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?

I think she chose Jessica, because of her personality, to cheer herself up. I have a friend who is kinda like Jessica (in fact, several) and they are people who i can always count on to cheer me up, or to talk to.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?

I wasn't really his voice, it was merely a hallucination. And also, I thought that solution was absolutely RIDICULOUS. Like I said in the above, this made me think Bella was Emo. In my book, hurting yourself to hear a comforting voice in your head falls under "Self-harm".
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I felt so sorry for the poor girl. But I can understand that. She LOVED him.. wanted to be with him forever.. and he felt the exact same way.. and then he just vanishes.

No, it would not change how she feels. She would never get over it, so sending her far away from all the memories wouldn't have done anything. I think it would make it worse.

She probably thought hanging with Jessica would take her mind off everything. She would concentrate on Jessica blabbering about stuff and not about Edward. I don't think it was a good choice because Jessica likes being with bubbly, gossipy people and she would gossip and spread stuff about how droopy and depressing Bella's being. Idk.

Edward was always there with her in her head. Because Edward is so against her doing anything remotely dangerous, she just thought of Edward at those times. If I was her I'd do the same thing.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

All too real and reminding me of the past.

Change of scene may help, but then she'd still spend a ton of time by herself there as well and really wouldn't do much.

Jess was the first girl to take Bella in when she moved there, and were friends until everything happened. Jess was the best choice, but it seemed to destroy the friendship they had. It wasn't until the night was over she realized she had become a zombie. And really the only way to salvage it would be if she just opened up about everything--well, almost everything, about Edward. Let the pain consume her, though hearing his voice seems to be her new fancy.

Yes, really his voice. Her crescent wrist could be the source of it, where a little bit of him remains. As for putting herself into danger to hear the voice of the lost love, I would do it.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

no i wasnt if my partner leave me i would be in the same state proberly even worse

i do think she should since then she wont be surrounded by all the memories

i think she should have choose angeli. but choose jess as she the one that can talk and talk and technically jess was her first friend

i thought of both reasons mainly edward is in her head knowing what is happening to her rather than she is making it up
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I was not surprised. Edward had become her whole life during the time they spent together, so to break down completely when he left, was only natural. They had such a strong relationship.

No, I did not. Maybe that she should spend a couple of weeks in the sun with her mother, but I think that she should live in Forks. I think she needed to be close to the places so closely attached to Edward, even if she wasn't allowing herself to think about those memories. I also think that Charlie would be more able to give Bella some space than her mother would.

Jess is shallow, selfcentered and talks a lot. So she wouldn't notice if Bella was quiet. Jess wouldn't care enough to ask about Edward, so the conversation would be safe. I would have gone with Angela. But maybe Jess was what Bella needed. But their friendship never really recovered after this.

I wanted it to be his voice, but I didn't believe that. I was convinced that Edward was far away, and even if he was paying attention through Alice's visions, he did not have those kinds of abilities. He couldn't talk in someones head. So I figured it was some powerful hallucinations, her subconscious talking to her. Putting yourself in danger to hear someones voice, is of course insane. But hearing it meant so much to Bella, that it almost makes it understandable.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

I knew she was going to be acting for Charlie’s sake. She had made a promise to Edward that she would carry on for Charlie. There was no doubt in my mind that she would go through the motions. But she was a shell and we all knew it.

Nope. I thought the best thing for her would be to stay in Forks. She had a support system there, she just didn’t have the chance to go find it yet.

I knew the reason she chose Jess was because it didn’t take much for Jess to just start talking and to keep going. Bella had no work when it came to Jess. It was what she wanted. I think Jess was a good choice if Bella hadn’t gone crazy and heard Edward. I think that Port Angeles was what made Jess go completely to the dark side.

At first I had this thought of oh crap! He’s powers expanded and he has such a connection with Bella that he can finally see things. But then when she figured out it was the danger I was more aggravated at her. I took the Edward stance on it all. She made a promise. Nothing stupid or reckless and what does she go and do?
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
Reese1603
Settled in Forks

Post by Reese1603 »

No, I was not surprised. Having been through similar pain of abandonment myself (when i was little) I understand how someone can just "turn it off" and feel totally numb to avoid the pain. its sometimes better than feeling anything. When i was reading it, it was like I was feeling the pain for her - but its probably just because I let myself get carried away in the book! Of course, I cried.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? Yes and No. I think that it might have actually helped her, but knowing what I know about the book, no. Then again, her mother was not there with her when she was in love with Edward, and therefore she doesn't really understand. Not that Charlie understands, but you know what I mean! I understand why Bella didn't want to leave. I don't know, maybe it would have been worse for her, maybe not.

I think she chose Jessica because she would be easier to try and stay numb with. Jessica never really cared a ton about Bella, and just basically used her to gush out all her information on. Bella knows that if she went out with her, Jessica would do all the talking, Jessica wouldn't try and get Bella to talk about her feelings, and then Bella could go on feeling fairly numb like before.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? At first, I thought it was him. I actually called up my friend as soon as I read about that to ask her...and then she told me the truth. However, even knowing that - each time bella heard edward's voice I secretly hoped it was him. I guess I just wanted edward to see how much pain Bella was in and then come back!
I understood exactly why she was doing it. I probably would have done the same. However, she started taking it to extremes. And, if Edward really was going to never come back - which she believed at the time - she had to realize that it would have to stop eventually. Even if the voice didn't hurt as bad - she would have to move on - stop NEEDING his voice. However, knowing Bella, that would never happen!
xBellatrixBlackx
Settled in Forks

Post by xBellatrixBlackx »

I felt the deepest sympathy for her, she was obviously having a very hard time, i didn't expect her to get over Edward but i didn't expect her to still feel so down after 4 months either, it was horrible listening to how upset she was.

In some ways i figured it would be better for her to leave Forks because then she wouldn't have such harsh reminders and it would be easier for her to let go but in other ways i'd grown to love the rainy town of forks and there were still characters there like Jacob and Mike who i liked.

I think she chose Jessica because along with the fact that Jessica was one of her first friends when she first went to that school in Forks, she also loved to go on with herself. I suppose Bella didn't feel comfortable talking about her own life so she chose Jessica as a distraction. i don't really think Jess was the best choice for Bella, although she's a very bubbly character Angela just seems like a better friend because she's more considearate and kind. The event impacted their relationship in a rather bad way, i didn't like the way jessica acted towards bella during the rest of the night, if it had been Angela with Bella then i doubt she would have reacted how Jessica did.

At the time i remember thinking it WAS his voice, wich angered me because how would she be able to forget him if he kept intefering with her life. Obviously i was wrong. i think Bella's solution was rather stupid, she wasn't trying to forget him, she was clinging on to anything that was left of him which in this case was his voice in her head. I think not only was she putting her life in danger, she was also doing the exact opposite of what she should have been doing.
Becka
Settled in Forks

Post by Becka »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? Not at all...I've felt that way, possibly totally irrational to some people but losing someone you love does make you feel empty. I understood where Bella had been in her mind - she had been simply existing, there was no life in her or for her.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? No way...she was waiting for him to come back..wouldn't you have waited to?

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? Jessica is so light-weight and so self-absorbed it was the perfect choice. Bella knew how to manipulate Jess into doing nothing but talking about herself and this allowed Bella to remain vacant. Going out with Jess meant she didn't have to give anything of herself and it also fulfilled her obligation to Charlie. Obviously it tarnished her relationship with Jessica...she might be self-absorbed but she wasn't stupid enough to not feel used and Bella used her.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I loved this part of the book...i want it to be his voice but i'm not sure if it was meant to be or just some delusion of Bella's..The bikes, the cliff diving, the meadow with Laurent were fantastic and I like to think that Edward was still connected to her, still protecting her - I don't think that was even ever really clarified??