A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Sydflower »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
Well.. if Im being honest when I read 'The End' as the chapter name... I knew this was coming.. It still makes me sad thinking about it!

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
No.. relationships.. me.. lol. No boyfriendsies here!

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
Hmm.. I honestly cant say. I knew he wasn't coming back, it just isnt like him! But, I think I was like, wait what!! Dont just let him leave!

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Finally someone found her! I was so worried and sad.. and crying. I just needed something to happen! Not many books make me cry that hard, the first book that made me cry alot was A Child Called It.. and in New Moon, I was just so into the book I felt her pain.. you just connect with the characters when you read lol.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
Well, I was pretty much having an internal dialogue telling myself to stop crying and he was coming back lol. I remember sitting in my bed like 'Oh my god! Come back already!'
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

It really bothers me that people turn to Jacob and/or get pissed at Edward because he left. :evil: :(
That sounds like you just don't understand his character. It was utterly selfless. Heartbreaking and painful, yes, but it was the kind of sacrifice for love that most of us can't relate to or even understand. I find it really sad and wrong that someone's love for Edward could be tainted, or ruined in some cases, because of that.

"Your fault? If you'd cut yourself at Mike Newton's house, with Jessica there and Angela and your other normal friends, the worst that could possible have happened would be what? Maybe they couldn't find you a bandage? If you'd tripped and knocked over a pile of glass plates on your own--without someone throwing you into them--even then, what's the worst? You'd get blood on the seats when they drove you to the emergency room? Mike Newton could have held your hand while they stitched you up--and he wouldn't be fighting the urge to kill you the whole time he was there. Don't try to take any of this on yourself, Bella. It will only make me more disgusted with myself."

Imagine all of that happening to your soul mate, the reason and meaning for your existence, because of YOU. We also have to consider everything that led up to The End. Bella is human, Edward refuses to take her soul away, she mopes about getting older, they fight about it, and most importantly Bella is always at risk around him, his family, and all other vampires. The birthday fiasco was the straw that broke the camel's back, aka ended Edward's justification for how his presence caused so much danger in Bella's life.

"My world is not for you."

Edward did not see how it was going to work. The only way to keep Bella human, to have her live the life she was "supposed" to live, and to make sure she went to heaven...was to leave. In his mind that was the only answer. DESPITE his out-of-this-world love for her. Let's not forget that Edward was in much more pain than Bella was during New Moon. And he didn't have anyone to help him get through it.

Okay. I had to get that out.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I had no intention of reading this chapter. From the kiss at the end of the chapter before I knew he was leaving her. I just didn’t know when. My heart shattered when he finally did leave her. I went crazy.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I did. And I tried to, and then I realized that I needed to let go. I hadn’t found my Edward/Jasper yet. (Yes I call Shane my Jasper not my Edward)

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I didn’t want to believe him. I knew he was saying it, I knew he didn’t mean it. I knew he was trying to do what’s best for her. Everything he said to her in Twilight was ringing in my ears. I had to stop at that point in the book and go take a nap because I couldn’t get the words “As long as it’s what’s best for you” out of my head.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I had no real reaction to his presence. I was just like whoa. Sam and two other guys that Bella doesn’t know. Okay.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
It was hard to believe that she was “dead” for that long. I was happy when she finally woke up though.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
Soul&Romance
Wandering Through Town

Post by Soul&Romance »

Oh yeah. I knew as soon as I finished chapter two. And the minute I read the title of chapter three I was thinking "oh no, he's actually going to leave"

Unfortunately. It's like intuition, you always know when something bad is going to happen and it's just natural to want to hold on as tight as you can. I've never cried over a book (or movie) until I read chapter 3 of New Moon. I was devastated, to say the least lol

I never believed him for one second, but I knew he was going to leave regardless. He always underestimated what Bella was capable of, this time was no exception. I was upset, however, as how easily Bella believed him. She still had that naive "i'm not good enough for him" streak in her and all it took was for him to say he didn't want her and she gave up.

I was relieved. Bella out in the woods alone is never good, especially when she's more or less catatonic. The "snuffing" threw me off a little, I was expecting an animal or a Cullen..until the werewolf thing came into play.

"October" -- wow...I can't believe Edward left her
"November" -- Two months?!
"December" -- Is he serious? What is wrong with him? Is Bella actually still alive at this point?
"January" -- Okay this is getting a little out of hand. I really didn't expect him to stay away for so long

You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing.
For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope.
crystal_lynn
Settled in Forks

Post by crystal_lynn »

When I first started to read New Mood, I had a sense that it was going to be Edward and Bella forever. I never thought in a million years that it would ever end. So, when I got to "The End", I was simply speechless. I didn't understand how there could be so much love and passion in Edwards soul, yearning for Bella, yet when Bella asked if Edward wanted her, he simply stated, "No." By this point I was balling.

I really felt like I understood what Bella was going through. That everlasting love that you thought would never end and then in a flash, it's gone. It's painstaking and miserable. You don't think you'll ever get through life without that person. This chapter hit home.

As soon as Edward claimed he was done and Bella was just standing in the forest agreeing to his requests, I couldn't understand why it seemed she was letting him go easily. Maybe because she was in shock and couldn't come up with the words she wanted. When Edward said that she was human and it was easier to get over things with time was disturbing. I don't know if Edward truly understood how invested Bella was in their love.

The months pages took me by surprise. My heart started flipping out by the time I got to January and still nothing, I thought it really was the end of Edward and Bella's romance. The months passing and feeling absolutely nothing, like her heart disappeared as soon as he ran off.
"i kissed a vamp and i liked it"
Forever*Dazzled
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever*Dazzled »

I felt like soemthing bad was going to happen, but i wasn't sure if it was Edward was going to leave or if it was something else.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? I've never been in one so no.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I didn't believe him at all. I knew he was lieing to her face.

I think i would have been relivead to find her but mad that Edward was so cruel.

I was like....What the crap?
Oh My Cullen!(c)
teineakasoo
Settled in Forks

Post by teineakasoo »

1. I did feel it, as soon as he became distant at school and at her house. Those are always tell tale signs that your beloved is pulling away. I cried for Bella when I was reading this part because I knew what was coming and poor Bella knew subconsiously but couldn't face it.

2. Yes, I think everyone that's been in a relationship feels that urge to try and hold to it. Especially when it's something that you did not expect. It takes you by surprise and you want to keep that person in your life still. *tear*

3. No, I knew Edward was only doing it with Bella's best interest in mind. It would leave Bella with the wrong impression if he was all smiles and dazzle whilst breaking her heart. I really thought he was going to turn around and abandon all his worries. Boy was egg on my face and running down with my tears!

4. THANK GOODNESS!! I really thought she was going to become part of the forest because she basically gave up. Sam's question to her was a little awkward. I knew he was a werewolf when SM included the animal sniffing then all of sudden Sam found her.

5. Emptiness!! so many months of emptiness.
xroadsempress
Settled in Forks

Post by xroadsempress »

-I did. In fact, I prepared myself for the 'occurrence'.

-Yes I do. It hunts me until now.

-I cannot actually believe what he said. When he mentioned, 'it will be as if I never existed', every memory of HIM did return. And I felt like the world chose me (and Bella) to be conspired on that same day I was reading that chapter.

-He is not trustworthy. He just isn't (some gut feel. :D)

-Speechless. Bella is totally out of herself, imagine, having months pass you by? Yet, if I were her, I would really be doing the same things. Poor girl, have to suffer long, useless, empty months.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

There was absolutely a sense of forboding. The entire chapter was very uncomfortable! I had a sense of what was coming when, after he was so distant at school, Edward wanted to talk to Bella.

Absolutely -- friendships as well as romantic relationships. Sometimes it's hard to know when to let go.

3. Edward's speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I believed him as Bella did; mostly because I didn't know his character very well at this point & could only see it from Bella's perspective.

I thought it was weird and a little shady that Charlie essentially sent a stranger to look for his daughter. And I was concerned that Bella didn't react more to a stranger picking her up.

Those were very haunting & I wondered if we would ever know what really went on in those months.

Image Image Image
Reese1603
Settled in Forks

Post by Reese1603 »

Well, I have to admit that a friend kind of spoiled it for me before I started the book. However, it didn't take away from the pain....I knew what was going to happen and therefore it was almost like it hurt worse. There was no hope that I could cling to to tell myself that "it is not as bad as she is making it seem..." instead, I was thinking, "No...this is much worse than she is thinking it is...." its a feeling that is hard to explain.

I knew the whole time why Edward was doing it. The first time I read the book, it didn't fully occur to me that Bella really thought Edward didn't love her anymore until at least half way through New Moon. When I re-read it, it made the pain even worse because Bella never really understood Edward's reasons until after he came back. The entire beginning of the chapter leading up to the walk in the woods is an extremely hard one for me to read for that reason. Now, when I re-read New Moon, I skip through that entire chapter....otherwise I can't stop myself from crying every single time.

I never believed him. However, I did my best to put myself in Bella's shoes. I ended up not being able to read the entire book in one sitting (not even close), and so after reading the part where he left I had to go to work. The entire shift I was reeling over Edward leaving. I began to get very angry with him, thinking "protecting or no protecting, seriously HOW could he do this to her?!" I mean, did he really think Bella would get over him THAT easily? I knew he came back (again, thanks to my friend for spoiling it for me), but I had no idea it would even take that long. After re-reading it the second time, I understood why bella believed him - I learned to see both sides of the story.

I didn't pay that much attention to Sam. At that time, I didn't know that he was a werewolf....(even though I knew Jacob was) The first time through the book I actually couldn't remember who Sam was. I was just thankful that someone found her and brought her home. I feel bad for Sam, now, though. He had to deal with seeing Bella that way, and then deal with watching her just forgive Edward immediately. I know how Bella was able to forgive him, but I can see Sam's point of view as well.

I thought it was more forceful than it would have been for SM to describe the months in words. Time passing. Anyone who has lost anything can relate to the feeling of time passing quickly, yet slowly at the same time. The feeling of being so numb that you don't feel the time passing the same way as other people do. Its a hard feeling to put to words.