A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter One ~ Party

Post by Alphie »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
amazingact21
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by amazingact21 »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I first realized it was Bella and not "Gran" when they began to mimick each other. I wasn't really surprised, because it was obvious from the end of Twilight that age was a major concern for Bella. However, I did love the concept. the dream was beautifully written, and Bella's reaction to it was heartwrenching.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
I think the dream was only Bella's concern about getting old. I think it showed that Edward was willing to let Bella grow and die before allowing her to become immortal.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
I wasn't too surprised. I figured, as much as he adores Bella, he still needs some time to do a fe of his own things. Night is the time the Cullens can probably catch up and relax with each other. And if it wasn't that, then I just assummed he was hunting.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
I didn't think they would grow to be best friends, but I was a little miffed that he was the same old cautious Jasper. I would have thought that by being with her for an extended period of time would have allowed him to get better control of his thirst.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
I was shocked. It hurt to see Esme and the other have to leave, but I felt that it was a perfect scenario. I mean, to see something as small as a cut turn into a battle for your life was thrilling.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
No, unfortunately, I guessed that as soon as Edward saw Jasper attempt to kill Bella, all would go downhill from there. Edward is always afraid of a vampire mistake, and to finally have it happen just finalized things for him.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
No. He respects her too much and knows that truck means a lot to her.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
That's just Bella's character. I think it would have been worse if she did want to celebrate.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
That has been a great use of blackmail. It seems like ever since Alice suggested it, Bella's clung on to that tooth and nail. I don't think she should, just for the simple fact of what it does to Edward. It's like she's constantly telling him she'll kill herself.
mzedcullens
Settled in Forks

Post by mzedcullens »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? Ok I must be dense because I did not ever think it was her, but it makes sense now.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? I think it is just her fears.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? Don’t remember this part.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I did not really think anything of it, since it describes why he is always distant from her.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? The first thing that came to mind was that Edward would freak out and want to bite her. Not sure why since he was been around her blood before. Did not see the Jasper thing coming.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I thought everything would go back to normal after a while. Boy was I wrong.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? No because she keeps saying how she would not let him buy her things. I knew he would not ignore her wishes.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I think she was overreacting, but I understood why. She wanted to be a vampire of the same age as Edward and now that she was one year older, she would never get her wish. Why celebrate that??????

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I knew Alice would never do that. They all like her because she is human. Everything would change if she became human.
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by clariissaa »

When she said that its was her in the mirror =D I'm not slow alright. I wasn't surprised but I didn't see it coming either. I was just like "Oh, that's ... interesting"

No, it was just her fear of getting older. That's one of the things Bella is mostly afraid of.

Actually, I didn't even think about. I was still thinking about her dream. Edward probably needs sometime to hunt and be with his family, although he'd loves to be with Bella.

I did expect them to be closer after all that happened. He should trust himself more even though he tried to eat her but.. psh. whatever :D

It all happen so suddenly i didn't have time to think about it much. I was shocked. REALLY. I mean I know that Jasper has a hard time controlling him, but honestly Edward was going to kick his a-.. bee-hind :D .

It was all pretty drastic. Actually, confession, I already knew that Edward was leaving before I read the book cause my friend told me. :| I was going crazy when she though. And Edward was always talking about how he would leave Bella if it was necessary. It's depressing to have it happen.

At that very moment no. She would drive her truck anyway.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
For an ordinary person, yes. For Bella, knowing someone like Edward, no. That's not cool knowing Edward will say young forever that Bella gets older everyday.

She means that Alice will turn her into a vampire and she totally pissing Edward off by saying it. :twisted:
Maroseson
Settled in Forks

Post by Maroseson »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

I'm kinda dumb, (I have tunnel vision and only read the stuff in quotes so I can get more of the characters,) when it comes to reading, and didn't even see that part, (I read it but didn't pay attention to what I was reading,) until the second time I read the chapter. :oops: I know, I know, I'm lame. I didn't see it coming, but it didn't surprise me either. Just another one of Bella's crazy dreams.

No, I think it's just her fear. Seeing as Edward was whispering in her ear made it clear that it was simply her seeing the obvious, that getting old could, and would, indeed happen. It's definitely something to be afraid of when your vampire boyfriend is seventeen and you're now eighteen.

I was semi-surprised. I knew that he has other things to do, which he tends to do while she's asleep, but I thought he would've have gotten back before she woke up.

Yeah actually, I did. They seemed to kinda bond on the trip, and it made me think that possibly they would be better friends now. I can understand why he stays away from her though.

It didn't really phase me. A paper cut seems so small to me. I didn't take into consideration that she's in a house full of vampires and her blood is absolutely irrisistible.

Pretty much. I mean, I knew that Edward is very over-protective of her, but I never thought he would actually be able to leave. As he said in TWILIGHT, "I should've left long ago. I should leave now, but I don't think I can." That's what made me question whether or not he would.

Not until you metioned it now lol. But really, it didn't cross my mind. He respects her too much to go against her wishes, so a car was the furthest thing from my mind.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

Yes and no. Yes, because it's a bit childish to throw a fit because someone wants to give you a party. No, because turning a year older then your boyfriend of seventeen, who's never going to get that chance seeing as he's a vampire, is rather depressing. Not something I'd want to celebrate either.

I feel his reaction is completely justified. Granted, the only way to keep her forever is to change her, but she doesn't have to throw it in his face. It would be as if she was saying, "I want you to kill me, and if you don't, I'll find someone else to." Can you think of any boyfriend that WOULDN'T put up a fight over something like that?
Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love.
Edward Cullen ,Eclipse, Chapter 8 Pg. 195
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1) I did not see it coming at all. I knew something was up when it looked like they were mimicking, but then when Bella said it was her, at an old age, I was a bit surprised.

2) I do. I think it shows her, and the readers, that something is going to run a crack through their relationship.

3) If I were Edward, even as a vampire, I would get very bored just sitting and watching someone sleep. Maybe he went to change, and didn't have time to come back. There are many possibilities as towhy hewasn't there.

4) No. Jasper's self controll couldn't have changed much since then, even if he had warmed up to Bella. I think he was just playing it safe.

5) I thought it was silly. A paper cut leads to a worse accident. I really had no thoughts on it.

6) I just thought her and Jasper's relationship, or aquantince, would be lessened. Otherwise, I did really think things would be the same.

7) Not really, he knew she would never allow it, at this point.

8) Yes, I do, and it bothered me very much. One year older than your immortal vampire boyfriend, it isn't that bad. I think she overreacted way too much.

9) I thought it was fine. In the way Bella had meant it, she kind of sounded like a brat, like she always gets what she wants, though that isn't the case. He was just concerned, like someone would be about that. A normal reaction.
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I had a suspicion that Gran was Bella from the get go, and it was confirmed when she looked at the mirror and it appeared that Gran's arm was suspended in midair around nothing.

I don't. I think it was more of a confirmation that she wanted to be a vampire, and that growing much older than Edward seemed like an impossibility to her (hey, I'd feel the same way).

I was a little surprised, but I assumed he was hunting or something.

I really thought part of his standoffishness would have gone away, and was surprised that it hadn't. I didn't think they'd be closer, but I thought their interactions would at least have been a little easier.

I didn't think they would react, since they'd been living as vegetarians for so long, so I was definitely surprised when Jasper went for it.

I assumed Edward would keep her away from Jasper for an indefinite period. I definitely didn't think they'd leave!!!

I didn't, mostly because she'd have given him such a hard time about it.

No. It was unpleasant for her to think about getting older while Edward remained young. However, I did think it was a little silly for her to request no presents, particularly with Alice around. :)

I wasn't surprised. Edward was so stubborn about Bella's changing into a vampire, it was almost unreal! I almost wished Bella would have gone to Carlisle and had him change her.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

Not until the very end did I get it. When Edward became part of the dream and "Gran" looked at "Bella" and mirrored her movements did I realize.

It could foreshadow the future. Edward never leaving Bella...

I was surprised that he wasn't there in the morning. I figured it was because of the birthday party and Bella going over to the Cullens after school...

I guess I did expect them to be a bit closer but hey...Rome wasn't built in a day, right? I just chalk the whole thing up to Jasper still not being totally comfortable around Bella - around a human - yet.

Uh-oh! I think it was a stretch to say that she looked up into the faces of 6 ravenous vampires though. Carlisle was there and we can hardly say he was ravenous - same for Esme, also Edward. I think Alice would have been okay, the only ones I would have thought to worry about were Jasper and Rosalie.

I figured Edward would probably beat himself up over it, blaming the whole episode on himself - as usual. I guess, I might have wondered if Bella herself would be uncomfortable going to the Cullen household after that incident though....But beyond that...I didn't really give much thought to it.

No. I think that Edward knew that Bella wouldn't accept a car from him.

I can understand where she was coming from. But in a way, I think she was overreacting because she has people in her life who want to celebrate with her. She should allow them that.

I laughed at that. Bella was just pouting. Alice would never go against Edward in something that important. I think Edward is frustrated with Bella about the whole thing. Granted, she's persistent but she won't let it go and voices it often and Edward doesn't like it. He wants her to stay human. Plus I think that Edward knows, deep down, that Alice wouldn't do that - at least not without permission and only if absolutely necessary.
kristakamikaze
Settled in Forks

Post by kristakamikaze »

I was extremely suprised, well, until she realized it of course, haha.

I think it shows her fear wayy too well. I mean, who wants to be 80 and married to a man who looks 17?!

I dont recall

I expected them ALOT closer, I mean after all that time stuck in a room with her, you'd think he wouldnt be so scared.

I freaked out!

That's exactly what I thought, and I was extremely worried about it.

For a minute I did.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
A little bit.

I knew exactly how he was going to act, I mean how else would you except a man so against taking someones mortality?
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I can say I did see it coming, but just moments before it was revealed.

I think it's all about Bella's fear. 100%

He wasn't there... I just read it like 4 hours ago too... I guess I wasn't concerned that he wasn't there.

I didn't really expect them to be close after the trip. I didn't really think that Jasper had gotten closer to Bella. He had a job to do, so to speak, and he loves Edward and Alice. He wasn't looking to become friends with Bella... at least I didn't think so.

It all happened so fast that I thought. OH NO... with profanity, but I didn't expect the over dramatic tackle and take down the table..

I didn't really think there would be repercussions. Accidents happen.

Hmmm.... good question. He could have. I'd say I entertained that thought, but I also thought that there was a good chance he wouldn't dare... Bella would hate it.

What teenage dosent overreact at something. It didn't phase me at all. If I were here... I... no... I like gifts.

"I think he knew it was true and it horrified him to know this was a real possibility. I thought that immediatly."
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!