Chapter One ~ Party

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by sarah! »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
~i was suprised. lol
2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
~i figured it was just a frightening dream.
3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
~getting the car so he could take her to school.
4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
~they were a little closer after the phoenix trip.
5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
~ i was like freaking out!! and poor jasper couldnt help himself. i felt bad for him.
6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
~i knew edward would do something drastic.
7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
~no, she wouldnt take it.
8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
~yeah a little, i understand she doesnt want the class at school to sing happy birthday to her or anything, but she did overreact a bit too much.
9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
haha... overreactive edward.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I started clueing in when Gran was mirroring--no pun intended--Bella's movements, but I knew for sure when Gran had her arm around an "invisible" person--that old vampire chestnut about no reflections.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
I think that it was Bella's fear of growing old while Edward stays forever 17. It was sweet that he'd still love her all old and wrinkly, but what girl wants to look like her boyfriend's granny?

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
I was kind of surprised that he wasn't there, but I thought that maybe he'd already left or that he was letting have her morning to herself, since she wasn't all that keen on her birthday.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
I was actually surprised that he was still so distant, but I guessed that he was still having "issues" with the diet and better safe than sorry?

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
At first I didn't think anything of it, but when Edward sprung into action, I was shocked. Didn't Jasper think to feed the night before? I just thought that he'd have better control than he did.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
I had friends that had read the book before me, but none of them spoiled it for me, so I was absolutely floored! I was thinking along Bella's lines. I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked since Edward had always said he would leave if were the only way to keep her safe, but I honestly didn't think he would be able to go.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
No, never. She'd made herself very clear on this subject and I think he knew she'd just keep driving her truck even if he did get her a car. There'd be no point to it.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I think that Bella was overreacting a bit. I understood how she felt, but she was a little ungracious.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
Oh I knew that she meant that maybe Alice would turn her, and I knew exactly how Edward would react--mightily p.o.'d.
TeamEdward99
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamEdward99 »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?I definitly did not see that coming. I was as surpirised as Bella.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? Yes, because it was her 18th birthday and she was already freaked. If it didn't mean that it was her fear why have the dream on her 13th birthday.

IDK, I didn't even realize that.
4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I expected them to be closer. But it all went rigt back.

My immediate reaction for the very end of the chaper was,' Oh god Bella's dead.' I was suspicious after that.
6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I thought that she would try to space herself a little more from Jasper.

No, because charlie would never approve. And Bella would never accept that.
Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
No, that's just Bella.
9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? A little bit of an overeaction.

~ TeamEdward99 :D
HAve a nice day!! 8-)
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I was just as stunned as Bella because I didn't figure it out until she did.

No, I didn't think it foreshadowed anything. I figured she was just freaked out about aging, and she was dreaming about it.

I was a little bit surprised. He tells her happy birthday and then seems to disappear. I figured he left before Charlie woke up or something

I did think it was strange that he was being so cautious. I guessed that maybe he was more thirsty than usual and so he was being careful. Although, looking back now, maybe Alice had a vision of something going wrong and Jasper was just being careful.

Well, I guess I wasn't too concerned about it until it started to bleed. First, I was worried about Edward and the fact that he was nearest to her. I didn't think he'd hurt her, but I guess I panicked. I was totally freaked out when Jasper lunged at her. Then I was even more worried when Edward panicked and flung her across the table into all the glass. Naturally, that made me freak out about the rest of the vampires in the room...Wow, I am a nervous nelly lol.

I figured Jasper would feel awful for losing it like that and that Edward would overreact. I had a feeling there would be more to it than Bella simply not being allowed over the Cullen's house. I didn't realize Edward would take such drastic measures to keep her safe though.

No, he wouldn't want to upset her by doing something she specifically asked him not to do. And, I think he knew she wouldn't accept an extravagent gift like that if he did buy her a car.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I get that she is uncomfortable with being the center of attention, so I can see her not wanting a birthday party; she totally overreacted. But, the Cullens love her so she should have expected that they would want to do something for her. Asking Edward to keep things low key and telling him why she didn't want expensive gifts would have been a better way to go because they would have understood her reaction.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want ?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
I thin telling Edward that Alice would turn her was hitting below the belt. I don't blame him for being upset. He doesn't want to damn Bella to his fate, and he knows shes probably right about Alice.
Megan loves Edward
Settled in Forks

Post by Megan loves Edward »

I didnt realise till she actually realised it herself that it was her and not her gran. :)
acidRAYNE
Settled in Forks

Post by acidRAYNE »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? I figured it out when Bella did. I'm slow to catch onto things like that.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? No, at that point that was Bella's biggest fear.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? I think he was planning her a surprise for her birthday.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? No, I knew even though they were close towards the end of Twilight, Japser still struggled to be as "clean" as the rest of the Cullens.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? I was shocked. Bleeding around a group of vampires is never a good thing...haha.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I though Jasper and Alice would go away for a bit, maybe to Alaska. And yes, I thought that Bella's time spend at the Cullen's house would be limited.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? No, because we all know she wouldn't have accepted it.

8) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I was mad. I really wanted Bella to become a vamp.
ImageImageImage
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? I didn't figure it out until Edward was there. I was a little surprised.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? I didn't. She just doesn't like the fact she'll become an old lady.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? I didn't think about it. (I had only read Twilight once and it didn't occur to me that he should probably be there)

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I was a little surprised I thought he could be near her after Phoenix.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? I was just like oh no not good for Edward. I didn't expect it to cause this downward spiral.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I didn't expect them to pack up & leave. I liked Bella's idea.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? I didn't think so.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting? I thought she was being silly. Having a party and what not on your b-day can be fun.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I can't remember it's been so long since I'ved read this. May read it again & edit later.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

When she was talking about making the same facial expressions, I caught on to it.
I think it was mostly just that she was afraid he would never change her, and she didn't want to get old, not really anything else.
Yes, I supposed he might be hunting or something, but he usually stays over and it was her birthday, you would think he would be there, although if she was annoyed about it and wanted everything to be normal, she might have told him not to do anything special.
I thought he was just being careful, although yes, after spending a few days in the hotel room with her, he might be a little better, but just a few days doesn't make him improve with abstaining too much, and it's better just to be safe.
I mostly rolled my eyes and said, "Leave it to Bella to ruin everything with a paper cut." After reading the whole book, it's very ironic how the whole thing was caused probably because she was being clumsy and got a tiny cut. I supposed they would get Jasper away, because I mean, what is the rest of the book going to be about if she dies in Chapter 1??
Something like that, yeah, I figured Jasper would feel really bad and Edward would be really protective. I never thought he would make them all leave. I just thought they would be more careful, and maybe it would show Bella some of the risks of hanging around vampires, and she might reconsider some things and try to be more careful.
...Not really, she would be so mad at him when she wanted nothing, I don't think he would do that to her.
It seems kind of silly to get all worked up about something you can't control, just a little thing like that. She didn't throw a fit every other day he didn't change her. And they would have a lot of fun throwing her a party, so it seemed kind of selfish to be crabby about it.
I was hopeful that Alice would..and scared of what Edward would do to her, but Alice wouldn't know what to do, so it would be better if someone who had more experience changed her. I expected Edward to be angry about that, because if one of the others changed her, he might not have a say in it or get anyone to stop it. He's very stubborn about her remaining human, especially in NM.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

When 'Gran' started copying Bellas moves. No I never expected it being a mirror. I was quite surprised actually.

When Bella said that 'Grans' arm was holding the air.. I didn't think that Edward wouldn't be there because he has no reflection, I thought he wasn't there because Bella was worrying about if she gets old, Edward may not want her anymore, and he would leave.

Planning a surprise present/party or hunting or something. I wasn't really bothered to discover he wasn't there.

I didn't think anything of it. Jasper has a hard time being around humans than the rest of them. I just thought he was being extra cautious. Not wanting to do something stupid and ruin her b-day(althought he ended up doing just that)

I was like "oh, a paper cut", then I forgot they were all vamps :oops: . I didn't expect Jasper to go crazy and lunge at her. I thought Alice would've seen it coming.. but then cutting her finger wasn't a decision...

I thought that she would just have to stay away from Jasper for a while.

Probably, but hide it until he wants to give it to her... despite her refusal.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Yes. Dammit. If the people I loved wanted to throw me a birthday party.. sure I'd feel a little nervous and undeserving but I wouldn't act all sour and grumpy. I felt so bad for them. She could lighten up a bit

I hate the way Bella threatens Edward like that :( Edwards reaction was understandable.. and knows Alice would probably do it.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

I understood when they mimicked each other, like a mirror effect.

I think it is only her fear that is reflected in this dream. Most of her dreams are her fears of what will happen in the future.

Not really. He was surely planning the party.

Maybe he thought she would fall over and hurt herself? :D But really, he has a problem being around humans normally, and Alice would have told him not to stay very close to Bella, as it was her birthday and we know how Alice is with parties...

I was going to scream at Bella to look out for Jasper. I was holding my breath the hole time after the paper cut. After, everything happened in order, Edward protected her and she somehow still got hurt.

No. I had thought about Edward and Bella leaving together. I would have never thought about all the Cullens leaving.

I don't think so. He knew that she didn't want anything more than him, and he didn't want to get into uneccesary trouble.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Well, she was really afraid of her growing old and Edward not wanting her any more...but that was a slight bit selfish.

I think Alice wouldn't change her. And Bella wouldn't rest until Edward gives her what she wants...But I don't think it was fair of her to put him under pressure like that.
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way