A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by aliacullen »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
when bella realised

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
its just bella fears of growing old when edward stays the same age

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
i was i though he would be. i dont know why he wasnt

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
i did i was shocked that he went back to normal

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
i thought jasper wanst that weak wasnt he fighting james when her blood was all over the ballet studio

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
no i didnt i thought she would be allowed back in the house since everyone loves her it be only edward that be even more protective over her

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
no i dont hink he has bought her one but will buy onewhen she say yes

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
i do its her birthday you gotta have oneday where you can have all about yourself

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
normal he doesnt want er to become a vampire
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
When Bella put her arm around Edward and "Gran" repeated but found no one there.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
Given that it was the morning of her birthday, it represents her fear of growing older. Which she repeatedly vocalizes her dislike of since she's been dreading it all summer.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
Actually I didn't even think about that until now. I wonder how long that had been going on, if it has been or if it was a one time thing. Either the Gran dream had been happening repeatedly and he'd become fearful and shyed away or easing her into the forthcoming separation.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
I expected them to, but now see why.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
It seemed like nothing but after Breaking Dawn, I see it on a higher - more intense level.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
It was accidental and that Jasper would try to keep further distance from her.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
No.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Not really. Like she said, she didn't want to celebrate a black event.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
Seems like there's some friction and this is not the first time she's mentioned it since we left off in the first book. And it's irritating Edward.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I took me a while, but when she started doing the same movements as Bella I got it. And reading it again, I see that it would be pretty clear if I was paying more attention.

I thought this dream was just about her fear of growing old, since it was her birthday the following day, and Edward would be forever 17. I don't doubt that Edward would have loved her all her life, but of course that's not the way she wanted it.

The thought did cross my mind. But I just assumed that he was out hunting, or gone home to change and get his car.

I didn't really think much about it. But I guess it seems natural for him to still keep his distance, since he doesn't know that he can completely trust himself around her. And the last thing he wants is to hurt her.

I thought..This is not good. And then Edward threw her into the stack of plates, making her bleed even more. He was just trying to protect her, and Jasper probably would have got to her if Edward hadn't done it. But I was shocked that Jasper attacked. I had not expected that. The only thing I felt sure of, was that Edward would not attack Bella.

Yes, I thought that her time at the Cullen's house would be more restricted. That she couldn't be there when Jasper was home for example. I knew that Edward would be very upset since what happened is what he fears the most, and he does tend to over-react, but I never imagined that they would all leave.

No way, she would just get mad.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Well..It's the way she is. She doesn't like attention. But I think she should have realized that it was important to the Cullens to throw her a party. And anyway...You can't stop Alice :)

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
I understand Edward's reaction. Of course he would be mad. And I think he want's that decision to be between him and Bella, so it is unfair to bring Alice into it. And as long as he didn't want Bella to become a vampire, it is totally natural for him to be angry when she says something like that.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I had no idea that it was Bella. I mean I kinda figured it out when Edward walked up and Bella and ‘Gran’ were having the same expressions. I was just like whoa.

When I first read it, I was like god no please don’t let Stephenie not change her. That would have made me furious. I think it was only her fear of getting old. I just think that something was going to happen that would force Edward or Carlisle’s hand.

I wasn’t entirely surprised that he wasn’t there. When it said she was getting ready for school I was like oh, okay. And then they mentioned her working. So I was like whatever.

I was so upset with that. I so expected there to be some sort of relationship between the two of them after that. But then he’s all like in the corner. I was like great! We’re back to no Jasper again.

How could you not be more aware of what you were doing?!? I mean come on. It’s a house full of vampires. And there is one who still craves human blood like it’s going out of style. Why wouldn’t you just take your time?

I didn’t think that Bella wouldn’t be allowed to hang out at the house. I think that Jasper would have vanished. I think that he would have been more careful in avoiding her. I think he would only be around her if absolutely necessary. Say if he had to save her life again.

No. As much as Edward seems like the type to do it, I also think that he respects her enough to let her have her truck without interference from him.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I didn’t think she was over-reacting par se. I think she was over-reacting to being older than Edward.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
I knew that Edward was gonna be pissed off about it. I knew he was gonna drop the subject and just move on.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
crystal_lynn
Settled in Forks

Post by crystal_lynn »

I hadn't figured out that "Gran" was Bella until they started to mimick eachother in the mirror. Once she finally touched the glass she then realized that it was all a dream.

I think the dream had a lot to do with the age factor with Edward. It was her birthday that day and she was now 18. A year older than Edward and it frightened her. I think the reason she was so mournful the entire day was because of the fact that she realized her appearance is going to change, she will start to age, and Edward would still look youthful and 17.

I think maybe Edward had a sneaky suspicion that Bella wasn't going to be in the best of moods for her birthday. He knows that she doesn't like getting older and him staying the same age. I think he was just giving her the space she needed that morning.

I think Jasper's character is so quirky and unpredictable. So, when he was keeping his distance at her b-day party, I instantly understood that he still had a hard time committing to the life Cullens were leading.

My first reaction when she got the paper cut was, "Oh crap, she's about to get the blood sucked out of her by someone in this room." Then Jasper freaking out and trying to pounce was exhilarating. It was so scary to think that he would end everything he'd been working so hard on in a split second.

I think that the Cullens would easily talk some sense into Jasper and remind him how far along he's gotten on his path to being a "vegetarian." I don't think they would have ever banned Bella from their house.

I don't think Edward would have gone as far as buying Bella a brand new car. What would Charlie think of that? How would that come off? A seventeen year old buying a new car for his girlfriend. That would only bring more attention to him and his family. I think he was just playfully joking around with Bella.

I understood why Bella was not so excited about her birthday celebration. She did not want to shine light on the fact that she was getting older. In her mind, it wasn't a celebration but more like a doomed sentence that she had to live with...being a human.

Bella understands that Alice is more of a free spirited kind of person. She is compassionate to peoples needs, but I felt like Bella was pushing the issue of becoming one of them way too much on Edward.
"i kissed a vamp and i liked it"
teineakasoo
Settled in Forks

Post by teineakasoo »

When Edward called her in the dream and the reflection turned around

Yes, this is when I realized that Bella would want to because a vamp ASAP and that living a full life would not be her top priority. But, then Humans are vain.

Hmm, I don't remember that. I guess I've gotten used to Edward always being in here room.

I think he was really thristy and she was way too tempted. I did expect them to become closer but Jasper was still knew and didn't know his limitations yet.

I kinda of knew something would happen, but not to the extent that Bella would end up more physically harmed.

I knew that Edward would be torn because...

1. It was his brother
2. It was in a place that he thought Bella would be safe in
3. He didn't want that for Bella after the ordeal in Phoenix

I thought that maybe Edward wouldn't want Bella at the house or maybe Edward would go back to trying to scare Bella away.

But, I wasn't prepared "emotionally" for Edward to leave :cry:

No, because he knows that Bella wouldn't want something so extravagant. I think he had an idea of what type of car Bella needed.

8) Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

Yes! Okay so she turned 18, it's not like her looks went from 18 to 55...LOL

She totally played him. So I agreed totally with Edward, he knew she was trying to get her way, knowing he didn't want that for her.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? I figured it out about the same time Bella did I'm a ditz. I wasn't really surprised by the dream it's her worst fear.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? No I didn't see anything other than her fear of growing old and dying and him staying perfect at 17.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? I didn't like that he wasn't there. I was confused but I guess he needs to go home and change and everything so it makes since that he leaves once she's asleep.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? This surprised me I would have hoped it would have made him stronger knowing he was able to control himself when he was so close to her in the hotel room. Plus he's the one that said she was worth it. It was worth keeping her alive. So I was confused that he would be temped now.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? Well since Stephenie has made a point in telling us Jasper moved in closer after she had just explained he was keeping his distance I said Oh sh@*! I was very sad that Edward had pushed Bella into the table if he had kept his head that wouldn't have happened she would have been cut worse and it wouldn't have been so bad.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? In this chapter I didn't give this much thought

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? No I figured he knew better

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting? She was being a bit of a baby.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I thought "you go Bella" and I could figure out why Edward was being so stubborn
xBellatrixBlackx
Settled in Forks

Post by xBellatrixBlackx »

I figured out that "Gran" was really Bella when she stared sheepishly back at Bella, it was so Bella-ish lol. I was rather surprised by that fact, but not for that long, i sort of got the whole reason why Stephenie Meyer had used that dream in the first place.

I do think it foreshadows the fact that she's basically just, gonna grow old. like when she said "Me-Ancient, creased and withered" on page 6, you sort of get the feeling that she's a tad bit put off by the idea she'll not only grow old but look old, and Edward will stay seventeen forever, looking beutiful and perfect as always.

I wasn't that surprised that Edward wasn't there, though i was a little seeing as it was her birthday and he wouldn't be there with her when she woke up. I think he wasn't there because bella had made it clear she didn't want to be made a fuss of, so he had decide to stay at the Cullens and give her time to get used to the fact she was 18 and he was still 17, i think him being there would have made Bella feel even worse, seeing his perfect 17 year old face. Just a guess, i'm very bad at explaining lol.

I wasn't really surprised at all, after reading Twilight i'd gone straight on to new moon, so i knew that Jasper was new to the whole vegetarian vampire thing and he'd want to keep his distance, even Bella explained. I didn't doubt that Jasper and Bella hadn't beome closer during the phoenix trip though. On the other hand i would have been surprised if Jasper HADN'T kept his distance, i think it was good of Stephenie Meyer to remember that fact or i wouldn't have been AS surprised when he tried to attack Bella when she got that paper cut.

Well, i'd already read that scene on the back of the book,you know on the blurb. I was very much looking forward to that scene and i didn't expect it to happen so soon in the first chapter. I suppose even though it's bad of me i always get excited when something goes wrong, it makes everything more exciting if you get what i mean, though at the same time i was feeling very scared for Bella. I knew Jasper would be easiest to break and i was right, though i also knew Carlisle and esme would definitley be able to restarain themselves, i knew Edward would also do his best to protect Bella but i thought it would have been harder for alice, Rosalie and Emmet, turns out i was wrong.

Well the least i expeceted was for edward to do what he did in Chapter 3, that really shocked me. i suppose my first thoughts were Japser would calm down and feel ashamed, then Bella would refuse to stay thinking the ruined party was all her fault and apologise to everybody and refuse to go back to the Cullens house even though the Cullens were fine with her coming back. Turns out i was half right, half wrong. i don't think the Cullens would have ever refused to let Bella into their house, not when they considered her as family.

Hmmm... i think i thought he was highly tempted, but he wouldn't want to do anything Bella was not comfortable with unless it was important. Turned out i was right.

8)Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

I was rather surprised she didn't want and celebrations for her party, it isn't exactly normal but getting to know Bella through Twilight sort of explained her attitude, i suppose i thought she was overreacting a little bit yes but it didn't really bother me.

I suppose my first thought was that Bella was being rather careless mentioning that to Edward, although i wanted her to become a vampire i didn't think it was wise to tell Edward. I wasn't surprised that Edward reacted the way he did, and i thing Bella mentioning that to him i the first place just encouraged what Edward did in Chapter 3
Becka
Settled in Forks

Post by Becka »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming? When Edward called Bella? i had a feeling it was her own reflection she was seeing but had to read on to be sure!...The way it was written was leading you that way and plus Bella had already said she was fearful of growing old and wanted the "forever" with Edward. I thought it was quite beautiful the way SM was able to show in this one dream how Edward's love for Bella was timeless/ageless as you would expect and how beautifully this piece then sets you up for a later fall when Edward did actually decide to leave Bella.
2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? Yes...Bella's dreams are always linked to what is going on around her at that moment in time and often her dreams do have a link with the future...I think it was foreshadowing the incident at the house in way.
3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there? I was surprised considering how much of Twilight was centred around him being in her room and so it did make me wonder why, having said that though once you realised it was her birthday it made more sense, i was expecting him to surprise her in some way rather than just meet her at the school.
4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I think it would have spoilt things if Jasper had changed. Emmett is the one who is so free with Bella but Jasper's persona is such that he is thoughtful and observant and in the background. Jasper i think sits back and reads the atmosphere.
5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that? The second the drop of blood was mentioned you knew something was going to happen and I guess the only person who would come to mind was Jasper. At first I thought Edward had overreacted until Jasper slammed into him.
6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? No, you had a sense from Twilight at the end that Edward was still uncomfortable with what happened to Bella in Phoenix. The end of that book made it clear that Edward had not exactly promised to never leave Bella. He only ever promised he would stay as long as she needed him or it was good for her to be with him. I was waiting to see what Edward did afterward kind of having this ringing in my head and his reaction was not as much of a surprise.
7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one? Honestly I had no idea what Edward had gotten her and i'm glad it wasn't a car..the music was much more meaningful for the two of them. Plus a car would have been much harder to wipe from her life than the CD he hid when he left!

What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting? Well it was kind of understandable I guess considering her reluctance to get any older than Edward and turning in to a vampire ASAP... but I think it was bit too ridiculous. The Cullen's love her and especially Alice and if that had been me I would have thought how ungrateful she was...plus here is Edward - love of her life and he isn't even allowed to show any emotions either.
9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? It was to be expected. Edward has maintained that Bella should remain human and he won't change her so it must be frustrating having to deal with Bella who is so stubborn and fixated on becoming a vampire without having thought it all through.
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Quite late... I was smiling to myself at how cute the exchange was. :oops: It wasn't until Gran had her arm awkwardly around the Invisible Man that I clocked on.

No, I think it was just playing on her mind with her birthday coming up.

I was, actually. I expected him to wake her from her nightmare. I figured he wasn't there because of Charlie or something, and then decided he was birthday planning.

A bit, yeah. I was kind of disappointed. I love Jasper. It made me feel quite sad that he needed to keep that distance still, after being in the hotel room all that time.

I didn't even catch on at first! I felt just like Bella; dopily thinking Clumsy Her. And then I realised, and I just felt the dread hit my stomach. Like oh, crap, this is not going to be good. I thought Edward was quick on the mark, though. And I was wondering who the six ravenous vampires were, when there are seven Cullens; was it Edward or Carlisle that was okay?

Yeah. I figured Jasper and Alice would maybe move out, or she wouldn't be able to go there or see her; I thought Edward would be even more paranoid after that.

No. She would have sent him packing to Italy himself, if he had! He wouldn't have been that brave - or almost cruel, when she'd insisted on no presents.

I thought she was overreacting, yeah. I'm more of an Alice where birthdays are concerned, though. It seemed a big shame to waste a birthday when she can spend the rest of the year feeling depressed over her age.

I thought it was a bit catty and under the belt. I thought Edward handled it well, though - he could have insulted her back, but considering how he feels about it, he was incredibly patient. Couldn't blame Bella for trying, though. :lol:
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~