Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs. Black
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 27 ~ Needs

Post by Mrs. Black »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?
She is weeping because she knows Jacob is in pain and she is in pain. She knows that if Edward hadn't come into her life, or if he had never come back in New Moon, she would have Jacob instead of Edward. She knows how much this fact hurts them both. I think Edward knew, but didn't know what to say because he was the one causing it. I think she just thought that Edward has touched her life so much there's nothing she can do to stop it, so there's no point in grieving over it. So she was able to move on.

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?
I thought it was odd he changed his mind. I think he did it because he realized Bella was caring for other's happiness, and she was willing to give up her humanity. He was also thirsty at the time. He wanted her so bad. I think that was part of it (like he lost self-control or something).

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?
I think it's because she cared for everyone else's happiness. Charlie, Renee, Alice, everyone. Alice wants to throw her a wedding, Charlie wants to walk her down the aisle. I think it's based on others' happiness.

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella?
I think Bella is. Edward had been firm about his conditions. If they'd both changed their minds in the meadow and Bella became a vamp right there, then Edward regretted it, he would never forgive himself. And again with the happiness thing. Charlie and Renee can't be suspicious, also.

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?
It left me with a sense of comfort. Victoria, Laurent, and James are destroyed, no more newborns running amok, the danger is past. I think the ending should have been a little more upbeat.

"Life sucks and then you die. Yeah, I should be so lucky." -Jacob Black
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?

It is the fact that she really hurt Jake, it hurts to tell someone you cant be with them, even if it is what is best for you. Edward thinks that Bella cares for Jake so much that this is really hurting her. She lets herself get out her emotions which helps her move on.

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?

It is about both, Bella is doing all of this for him, and she chose him over Jake, she chose an Eternity with Edward over one lifetime with Jacob.

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?

She wants everyone to know her choice, she wants to give everyone what they deserve, goodbyes, the wedding, she has finally accepted that this is what is right for her.

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella?

Bella knows what is best for her

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?

It made sense, i felt happy with everything, the ring on her hand where it would stay for the rest of eternity, made proof that Edward and Bella were going to be together forever.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to December for her help with this one! Remember - answer these as if you didn't know what happened in Breaking Dawn!

I believe that she is weeping for how her perceived selfishness has hurt or will hurt everybody that she cares about.
She didn't want to lose a place to escape to, her personal sun, so she played with Jacob's feelings. Even in Twilight, she says she's leading him on to try and get the information she wants
She is crying because she is hurting Alice, by preventing her from doing what she enjoys best, dressing up and throwing parties even though she is convinced that a wedding is torture because of what she saw Charles and Renee go through.
She is crying because she nearly hurt Edward by wanting to sleep with him before they are married. She is the one that agrees with Carlisle that just because you are a vampire doesn't mean you lose your soul yet she is willing to destroy the one part of Edward that he believes can save him, if it's possible
She is crying because she knows if she just disappears, it will kill Renee and Charlie

I think Edward thinks he realises how much Bella is giving up by being with him and he doesn't want her to feel like she has to keep giving up for him

See answer 1

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella? Well I'm a freak and tend to believe that it is better to wait for marriage before you make the ultimate commitment, so I'm with pre-meadow Edward or post-meadow Bella.

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?I was quite depressed when I finished Eclipse but I think it was just because I really wanted to read their wedding (and um wedding night :oops: ) I've had to swear I won't buy Breaking Dawn until Christmas so i'm in a Twilight free zone right now and I don't like it :cry: I did like the little glimpse we got into Jacob. I sort of home Stephenie does write books from a couple different perspectives.

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Just call me Bella
Wandering Through Town

Post by Just call me Bella »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?It's all about Jake here. bella doesn't want to not be friends with him, but she's realized it's impossible to continue doing things the way she has been. all 3 of them are being hurt by her, and she's finally strong enough to stop hurting jake and Edward. Oh, he knows, he is very intelligent and he knows her too well not to know what is wrong with her. Bella made the decision she did to stop hurting jake and Edward, she realized that she's still hurting Edward by crying all night over jake. that helps to clear her mind to start the thinking process. she now whats to do everything in her power to make the pain she has caused Edward go away, by giving him everything he wants.

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?I think he changes his mind because of why he says he does. he realized that he doesn't know her as well as he thinks he does and that maybe he is making her more miserable by making her follow his "old fashioned" rules. It could be in response to her reaction over losing jake as well. He was very upset by this and well, Edward is always out to make bella happy. I don't think it's disproportionate, I think it's perfect. In that instant he decides to just make her happy and that's one way to do it :lol:

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?I think she does feel differently, although she would never admit it to anyone or herself. I think she also knows how he feels about "morals" and he doesn't believe he is worth saving and she does. this is her way of telling him how important he is to her. I think that not seeing her friends and family weighs the most on her. plus his soul. those are the top 2, but the others i'm sure played a role in her decisions as well.

what a difficult question! I was waiting for him to give in the entire series :oops: lol. seriously though, I think they both had some valid points and it played out well, i was pleased.

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?It makes sense, but it bothered me. what i wouldn't give to marry Edward *swoon* and she is acting like it's a death sentence -no pun intended-! I knew 1000% she made the right choice and she would be happy later, it just annoyed me that she made such a big deal out of it.
Edward can bust my headboard, bite my pillows and bruise my body ANYDAY!
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

I thought Bella was weeping over her loss of Jake, how she hurt him, and also how she was hurting Edward. I think Jake was at the front of her mind. Edward knew exactly why she was crying. When they spoke about it later, he had asked her if she “was sure” she made the right choice, he didn’t understand how her choice was right if she was hurting so much. In the morning, Bella decided that she would live with the pain – that it would always be apart of her – and that she would marry Edward and go on with their plans.

I think Edward changed his mind because he thought Bella was doing things for the wrong reasons. She was doing things to please her parents, to please Alice, to please Edward. Edward wanted her to do what she wanted to do – make it about Bella’s wishes, not everyone else’s. I think Edward acted appropriately. Bella was always trying to do what was right for everyone else that she ignored her own personal preferences.

I think Bella finally sees it Edward’s way. Doing it this way, she pleases almost everyone. I don’t think she feels differently about marriage though, I think her feelings about it are about the same – but she’s willing to suffer through it for the greater good.

All these considered, I think Edward should’ve called off the wedding. The night before, Bella was grieving over another man! They should have waited to finalize plans until Bella was over Jake. She made her choice, yes. But I definitely would not marry someone if I knew they had feelings for someone else, especially since Edward witnessed her grief. If Bella was serious about being with Edward – marrying him and being immortal, she could have waited.

I don’t think Bella chose wrong. I think she just chose too quickly and that she didn’t give herself a chance to get over her feelings for Jake. It bothered me that she was in such a rush. The day after the attack, she broke up with Jake. The day after that, she was planning her wedding. There was never any time to absorb anything and deal with her feelings.
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I think it's Jake. I hope he knows why she's crying. It scares me to think that he might not, though. Like Edward says in New Moon, Time heals all wounds for her kind. She had time, she healed over that heartbreak.

He finally sees that Bella's always trying to please everyone else but herself and the only person he cares about being happy is her. Yes, I think it is, because of her speaking about making everyone else (her friends, her parents) happy.

I think she's determined to do things correctly, because of what her Dad said about losing her. I think saying her goodbyes, giving Edward what he wants and caring about his soul weigh on her most.

Bella.

I'm Team Edward, so I was convinced of Bella's choice, just as she was.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-I figured it was Jacob Bella was crying for. She was crying for hurting him so bad, and for hurting Edward too. Edward knew why Bella was so upset, although he didnt understand how her desicion could be right if it hurt her so much. In the morning, Bella knew no matter what she made the right choice and she was just going to have to deal with everything that came with it.

-I think Edward thought Bella was going to marry him for the wrong reasons, and the Bella is always trying to please everyone even if she has to suffer. His reaction was justified because he loves Bella and all he wants to do is make her happy.

-By waiting and doing everything as planned, it pleases everyone, and like I said before, Bella always tries to please everyone. I think she does feel differently about marrying Edward only she won't admit it and she really just wants to do everything right and that means having enough time to say goodbye and make everyone happy.

-I think Bella did. Edward was just trying to make Bella happy, but he might've regretted it later on.

-Nope, I knew she made the right choice so it didn't bother me, even thought ending was a little sad for Jake.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I think that he is upset mostly about Jake and the fact that they can't be friends anymore and all that she is giving up in the sense of him. I think she's ready to give up her humanity so I don't think she would react like that for those reasons. Just Jake. Edward knows what she's mourning over, at least I think he does. She has gotten everything out and she has the life she wants in front of her so there's really no reason to be so upset anymore, I guess.

He doesn't think she's ready for the marriage after such a defining time in her life probably. Now that all of the stuff happened with Jake he wants to make sure he gives her the choice to be happy and do whatever she needs to do to be happy even if that means letting her go.

I really think after all that has happened she truly does want to marry him now. I think that most of her reasoning is based off of her human life ending, but nonetheless, she does want to do it for herself now too, balancing with the other reasons.

Bella, she really has more to lose. She wants to make Edward happy as well not everything is about her and if she wants to do things the way they were originally planned I don't see why he would object, things have changed in the past couple of days.

It kind of bothered me, but I knew telling Charlie wouldn't really be an upbeat moment whether or not she wanted the marriage. So, I guess I would have like to end with the beginning of breaking dawn in a sense but I still loved the ending.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
MoonBeam09
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonBeam09 »

She has guilt! She is crying because it is a no win situation! She takes you with her on her journey. She feels guilty that she's hurt Jacob and even guiltier that she is showing Edward how much she really did care for Jacob. I'm sure she is also crying for the life that could have been, not because she wanted it more.... but because it would have been easier. She would never have to hurt Charlie or Renee if she had chosen Jacob, but she would have destroyed her heart, because her heart and Edward are one in the same.

I think it's because he really does love Bella more than anything else. Every choice he makes is based on what he thinks is best for her. In Eclipse though, Edward grows up and he is able to see that he doesn't always know what's best and he is willing to do whatever it takes to make Bella happy and safe. His happiness rests completely with Bella and he is willing to do anything for her. He almost loses her so many times that at the end he is as ready as she is for her change. He realizes he needs her forever and is ready. They both are.

She wants to marry him - but she doesn't want any more guilt. She hurt Jacob and in turn herself and Edward so much, that she doesn't want to do it again. It's her way of saying goodbye to her family and making her peace with her humanity so she leaves it without regret. She is a good person to the core and would never stop feeling guilty if she didn't please people.

Bella - she knows what she needs to move on. This is what she needs, Edward is already changed, this is all for Bella.

I thought it was perfect. The tone felt like they had grown up - which you have to do when you get married. Bell and Edward's growth made me believe they were ready. I think she made the only choice she could make, and it was perfect.
ForksBound
Settled in Forks

Post by ForksBound »

I think at this point, Bella has really, honestly realized for the first time that she can't make everyone happy. There is no way for her to please Jacob and keep Edward, and no way for her to have her life with Edward and keep Jacob. Bella is accustomed to doing the action that causes the least amount of pain, and I think her tears at this point are for the pain she has to cause someone. She also feels guilty for making the choice that makes her the happiest, because she knows she will be happy with Edward, even though Jacob is miserable.

Let me just say, I love this scene. It's funny to me that Edward is so unperceptive, but I guess a mind reader doesn't need to learn so much about reading emotions and really getting to know someone. This is the scene where Edward finally "gets" Bella, but it is the Bella that was. He had his about-face one day too late- had he attempted this about-face the day before, it would have been successful. This new Bella has realized, after her tear-soaked epiphany of the previous night, that she is taking a real step that has real consequences for her and the people she loves. I don't believe his reaction is disproportionate, though...just typical male overreaction.

Bella has grown up, finally. She knows that her objections to marriage before were superficial, judgmental things based on a very immature world view. She sees the validity in committing to Edward fully in her human life before beginning her vampire life. I have to say, though, I was also touched at Edward's confession that he is also a virgin, and I like to think that Bella was considerate of his wishes for his own first time as well as hers.

In this particular scene, Bella has it right. Edward had the right of it all along...decisions made in haste rarely work well.

I didn't worry whether Bella had made the right choice; on the contrary, I felt reassured that she finally, really understood the steps she would be taking.