Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
singfree
Settled in Forks

Re: Epilogue ~ Choice

Post by singfree »

I really enjoyed the change of narrators. It was a great technique for illustrating just how much pain Jacob was truly experiencing. Having been involved in a similar triangle, when I was very young and oblivious to such things as "mixed signals", I was very sympathetic to both Edward and Jacob----to a lesser extent with Bella. It also gave readers an opportunity to see that Jacob was not only concerned about losing a beloved friend, or even girlfriend, but about something he considered even worse, the possibility that Edward was going to change Bella into a vampire----thereby stealing her soul.

My opinion of Leah DID change after her conversations with Jake, but some of her behavior was still inexcusable. The interest in who might be Embry's father is a good example of her bad behavior.

Yes, I think Edward did the right, and gentlemanly, thing in inviting Jake to the wedding. I understand his reasoning. If things had turned out differently, and Bella had chosed Jacob, Edward would have wanted the "choice" whether, or not, to go to the wedding. He was simply offering Jacob that same choice. I figured Jacob would show up at the wedding. He was, after all, Bella's Best Man, and it was an admirable attempt at showing support for her. Sometimes, as much as we would like to think and hope, it is not wise or prudent to maintain friendships, on the same level, after we meet our soul mate. Sometimes it's downright impossible. (In my case, I wound up breaking it off with BOTH my "best friend" and what I thought, then, was my "soul mate" AND left my poor parents to field the phone calls, from both, that went on, seemingly, forever. I cried for weeks, but I realized, like Bella, it was my own fault.)

My heart DID break for Jacob. His attempts to win Bella's heart and her soul, although youthfully exuberant and somewhat naive (remember Jake is only 16, Edward is 17 PLUS a hundred years or so), had failed. So, my empathetic heart did bleed a little-----and there are some tear stains on those pages.
*latuacantante*
Settled in Forks

Post by *latuacantante* »

1. How did you feel about the change in narrators? Did you like hearing from Jacob's voice? How was his voice different from Bella's?
I felt like the change of narrators was nessary. How else were we supposed to know that Jacob left?

2. Did your opinion of Leah Clearwater change at all from this small bit that we got to see with her? Can you understand her pain a bit more when Jacob compares it to his own?
Yes, I can in a sense. At first I that she was just being a bitter old hag, but the more I thought about it the more I understood her pain.

3. Do you think Edward did the right thing by invited Jacob to the wedding even though Bella didn't want to? Before you read Breaking Dawn, did you think Jacob would show up at the wedding? Why or why not?
I think that Edward was right to invite him. Deep down Bella really did want Jacob to come. Before Breaking Dawn I thought that Jacob would come, just to ruin things for Edward.

4. How did you feel about Jacob running away and deciding to stay in wolf form? Did it break your heart? Or were you glad he was leaving Edward and Bella alone?
I thought that it was a good thing, since he was finally going to leave them alone. I hated him with a passion in Eclipse.
Team Seth! Just... because
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1. How did you feel about the change in narrators? Did you like hearing from Jacob's voice? How was his voice different from Bella's?
-UGH I HATED it! I skimmed through I couldn't even read it because it was so different from Bella's POV

2. Did your opinion of Leah Clearwater change at all from this small bit that we got to see with her? Can you understand her pain a bit more when Jacob compares it to his own?
-Awh, yeah. It made me feel worse for her then I already did, even thought shes kinda mean.

3. Do you think Edward did the right thing by invited Jacob to the wedding even though Bella didn't want to? Before you read Breaking Dawn, did you think Jacob would show up at the wedding? Why or why not?
-Yeah, I think he did the right thing. Edward was trying to be nice. It would've been the wrong thing if he sent him and invitation to like shove Bellas choice in his face. But, I honestly thought it would've hurt Jake too much to show up at the wedding.

4. How did you feel about Jacob running away and deciding to stay in wolf form? Did it break your heart? Or were you glad he was leaving Edward and Bella alone?
-Oh god I hate to admit this, but it did kinda make me sad that Jake ran away and stayed in wolf form, although I was reeeallly happy he was leaving Bella and Edward alone.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I was really confused at first actually because I didn't realize the name at the top meant a change in narrorator. I guess it was nice to hear some of his point of view but I didn't enjoy this as much as I liked hearing from Bella. It makes sense though to have this here.

I thought she was a little irritating. And then I felt bad because she can't control her feelings when being a wolf.

I think he did if he was being honest in his note because if he would have liked the choice then I thought it was fair for him to invite him. I didn't think he would show up at the wedding because of the pain it would cause him and everything but I didn't really think too much into it. Just assumed he wouldn't show up.

I felt bad and wished that he could be there as Bella's friend but I definitely was glad that he wasn't going to try anything anymore.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Renesmee101
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: on a stage infront of a sold out Madison Square Garden, mic in hand, singing my heart out.

Post by Renesmee101 »

I liked readong from Jacob's point of view. I was kinda freaked out, though, because his thought proccess is creepily similar to mine. But I loved getting to see just how in love with Bella he was, and how intense his desire to love and protect her was.

It did. When I first read that she was being malicious about her pain, and inflicting it on the rest of the pack, I thought that she was a witch, but once Jacob compared her pain with his, I could see where she was coming from.

I'm still divided on this. Part of me thinks it was the right thing for Edward to do, and I wanted to believe that he truly cared about Jacob. But then the other, more dominant part of me thinks that he was being malicious, and throwing it in his face. If Edward hadn't sent the wedding invitation, I don't think Jacob would have left so suddenly. It seemed to me, after re-reading the book, that Edward was bragging. There's so many different ways Edward could have gone about trying to invite Jacob, but he decided to sent the full flowery over-the-top invitation and a slap in the face letter to Jacob, knowing how much pain Jake was already in, and how much more it would cause him.

I didn't think that Jacob would ever come back. In his mind, Bella was as good as dead, and that pain was almost litterally killing him. I thought that he would stay away, if for no other reason that to keep himself slightly alive.

I was so so so upset. I cried for a good half hour after reading it the first time, and I still get choked up when reading it, even when I know its coming. I hoped that we would get to see some more through his eyes, though, even if he never came back, just so that we could see how he was managing. I think that him staying in his wolf form was the safest way for him to cope with the overwhelming pain he was suffering.
Team Turtle: Thats how we roll
Skank Pack: Taylor's "V"
Dork Squad
Check out Team Taycob!! http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
Poohbear29
Settled in Forks

Post by Poohbear29 »

I didn’t really care to hear from him, but it was okay.

Yes I understood her better.

I think Edward did the right thing; he was trying to be fair. He knew Bella wanted him there.

It did not break my heart; Jacob was just trying to manipulate the situation.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I love Jacob's Book. It was great knowing him better. I also think he is hilarious in a lot and I loved the chapter titles. Then there were some places where it is so sad I was almost crying.

I already understood her pain even before Jacob compared it. I know how it is to love someone you can't be with. So yeah I got her pretty well. I just wouldn't have handled it the way she did. It doesn't hurt though so I can see why she wanted others to be as miserable as she was.

He knew that Jacob was important to Bella and I think he thought she would be upset afterward or maybe it would be a way to say goodbye to him. Not sure. But I knew Jacob would lose his temper.

I would have wanted to do that too if it helped me handle the pain. I felt so bad for him yes.
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I love Jacob's voice. He is so honest and pure, and acts completely based on how he feels. Bella thinks way more than she acts or speaks, and I like that, too. But Jacob's rawness just tugs at my heart.

Definitely. I think Leah is definitely unpleasant, but she has had it extremely rough. Not just losing the one she loves forever, but being forced into his head indefinitely on top of it. I'd be bitter, too.

Yes, I do. Jacob has made the choice of showing up or making his voice known many times even when the odds were completely against him winning. I think giving him a choice was what he deserved, not that he wouldn't have gone anyway if that's what he wanted to do. I thought Jacob would show up, but my reason is kind of a cop-out. I just thought it would make for an interesting plot, so I thought SM would throw it in there.

I was not glad at all - it was so heartbreaking. I have major love for the Jacob character, and his pain in contrast to all the hopefulness and determination that has carried him up to this point...was like an arrow right through the heart. It's difficult to see such a strong, good-hearted character with all the right intentions...lose. I think everything turned out right, but it's still so sad for him. It still makes me want to tear up, even though I've read the whole series! lol

Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. How did you feel about the change in narrators? Did you like hearing from Jacob's voice? How was his voice different from Bella's? I was surprised and found it interesting.

2. Did your opinion of Leah Clearwater change at all from this small bit that we got to see with her? Can you understand her pain a bit more when Jacob compares it to his own? Yes it helped to understand her better.

3. Do you think Edward did the right thing by invited Jacob to the wedding even though Bella didn't want to? Before you read Breaking Dawn, did you think Jacob would show up at the wedding? Why or why not? I thought it was actually nice of him to invite him & the note he included was cool too. I didn't think he would. It didn't seem to me like he would think of Bella and want her to be happy on her big day.

4. How did you feel about Jacob running away and deciding to stay in wolf form? Did it break your heart? Or were you glad he was leaving Edward and Bella alone? I was just glad that he was leaving Bella and Edward alone so they can be together and get married. After Eclipse I really didn't like him he was just a jerk sometimes. (Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I loved the change in narrators! His voice was much more sarcastic and dryer than Bella's. It provided a great contrast to Bella's generally softer tone. Jacob's point of view is much more self centered than Bella's.

I always felt sympathy for Leah, even when she was being a brat. Jacob comparing her pain to his own was a good touch for humanizing her more.

Hmm... I always say I hate it when Edward thinks he knows what's best for Bella... but if I were in Bella's position, I would do the same thing she did-- say she didn't want Jacob to feel pressure but really wany him there. So in this case, Edward made the right decision. I thought Jake would either be there for the whole wedding or wouldn't be there at all. He always seemed like an all or nothing kind of guy.

No! I hated that he was leaving and we didn't know if or when he was coming back! It broke my heart, mainly to see him so hurt.

Image Image Image