Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by spookybell »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
Edward would never tell Bella, so it's a moot point. I think the Jacob Kiss needed to happen.
*spoiler alert* see at bottom...

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I think Edward DOES want to be the one. I want Edward to be the one... nothing less will do!!!!

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to?
I don't think Bella is ambivilant to marriage... she is deathly aftraid of marriage and afraid! She has been told all her life to wait... She expects to be married way later in life, that this idea just terrifies her and goes against everything she was taught.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I think that everything Stephenie does is with purpose and thought. I am sure she intentionally made young jacob and werewolf jacob different, because Jacob has changed. He isn't the innocent sweet boy he was. His life has changed. Stephenie's thought into each of her characters impresses the heck out of me and she is just amazing.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Bella is so PRO vampires - and she knows that Edward only has killed evil people. Heck, I'm for edward cleaning up all the bad seeds out there. Bella NEVER shocks me. I wish I was a lot more like her.

***JAcob is trying to imprint you know... so he's got to give every try available!***[/color]
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
Yes, but who's to say jacob wouldn't have kissed her anyway.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
Yes, who wouldn't want to change their 'soul mate' into a bloodsucking vampire.

Her mother, raised her that way and old habits die hard.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
That people aren't black and white there are shades of gray in personalities and people change all through the course of time.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Yes, it's quite harsh not to mention selfish.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

I don't think anything could have stopped the kiss from happening. jacob has been wanting to do that for too long.

Yes, I think that he believes that what he has been through with Bella has made him strong enough to be able to do it.

Renee.

The fact that Jacob has changed. He is so totally different now.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
It is to a point. She wants Edward to be safe and if that was the only way to do it, I think she would totally go for it.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I don't think Edward would've done that because he wants Bella to have her options clearly laid out for her, no matter how much he wished there weren't any other options but himself. But if he did, then I think Bella would've asked Edward to take her back home and never leave with Jake.

I think he wants to, but he's a bit concerned of his control.

Renee's and the media's fault.

That she doesn't like every part of Jake, whereas she does love every single last part of Edward.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Well it was obviously wrong of her to think that, but its excuseable.
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MissMagnolia »

I don't think she would have prevented it because she has been trying to avoid talking about that with Jacob anyways. It brings out the "bad" Jacob. Plus, I think Jacob was going to do it anyways; he is sort of cocky about that stuff
I think so because he will be able to control when it happens.
I can relate to her feelings. Marriage sounds like the end of the world right now. I am in a serious relationship of three years and I still don't even think about it and I am older than her. Honestly, i think marriage is for when you are thirty.
Stephanie is doing this to show that Jacob is never going back to her Jacob. This is foreshadowing that Bella is going to have except Jacob as both or leave him completely.
Yes and No. No, the Cullens are her family now so naturally she would want the Cullens to be as strong as possible so they can stay alive. Yes, I think it is shocking because she is so afraid of her killing humans when she is a newborn so shouldn't be offended of the Cullens doing it for gain too.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening? I think it would have. She would have realized just how much Jacob cares for her.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it? I think that at this point he doesn't want to be the one to do it, but he knows that Bella wants it. They have compromised- he has offered her something he knows she'll have trouble accepting (marriage) in exchange for something she knows HE will have trouble accepting (his being the one to Change her).

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to? Renee's attitude.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book? Hmm... thinking on this one. Bella sees Edward as one person, the man she loves who happens to be a vampire; he is her world, her soul, her everything. I think she sees Jacob as two different people. On one hand, he is her friend who was there for her during her darkest time and brought light to her life. On the other hand, he has become the one thing that can potentially take the love of her life away from her; he is the physical mortal enemy of who she loves. Bella has accepted all of Edward and the way he lives and wants to be a part of it. She has trouble accepting that cocky side of him, because she knows that once she becomes a vampire, then she'll be his enemy, too. I think she wants to hang on to the Jake she knew, and she just doesn't want to believe that he could be her enemy.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns? I think she realizes the threat the newborns pose to the Cullens and it just stupidly came out of her mouth. One of the reasons she loves Edward so much is the fact that he defies his very primal nature and draw to human blood in order to better himself. I think it's one of those "open mouth, insert foot" moments for Bella.
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

I kind of doubt it. Bella is kind of selfish about the whole Jake thing and she knows this. She knows that he already feels this way, he just hasn't spoken it to her. She kind of tries to ignore the fact. So no I think she still would have gone. Maybe not at that time, but she still would have gone back.

I think he does. Bella is his life, and he doesn't want anyone else to turn her. If it has to happen he is going to be the one to do it.

One word: Renee. Her mom has told her that getting married so young is horrible, and a bad choice, and tells Bella NOT to do it. Of course this is going to make Bella unsure of marriage.

Oooooo..... hard essay questions....... *sigh* :( I think that Bella wants to hold on to the part of Jacob that she knew before he changed. She knows that when she becomes a vampire this new jacon will become her mortal enemy. The old jacob maybe she believes would still be accepting of her. I think she just doesn't want to lose the old jacob.

Not really. True love does crazy things to you. If it takes a human she doesn't know to win the fight and save Edward, she would be all for it. I mean think truthfully about this. If this was you, and someone had to die and it was your choice who, whould you chose the love of your life to die, or someone you didn't know? This is how Bella is thinking right now.
Mrs.Cullen1710
Wandering Through Town

Post by Mrs.Cullen1710 »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening? Yeah she would acknowledged it but he would of still kissed her.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?No because he does not want to be the one to take her soul

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to? To her parents. she does not want to follow in the same (marriage) footsteps

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?Just to show us how he's change because of what he's going through like being in love with someone who doesnt feel the same way and changing into a werewolf. He is a different person now well to different people

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?Yes just because I remember how mad she got at Jacob when she thought he was killing innocent humans
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think that it kind of would. Bella doesn't want to hurt Jacob at all, but at the same time I dont think she wants to lead him on, and make him think that there is something there, that actually isnt. And Edward knows Jacobs thought about Bella. Im happy Jacob tried to kiss Bella though. =]

Yes. I think that he is the one who wants to do it. He knows that its something that would be really hard on him, but he is the one who wants to do it.

Nothing really. I'm 19 years old right now, and im Engaged. Im all for underage marriage as long as you know thats the person you want to spend your life with. && When i say underage, I dont mean like 14, 15, or 16 year olds need to go out and get married or anything.. But 17 and older is fine I think. So i can't really say anything about Bellas ambivalence about marriage.

Im not sure why Stephanie would highlight the 2 different Jacobs.

Kind of yeah. I would have thought she was all for the fact that they hunted animals.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

Well, I'm glad Edward didn't tell her, because it was Jacob's place to tell her. but... I dont know if it would have prevented anything. jacob is so persistent, nothing would have stopped him :D
I think a part of him wants to do it for her, because that is what she wants. But another part of him doesn't want to feel that he is responsible for taking her mortality

Her mother's aversion to young marriage, and the expectations of society. "when in Rome" :lol:
People have different sides to their personality... and maybe it could symbolize her having mixed feelings for him...
I think she had become so accustomed to "vampire life" that it seemed normal to her at the time, she didn't really think through that it would take an innocent person's life. In any case, I think she would do absolutely anything to make sure Edward was safe.
--Squeakmouse--