Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Newborn

Post by rain.on.me »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
Well, they certainly met and got to know each other quite differently. I think both couples are destined and fated to be with one another.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
Maybe. But the Volturi destroyed alot of his enemies and brought peace a couple of times to his life.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
Sure.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
He's loyal to the Denali Clan, but he's bound to the shapeshifters and what they do. He made the decision that was the most peaceful for all.
jovialmadness
Settled in Forks

Post by jovialmadness »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
Ooooh I absolutely loved how Alice and Jasper met. It was so incredibly sweet and made me love thier characters even more. Hmmmm, I'm not sure if one is destiny and other choice necessarily. Just becasue Alice knew who she was waiting for, while Edward didn't, they both reacted pretty immediate and knew that this was the person for them. I think all relationships are based on choice over destiny, but I could just be jaded lol

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
No because being a leader is who he is and he will naturally revere those in the same position.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
Absolutely. I know it can lead to horrible circumstances, but life isn't black and white and it takes a good leader to know that.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
I can't seem to remember this bit, but I'm sure it's great because I think I have a severe case of Carlisle-worship.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Spooncha and Echo 1 for the questions.

1. Jasper/Alice meet in a diner - Bella & Edward see each other in a cafeteria. I think both are choice and destiny and find it ironic that both couples 'meet' in eating establishments.

2. No. During that time, the Volturi were very necessary to keep the peace and vampires respected the need for authoity and law. If it wasn't for them the carnage would have been horrific. Jasper recognized their powerful position in the vampire world.

3. Yes. But that power is unfortunately abused especially if said power makes one 'drunk' and clouds there judgement - more power you have the more you want. Greed.

4. His loyalty to the Denali's is family and friendship based. Trust and friendship along with the mutual desire to revere human life tie these two families together and allowed their relationship to be one of true commraderie. The wolves were a treaty based relationship, if you will, and ironically was also built on trust and isn't unique that at the end of all of this the Cullens, Denali's(exception - Irina) and the wolves were allies and friends.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice? Aw, I cried when I read how A/J met! They differ in the fact that Alice had a vision of meeting Jasper; Edward and Bella met without a vision. They differ in that A/J were both vampires; they didn't have anything standing in their way in order to be with each other. They are the same in the fact that both couples love each other immensely, and knew it from the beginning. I think it's a little of both destiny and choice. Jasper had grown tired of his lifestyle and chose to follow the Cullens' way of living; it's his destiny to be with Alice, but he struggles with the choice of abstaining from human blood. I have always felt that it was destiny for Edward and Bella to be together, and their relationship is FULL of choices, from Edward choosing not to kill her that first day, to choosing to stay around her, choosing to love her; and Bella's choosing to love Edward, choosing to become one of the family. They are the same in that Alice made all the difference in Jasper's life, just like Bella has made all the difference in Edward's.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi? No, because he said that they owe the Volturi for their current way of life. There would have been constant war and mayhem and the newborns would have exposed the vampires if the Volturi did not step in.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good? Of course.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves. Obviously Carlisle feels loyalty to the Denali clan because they are the Cullens' oldest friends, practically family even. He feels loyalty to the wolves because they have the Treaty with them. Carlisle will NOT take the chance of exposure by breaking the Treaty, upsetting the peaceful lives that they have lived in Forks.
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

Well I think both couples were destined to be together. If Bella wasn't meant to be with Edward I don't think she would have smelled as good to him, she wouldn't be sheilded from edwards mind and she would have never stood out to him at all. She would have been just another human to him. Alice and Jasper were destined to be together as well. Alice saw him and went and met him. She knew that she would love him. There was a choice in all instances. Alice could have CHOSEN to not meet Jasper, Edward could have chosen to leave. I think it was destiny.

No, in his eyes he sees the volturi as being responsibe for ending some of the wars down in the south and keeping people in check. Even though they might be power hungry, they still make sure that their secret life is not revealed to humans.

Yes and no. There has to be a system of checks and balances to make sure not one person or group controls everything.

The Denali's are like family, but Carlisle knows that he must uphold the treaty. Also I think Carlisle has respect for the wolves, and doesn't want them to be hurt because of something they didn't do that wasn't their fault. Laurant was threatening humans on their lands and they had every right to hunt him.
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

With Alice and Jasper, she saw him being the person she would spend forever with. And with Edward it was kind of just chance. He didn't know that Bella would be the one he would do anything for. I think that both relationships were destiny. There is a reason Bella went to Forks..but at the time she didn't know it. I think its great.

rev⋅er⋅ence Show Spelled Pronunciation [rev-er-uhns, rev-ruhns] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, -enced, -enc⋅ing.
–noun 1. a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.
Yes. I think that it is odd for him to speak respectfully of the Volturi. I know that they may not seem like bad people at times, with wanting to keep the whole vampire thing a secret. But im sure if they had the chance they would have killed Bella. There is no doubt in my mind about that..and I dont really respect them all that much. Only Edward knows for sure what they were thinking in NM.

Yes. Sometimes they have to. Its kind of like when it comes to War. Is probably something they dont want to do, but they have to because in the long run it will be better. Thats how I see it anyways.

With Carlisle the Denali clan is basically like family. They are the same as the Cullens. They don't hunt humans, they hunt Animals. I think with the wolves its just the fact that they would help protect Bella as much as the Cullens would, and when the Cullens were gone thats what they did, they protected her.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I think both were destiny, both were choice.

No, it makes sense that he should have a lot of gratitude toward them after all he's been through.

Yes, sometimes. But sometimes the 'greater' good isn't the greatest good.

The Denali are like family to Carlisle. They're the same type of people, they're all vegetarians. His loyalty only lies with the wolves because the protect Bella, and more so, they're willing to protect her.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

I think that they both were destiny but Bella and Edward took longer to fall in love. Jasper and Alice met on a stronger feeling than love at first sight. Alice embraced Jasper with open arms and wasn't afraid that he wouldn't like her world. Edward was more reserved and he wanted to stay away from Bella at first.

No, i never though of the Volturi as 'bad guys' just people who you don't mess with. If you put that aside, they do protect humans when they keep the vampire attacks down.

Depends but for the most part yes

His loyality to the Denali clan only goes as far as he wouldn't talk bad about them and he respects and understand their decisions. When he found out that Irina was in a relationship with Laurent, I have no doubt that he would of done anything to support her grieve, but anything does not include revenge. I don't believe that Carlisle thinks its right to kill for revenge and therefore he wouldn't encourage it for any human or creature. The Cullens are going to kill the newborns because they have to and the newborns are killing people all over town.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

I feel that they are both destiny. Just because Alice can see the future and she was expecting Jasper doesn't mean that it wasn't destiny.

No. Jasper had a very different kind of early years than the other Cullen's had and he has seen the Volturi and how they have kept the peace in the South in the past.

I cannot comment on this one because I have so many opinions I cannot even type them all!

I think that Carlisle feels more of a connection to the Denali clan because they are a part of his extended family but I feel that he is also growing to care for the wolves because he is such a compassionate person.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
littlemissEcullen<3
Settled in Forks

Post by littlemissEcullen<3 »

sorry i'm new here so i shouldnt be lazy but i dont really understand the question so i'm just going to say that this is like one of my all time favorite chapters because of this .....

"'You’ve kept me waiting a long time,’ she said.” jasper
“ And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman and said, ‘ I’m sorry ma’am’” alice
“ You held out your hand, and I took it with out stopping to make sense of what I was doing. For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope.” jasper ******* my favorite part
“ I was just relieved. I thought you were never going to show up.” alice
“Alice told me what she had seen of Carlisle and his family. I could hardly believe such an existence was possible. But Alice made me optimistic. So we went to find them.” jasper
“ Scared the hell out of them, too. Emmett and I were away hunting. Jasper shows up, covered in battle scars, towing this little freak, who greets everyone by name, knows everything about them, and wants to know what room she can move into.”edward
“ When I got home all my things were in the garage.”edward
“ Your room had the best view.”alice