Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 13 ~ Newborn

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to Spooncha and Echo 1 for the questions.

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
AlkalineGabi
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Newborn

Post by AlkalineGabi »

Sorry I'm not going to answer the questions directly but this is my fave chapter of the whole saga so here's my 2 cents. Alice and Jasper are my fave couple and Jasper is my fave character and i think this chapter explains his actions/reactions to previous dealings with Bella. He's so knowing of the bad in the world, he has a realistic vision of the world.Him and Alice meeting is obviously destiny, its the whole love at first sight thing and maybe even stronger than that. They understand one another at that moment in time and will always stand by one another whatever they choose. The chapter just shows how different he is to the other Cullens, he's so intelligent but not in the same way Carlise is, he's lived on both sides to the spectrum.Having powers associated to emotion must be difficult to deal with and affect your perspective of life, wether thats human or vampire, and it is confusing for him to be around someone like Bella before and after her own transformation which is understandable.He's the only character to me that truly gives you the voice of reason even if its when they face death.
Sleepwalking in Hollywood.I'm gonna steer clear.Burn up in your atmosphere.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I think it is partially both. It could be their destiny, but then they did chose.

2. No. I think that is normal.

3. Yes.

4. Well, the Denali Coven is vampire's, so it is a bit easier to get along, and it is more along the lines of friendship. But then with the wolves, even with the treaty, he trusted them.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
No, I think they are both Destiny, because Alice saw the only two possible results of Edward's following through with introducing himself to Bella in the beginning. I love, love, love the Alice and Jasper story almost as much as I love the Edward and Bella saga. *Sigh*

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
No. All vampires should, since they hold so much power.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
This depends on the situation. If they are truly working for the greater good, then yes. But if you're a psycho, like Hitler, that's a whole different story.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
The Denali Clan is the closest thing he has to extended family, so it makes sense that he would be loyal. I think he was pretty amazing to not get mad about the whole Irina/Laurent mess.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I think both are destiny. Bella and Edward was a love at first sight thing, well and Jasper and Alice is a arranged thing by destiny.

Nope. Their the "royals" . cant help it.

Yes , its a win-lose situation. You either take it or leave it choice. Poor guys.

The Denali clan is like cousin, well wolves are... friends. I am not sure.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I think that they were both destiny. Think about it, Bella's mind was the only onethat Edward couldn't read. Yes, that did have something to do with her letting him, but that was when she was human. I think that they all rely on fate.

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

i think they were both destiny. edward was immediately attracted to bella, and vice-versa for bella. and then alice saw her future with jasper clearly, there was no debating it. both couldn't really help it. but i think more with alice and jasper that it was a choice because maybe for some random really dumb reason she didn't want to be with jasper she could have just changed her mind and in turn, changed the future.

no i dont think so. they're supposed to be the good guys, but with bella it seems like they're not. they keep the vampires from being found out bvy humans and they're royalty. they hold so much power that it would be dumb to not.

well, the greater was in quotation marks so i dont know. if it really is the greater good than i think so. but i dont think good comes out of anything ruthless.

the denali's are the closest thing to what the cullen's are. they are like his family. he has kept his promise to the wolves also so there's the trust there. also carlisle is a good person in general, though the wolves hate vampires it's easy to see why they wouldn't mind carlisle so much.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Hmmm...

No, because he explains himself.

Absolutly

I'm not sure I totally get this question...
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Destiny? mmm, i don't think so jasper had a choice to ignore alice and walk away, but he immediately loved her so i'm pretty sure that's choice. Besides how are destinies formed if not by the choices that we make?

No, because he was around so much battle and war for such a long time so he grew up thinking of nothing but practicalities, anything practical was good, and the volturi are so organized and well set he probably does respect them a little.

Yes, but who are they to judge what is for the greater good. They may think it's for the best but they rarely ever put themselves in any other persons shoes to see how their decisions may impact everyone.

Carlisle has met a lot of people, the denali clan is the only other clan that drinks animal blood, so that friendship probably runs deep, but so does his respect for the treaty for his treaty, he made the treaty to preserve peace, he's not a hypocrite, he wouldn't go back on his word like not not for anyone.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

I think they are both destiny. Alice knew what her destiny was because she could see it. I think it was destiny for Jasper also because who else would do something like that other than Alice. I think Bella and Edward was destiny and choice. It was destiny for them to meet, it was choice because Edward made the conscience choice to not kill her.

Because he understands what they can do.

I do.

He's known the Denali clan longer. The wolves because of the choices they have made.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella