Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 12 ~ Time

Post by zoelynn602 »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?
Because it is really what he wants too, to be with Bella forever

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?
He wants Bella to belong to him and he wants to belong to her in a way that everyone can see.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?
Just for the reason that she believes her mother will flip out about marriage right out of high school.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?
i am not sure, it baffled me too.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?
He sees that being immortal is what Bella truly wants, so now he knows that it is something they both want, to be together forever, I don't think that it is weakness at all.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?
I think that Edward has always on some level wanted to change Bella so that they could be together forever even though he has fought against this desire for a long time. Edward must finally realize that he cannot exist without Bella and he sees how much Bella really does want this life so he has given in and decided to change her.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?
I think that the marriage is his way of making sure that Bella really does want to be with him forever and not just become immortal. I think that he still doubts the hold that he has on Bella and he wants to make sure that she really wants to be with him.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?
I think that she is truly freaked out because of what she has been taught by society to believe, that marrying young is wrong and that she is worried about what others will think of her and Edward.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?
He is not perfect and he must still doubt his hold on her because of her connection/feelings for Jacob.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?
Yes and No. He loves her and knows that he cannot exist without on her, so he has resolved to change her.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long? He realises that he has no choice. Carlisle and Alice have already agreed, after a family vote, to do it so why shouldn't he do and get what he wants at the same time. If he forbids her from being changed, at some point he knows the Volturi will find her and kill her which he couldn't stand.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her? He has very old fashioned notions and I think that he wants to be unlike the rest of his family and be joined for eternity to Bella both in the human and um vampire world.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely? The only marriage Bella has ever seen was her parents, and I'm sure Renee has never stopped saying what a mistake she made marrying her dad so young. I'm sure Bella swore to herself she would never make the same mistake. I think she is being very human when she is worried that marrying him will change their dynamic more than changing into a vampire will do.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him? :roll:

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him? No it's not weak of him because he really doesn't have a choice.

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Edward knows that Bella won't be completely happy until she is a vampire like him. He also wants to be able to be the one to do it, not Carlisle or Alice.

Edward knows that once Bella is a vampire, it'll be months maybe years before she can be around people again. He woulf want to have a nice wedding, with her family present. He wants to marry her as soon as possible and knows this is the only way he can convince her to let him.

Bella has grown up with hearing her mother tell her not to get married right out of highschool. This is just a natural reaction to the years of lecturing.

Edward has always doubted that Bella loves him as much as he loves her, especailly now with Jake having a place in her heart. It takes awhile before Edward stops doubting her love.

Bella has begged for it again and again. Edward has probably always wanted it, but wants her soul more. He is finally succumbing to that selfishness because of her persistence. Because everyone knows the thing that makes Edward the most weak is Bella.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-I think Edward realizes that its gonna happen eventually no matter what he says, so he might as well get Bella to marry him while he's at it.

-Edward is an honest-to-god gentlemen and he loves Bella with his hole being so he doesn't see any reason not to get married. The fact that it slows Bella down in her becoming a vampire is just a little bonus.

-Bella is only worried about marrying Edward because its been drilled into her head over and over that smart girls don't get married young. Shes scared at what everyone will think if she does get married.

-Edward was just confused by Bella and her being hesitant to say yes to marry him. Because she was so hesitant to say yes, Edward thought that maybe Bella didn't love him as much as she said she did, which is totally untrue, but it still hurt his confidence and confused him and the only explanation he could come up with was that becoming immortal was more important to Bella then marrying him.

-No its totally not weak of him! Bella wants to be changed so she can spend the rest of eternity with him. Its not selfish either because it's working out for the best, changing Bella.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

First, he knows that after the marriage they will be together forever. Also he likes for Bella to get her human experiences so I imagine that that would be a small factor in that decision. It's inevitable at this point that she is going to become a vampire so why not do everything the right way and make the best of the situation.

It's important because it's what he wants. If the decision does for some reason get delayed or even if she changes her mind they are binded together for the rest of her life. Maybe he did have some strategy to delay her decision as well but it could have been a number of reasons.

I find it kind of odd that she's willing to do an extreme action to show her love for him (by becoming a vampire) but not want to marry him which seems so small of an action compared to what she's willing to do. I don't really know if it's all because of what other people thought. Probably mostly because of Renee. She might be scared that the same thing would happen to her.

People always have their doubts. When you have such strong feelings for someone you can't help but be self-conscious. As silly as it may sound for people on the outside, it happens in a lot of people's relationships.

He thinks it's selfish because it's really what he wants but it's not what she deserves. But he knows that it is inevitable at this point because if he doesn't change her either Carlisle or Alice will change her if he doesn't. He knows how much it would mean to the both of them if he is the one to change her so he would want to prepare himself to do it. I don't think it's weak because nothing is going to change her decision now.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long? Part of his selfishness, he wants Bella and knows that Carlisle will change her anyway, so he mights as well get what he can out of it.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her? Maybe so even in the next life she'll be his, she won't be able to run off immortal.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely? I think she's very much in the mind set of a teenager. She can't see the importance and how what others will think of her now won't matter later, what'll matter is that she and Edward are husband and wife.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him? He sees himself as a monster. He can't see why Bella would want him, and why she would be so eager to become immortal other than to be immortal herself.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him? He'll do it because it's going to happen anyway whether it's him or Carlisle doing it, but he still always takes the blame and so will put this as being selfish.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Poohbear29
Settled in Forks

Post by Poohbear29 »

I think he realizes that someone else will do it, and she wants him to do, so he is giving in.

Edward really loves her and he wants to marry her, it could delay her, but he wants her to experience human things. She may not be able to ever see her parents and family again. He wants her to have that chance to be with them.

To me this is stupid; you don’t want to marry Edward, whom you claim to love. You are willing to become a Vampire, and you certainly can’t go back after that happens. Everyone is saying she cares about what Renee is going to say. She may not see Renee ever again, when she becomes a vampire. This is Bella being Bella.

I could definitely see how he could think that. Even though he is a vampire they do have human emotions. The way she is crying over Jacob, she needs Jacob, blab; blab; blab. I guess he is insecure, she is willing to give up her soul, but yet she doesn’t want to show her love by marrying him. She always thinking and talking about Jacob. Who wouldn’t be insecure?

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?.

He is not morally weak, this is what Bella wants. He just wants to make her happy; he knows someone else will do it. I have a different take; I think Bella is the one who is selfish.
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- At this point, I think he realizes how Bella feels about growing old w/ him (when he won't be aging at all!). He understands & maybe he is thinking about how he will feel if he were never to change her. He would have to see her die, I don't think he can handle that.

- I think he wants her to experience all that she can as human first before she is transformed, including a "perfect wedding". XD

- She doesn't seem the type to marry, but might be just nervous, excited, and all emotions! She finally gets her man and gets to have a "night" w/ him as well.

museicalking wrote: Edward normally has a one-tracked mind, as Bella. He thinks he loves Bella more than she to him; the epiphanies , in my opinion werent as "true" as maybe bella saw them. Bella knows her love for edward is more important than him being immortal. Edward has to let go of that.
- Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

- If Bella is willing, I don't consider it selfish.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

Maybe is was because she would probably find a way to change anyway so at least if she married him it could almost be sacred.

Because he loved her is why he wanted to marry her. I also think it was strategy so that she might see what she would be giving up.

Renee had a lot to do with it by what she always said to Bella about marriage. But I also think she was afraid of the talk and making her the center of attention. She seemed intimidated when she was center of attention. It was a very uncomfortable place to be for her. But I also think she was afraid of it because of her parents not being able to stay together.

Edward has always seen himself as the bad guy because of what he is. Maybe he doesn't think she could love him as much as he does her. He is unsure because it is all new to him as well. Relationships seem complicated whether you are human of not. It is also like she is obsessed about becoming a vampire more than anything.

He loves her so he will give her what she wants no matter how he feels or will feel about if. That is after he finally accepts that she is going to end up a vampire with or without his help. I actually don't think he is weak because of it. I think he was strong about that decision.