Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Unhappy Ending

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice?
Well we know that Emmett killed 2 people. As for more than that I am not sure. It is hard to remember if they mentioned more than that in the book.
I don't think Alice has but as before I am not sure.
I don't think Esme has because she has been with Carlisle since she was turned.
We know Carlisle hasn't.
Not sure if it said that Rosalie tasted human blood but of course we know she killed 7 people.
We all know Jasper has killed a lot. But of course he was taught to do so.
And Edward said he has killed when he left Carlisle for a time.

2. What do you think about Edward’s reaction to Rosalie being changed?
He was just concerned that Rosalie was much to noticeable and that they would be found out about if she was turned and then jsut showed up or was seem in public. He also could have thought that she wouldn't want to be with them and not listen to the rules about them keeping the secret.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people?
I don't think they helped since Carlisle is so much against it. But, Carlisle won't tell them what they can and can't do so he may not have liked it but I don't think he stood in her way either. Just hoped she would make the right decision.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story?
Yes. I think she just wants Bella to really take a look at what she is giving up since Rosalie had no choice but Bella does. Bella is blinded by love and that is something that can make you decide things without taking a full look at those decisions.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice? I was surprised that she said she had a better record then Esme. I really don't know how many the others would've killed.

2. What do you think about Edward’s reaction to Rosalie being changed? He was just worried for the family not being discovered because of Rosalie's high social status. It makes sense to me.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people?I doubt anyone helped her. I bet Carlisle wasn't too happy.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story? They make a little sense & I guess I can understand it. But I don't think that's the best reason for hating Bella.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice?

There was mention of at least a few Emmett killed. Like when she came across a middle aged woman whose blood sang out to him. Esme probably slipped at least once when she was newborn, but I'm sure Carlisle made sure that did not happen often. Alice woke up with no creator, completely alone, and it was years before she found Jasper and the rest of the Cullens, so it would be understandable if she slipped too for survival.

He prob already knew of her from the town gossip. He knew she was vain and self centered, plus he was sincerely worried that her family would comb the town looking for her.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people?

I believe Rosalie did all the planning all by herself. She has proven to be ruthless when she really wants to be.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story?

I understand why she would be like that, does not mean I agree with her. But being the selfish, vain person that she is, I can see why her brain would work that way.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I was surprised to hear that Rose's track record was so clean. She seemed so cold before this, I just didn't think she cared enough. I don't think Esme has killed more than a handful -- we know Emmett has killed at least two (from Edward mentioning it in Twilight). Alice probably not very many either, because didn't she "see" Carlisle's family pretty soon after her change?

It was very similar to the way Rosalie reaction was described in Midnight Sun when she complained about having to leave the area because of Bella!

Rosalie seems like she would be stubborn enough to want to do it herself. I don't think Carlisle liked it much, but probably handled it the same way he handled Edward's rebellious phase.

I probably wouldn't go so far as to say Rosalie's feelings are justified, but they are certainly more understandable when you learn her story. She can be SUCH a brat.

Image Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I think Emmett has the most. Esme and Alice wouldn't have very many. I thought Rosalie would've killed a few more.

I understand, he would be worried about it because so many people would be looking for her because beautiful and wealthy.

I think she went and did it without any of them knowing. If Carlisle knew he wouldn't let her.

I think she needs to shut up. Yes, Rosalie didn't have a choice, but SHE WAS NOT IN LOVE WITH A VAMPIRE AT THE TIME. If Royce was a vampire and she wasn't, I'm sure she would've wanted to be changed.
She wants Bella to stay human cause of all the things that SHE missed. Bella might not care about those things. She wants to be with Edward forever.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

We know that Carlisle has never killed anyone. We know that Edward went through a phase where he didn't want to deny his thirst any longer. I imagine Esme probably has a few deaths to her name because no one has as good a record as Carlisle at this point, however it is hard to imagine her ever killing anyone. I am extremely surprised that Rosalie only has 7 deaths to her name, and they were for revenge and not thrist! I'd be willing to bet Emmett's track record is probably just as bad as Edward's. Alice probably has quite a track record because she was left alone for so long after she was turned, it's hard to imagine though. And, we know Jasper certianly does not have a clean track record.

I'm surprised that he was so vocal about his dislike because Carlisle did it partly for him, and because there was nothing to be done about it now. I do sort of understand his reaction to her being such a public figure. If anyone saw her out and about now, they'd know something was up and their facade would be ruined.

I don't think anyone helped her. Edward didn't really like her so I'm sure he didn't. I can't imagine Esme killing someone for revenge, and Carlisle certainly wouldn't have helped. I'm sure Carlisle didn't approve of her going after the men, but he is extremely nonjudgemental so he probably understood why Rosalie wanted to kill them.

I understand she thinks Bella is making a mistake, and she does not understand why anyone would ever want to give up being human. But, I still think she needs to get over it and stop being so mean to Bella. Telling Bella what she would be giving up so that Bella wasn't taken by surprise would have been a better way to go. But, Rosalie needs to let it go because Bella is choosing to become a vampire; Rosalie did not get a choice.
BrokenDreams
Wandering Through Town

Post by BrokenDreams »

Well, we know that Emmett killed at least two, but I would think his track record is probably the highest. I can't really imagine Esme or Alice killing anyone, but I'm sure they have a few deaths on their record.

I think he was just worried about Rosalie being recognized because of her social status. I don't think he had anything against her, he was just worried.

I don't really think any of the Cullens helped her. She probably killed them without letting any of the Cullens know first. Carlisle was probably upset, but I think understood why she did it.

I honestly think that Rosalie isn't trying to be mean. She just wonders why Bella would give up her human life. She is just trying to help Bella see her point of view, because she didn't have a choice to stay human and Bella does. It does make a little more sense why she dislikes Bella know. I thought is was really interesting to hear Rosalie's story.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think that Esme has probably killed very few. Emmett some more, not sure about him. Alice must have killed quite a few in the beginning, waking up alone and confused, but probably none since she came to Carlisle.

I think it was a fair reaction. He knew that Rosalie was shallow, egeocentric and vain. It's not the sort of person Edward would have anything in common with. She was also a very familiar face around town, so it could put them in danger. But..Maybe he shouldn't have said it front of her.

I don't think any of the Cullens helped, this was Rosalie's revenge. I think it made Carlisle feel really bad, but he accepted that she had to do it for her peace of mind. What they did to her was so horrible.

I can understand more where she is coming from now, in that she sees Bella having everything and wasting it. But I don't see that as justified reason not to like Bella. Rosalie needs to see that Bella has made a conscious choice. Therefore their situations are not the same, Rosalie had her choice taken from her. Bella loves Edward, and has chosen to be with him. And there is no future for them if Bella stays human for a long period of time. So I think Rosalie needs to see Bella's point of view.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice? I don't think Esme has killed anyone. I believe Emmett killed his fair share of people. In Twilight Edward tells Bella that Emmett had found 2 women that smelled as good to him as Bella does to Edward and he killed them. I think that Alice killed as many people as was necessary to survive until she had the vision about the Cullen's then she switched to animals.

2. What do you think about Edward’s reaction to Rosalie being changed? I can't blame him. First off he didn't understand why Carlisle would change such a prominent social figure. Secondly he new her and didn't like her.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullen's helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people? No the Cullen's did not help her. I don't think anyone but Edward understood why she did it. The other 2 are to compationate about all humans.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story? I understood her jealousy from the minute Edward told Bella she was made for him in Twilight. I was surprised to find out in this chapter that it was also because she wanted a child more than anything in the world. Now like Esme she has to exist knowing she will never get to be a mother. She said Esme made due with acting as if she is their mother that's not enough for her. To throw the chance at that away is inexcusable to her.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think that emmett and esme havent killed any since theyve always been with carlisle's coven from birth. alice on the other hand might have had a few more because she was once just another savage vampire before she met jasper or carlisle's coven.

i think it was natural for him to react like that. he ahd probably heard her thoughts one time or another before and decided to dislike her then, and when she was a vampire it made no difference.

im pretty sure the only person who knew about her plan was edward before it happened. i cant see her saying, "im going to kill the men who hurt me tonight," and then get away with it. carlisle was probably very dissappointed, but he's very logical and there was nothing he could do about it so he let it go. although i do think it impacted how the others thought about her too, from then on.

after that, i ALWAYS had a soft spot for her. it made so much sense after that. if i were rosalie i would do the same!! ;)
Betting on Alice.