Chapter 1 ~ Ultimatum

Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 1 ~ Ultimatum

Post by sarah! »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?
~as a parent, sure.

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?
~nope.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella.
~ i thought he was kindof rude and somewhat pathetic. he could have said things a little nicer.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?
~ both. i understand him, but Bella can do whatever she wants to do.

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women?
~hahahha no, i don't think so. Maybe I'll go ask him. :D :D
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- He was just being protective of his daughter. When he saw how Bella was a "drone/zombie" after Edward had left her, he just wanted the best for her. He didn't want to see her get hurt again.

- Oh, hellz yes!

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacob's message to Bella?
- I think it was a bit childish, and rude. I understand Jacob felt he was meant to be w/ her, but I don't think he should have gone about it that way. He should have know she would choose her man/lover.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?
- No, I don't think so. He was just being protective considering how many threats she has been through. Who knows what could happen next. However, I do think he needs to "chill"!

- Hellz yea, he does it all the time w/ just about anyone. It doesn't have to be a "best friend", haha.
runningali
Settled in Forks

Post by runningali »

Although I am firmly in the "team edward" camp, yes, Charlie is justified in being angry and resentful toward Edward. Charlie watched Bella turn into a virtual zombie when Edward left, a shell of a person in complete misery. He had to watch helplessly while Bella was in so much pain...and he knew that Edward never wrote, called, explained. Then, his only daughter leaves town with Edwards sister for 3 days...and suddenly the Cullens return and all is right with the world. I am certain Charlie feels resentful and somewhat worried about whether Edward will hurt Bella again.

Luckily, no!

One on level I understand that Jacob is so sad to lose Bella and their close relationship that was formed during Edward's abscense...on the other hand, I was so thrilled that Edward is back that I wanted Jacob to back off and leave Bella alone with Edward! It's clear Jacob is sad - and the "war" between vampires and wherewolves (sp?) doesn't help matters.

Yes - he's been around for 100 or so years and knows that young wolves are dangerous (case in point with what Sam did to his mate.) Anything that puts Bella in danger worries Edward. I think there is also an element of jealousy on Edward's behalf. He's thankful for Jacob and all that he did to help and protect Bella when he was gone...but it's a delicate balance.

YES. Joker.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

He's a dad. He just knew how Bella was after Edward left. He was there (along with Jacob) to pick up the pieces and he had to see his daughter hurt so badly. So YEP I would say they were.

Just my mother. She was picky about the guys I was with. She always made her opinion known.

I think he wanted so badly to still be her best friend but he kept marking it out because he was hurting because she kept choosing Edward. I also think he thought that she had to choose because of the way things were. (The whole werewolf/vampires are enemies thing)

I understood his concerns, but again as I have said somewhere else. Bella has already spent so much time with the wolves before Edward came back. She knows the risks. But there are risks with vamps too. Being human is going to bring on all kinds of things that may or could hurt you. He couldn't keep her wrapped in a bubble forever just to keep her from getting hurt.

ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

Yes. Unfortunately for Charlie, he doesn't even get a chance to be understanding and forgiving, because he's not in on the secret, and no one can explain it to him. Honestly, I don't think to highly of boys who leave their girlfriends and then come crawling back, swearing never to hurt them again. I'd feel just as skeptical, bitter, and untrusting as Charlie.

Yes, but they didn't tell me so at the time. They let me figure it out on my own - that's just how they are. Sometimes I wish they would have told me sooner, though!

In general I think Jacob is horribly prejudiced against vampires. I think if he were open-minded, the book wouldn't be nearly as interesting, but in reality - you should never rule someone out altogether because of what has "always been." I don't think you should inherit enemies from other people, and the only beef Jacob had with Edward before he became a werewolf was that he was with Bella. He is also willing to let Bella go over the same prejudice, and I have a hard time sympathizing with that. I understand his hurt and conflict...but the note ends up saying "I miss you, but this is just the way things are because you're with him." He's letting pack rules dictate his heart, and I'm glad he begins to battle against that later on.

Yes. I understand that he didn't want to risk even a smidge of her safety...but the other side weighed out over that. For one, he admits that it had to do with his prejudice. For another, he realizes later that he needs to trust Bella's wishes - if she thinks Jacob is safe, he needs to let her live. He can't keep her in a bubble, even if he has seen what it's like to live without her. To Edward's credit, he realizes all of this later and steps up to be the bigger man about it - so kudos to him. But I was just as frustrated as Bella at first, yet totally understanding of his reasoning.

They aren't as much into my business as Charlie and Billy, but they do like to chit chat, yes.

Image Image
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

I don't know, but I guess that I would act like that being a responsible parent and everything. Of course, Charlie doesn't know everything that is happening. Bella's happiness and all that.

Uuuuuffff!! A lot! But justified :oops:

I felt bad for Jacob, I easely can put me on his shoes and he was having a hard time.

A little :|

LOL!!! All the time, it's really hilarious.
It's too green. An alien planet!
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Oh yes. Edward left his daughter broken and shut down. Edward was the reason his daughter disappeared for three days, and the reason she risked her life several times.

Nope, and considering I'm married it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacob's message to Bella.

So.Very.Jacob. All drama and "I hate vampires so we can't hang out."

Ugh, yes. I *hate* this part of Edward's personality!! He hurt her mentally more than Jacob every could physically!

Haha! Nope!

(This post makes me sound like I hate Edward... In general I don't but I do in the first part of Eclipse!)

Image Image Image
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

I think every parent will feel the need to protect their child against unhappiness and pain. Charlie loves Bella, she is his whole life. I think it is normal for him to blame Bella's unhappiness on Edward.

Oh, YES! :lol:

Jacob is really struggling. Their friendship is very sweet. It does not even come close to the intensity and commitment of Edward and Bella's love, but Jacob does feel very strongly about her, it's hard for him to do the right thing vs what he think he should do, etc.

No, after the fear and despair when he thought he lost her, it's normal for him to be overprotective.

I believe so yes hahaha :lol:
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified? Yes! Any reasonable parent would feel that way after what Bella went through.

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship? Nope

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella. I thought it was kind of childish.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push? Kind of becuase I didn't fully understand his feelings and worries about the werewolves yet.

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women? Don't know have no contact.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Yeah. With all the trouble that happened at the end of Twilight.. then Edward leaving her - leaving her in a zombie state, then coming back, ofcourse Charlie wouldn't feel happy about Bella being with Edward. But he needs to realise that she loves him. If Charlie knew how loving and protective Edward is, he might loosen up. Im sure Charlie would adore Edward if he knew that he wasn't to blame for everything that's happened.

Not that I know of.

I think he needs to let go and accept the fact that Bella is with Edward. If Jacob really loved her, he would want whatever makes Bella happy, which is Edward. Jacob is a selfish, immature little pup.

No, I understand. Letting the person you love go hang out with an enemy who you don't even know would be frightening. He's just looking out for Bella. He's lost her two times already (leaving her, than thinking she was dead) and seeing her go would be heart breaking. And not knowing if it's safe.. And knowing that Bella attracts danger.. Ofcourse he would be terrified.

Yup, they're WORSE than old women.
Last edited by Jadey on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart