Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 1 ~ Ultimatum

Post by Gochiruzeru »

1. Are Charlie's feelings toward Edward justified?

Considering his viewpoint of what happened to Bella, I do think they are. He has no idea about the truth, so he just sees Edward as a mean person who broke Bella's heart.

2. Have you ever had a parent disapprove of a relationship?

Nope.

3. Describe your thoughts about Jacobs's message to Bella.

Sad. It really sucks that he's feeling that way.

4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?

Yes and no. I think it's unfair that Bella can't be friends with Jacob anymore, but I understand Edward's reasoning behind it too. Werewolves are dangerous, and her going there could cause a big fight.

5. Do your Dad and his best friend gossip like old women?

Err, no. :lol:
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nora »

I'm not sure. I think Charlie just doesn't want him to become as close with Bella as they were before, because he's afraid that Bella will get hurt again. He doesn't trust Edward. But he should listen to Bella and trust her oppinion.
No, but that's probably because I have never been in a relationship.
4. Do you feel Edward was being unreasonable in not wanting Bella to go to La Push?
I think he was a little unreasonable. I understand that he just wanted to protect her, but Bella had been there many times when Edward was away and she was fine.
No, they don't. :)
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I can understand them, given what the break up did to Bella. He has a right to be angry and cautious about his return.

No.

He's trying to say something without hurting her, but not doing a very good job at it.

No, but I think he should be more honest in his reasons for it. While it is possible that one of the wolves could phase and hurt her, it's no more of a risk than her cutting herself in front of Jasper again. It's clear it's not his only reason for it. He should be honest with her.

No!
MouseyZbyszko
Settled in Forks

Post by MouseyZbyszko »

Originally quoted by Alphie

At this point, yes, he was VERY unreasonable. As proven in NEW MOON, Jacob had NO problem WHATSOEVER in taking care of Laurent when Laurent tried to kill Bella. So she is just as safe with Jacob as she is with Edward.

Whatever Edward's problems with Jacob, he needs to leave between himself and Jacob.....and stop shoving Bella in between
Ariana
Settled in Forks

Post by Ariana »

I think he's justified in feeling cautious towards the man that broke his daughters heart. Perhaps a little overzealous in his approach, but nevertheless, the way his actions are described through the narrative make his concern seem almost endearing to a point.

Not openly. I know my dad never particularly approved of the long haired, slightly alternative looking boys I had a preference to in my teens!

The crossed out lines I think make more of a statement than the end itself. Though while reading it, I couldn't help but wonder why you just wouldn't find a new scrap of paper to write the final note on?

I'm quite conflicted in my feelings about this, because on the one hand, throughout the books up until this point it's clearly obvious how protective Edward is over Bella, and I feel that he only has her own best interests in heart, so maybe I'm a little too forgiving of his point blank refusal to let her go to La Push. Saying that, I think Edward could have handled the whole subject a lot better.

I wouldn't know, I don't see him very often! I very much doubt my love life is a regular topic for him, though.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Absolutely. Considering how depressed Bella was after Edward left, I can totally see Charlie's hatred of Edward.

-Yup.
-It's frustrating, as I know close she and Jacob were before Edward came back. Seeing how much Jacob wanted her to stay in NM and not run off to Italy and how he blamed Edward for her not coming to visit, that it is justified he won't talk to her..at least for a while.
-Yes because he didn't fully understand the depth of their friendship and how close they became after he left. I understand he cares about her safety, but he also needs to respect the fact that she has other relationships she needs to take care of. He has to trust her more.

Nope.