Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by twilight1909 »

TeamCarlisle wrote:...was this supposed to be a comedy film?

I don't know about you, but when I read the books, I caught a serious vibe coming from them. The movie even started off on a serious note...Bella narrating her death...and then it switches to an assortment of bland comedic attempts that kept me chuckling (whether or not I was supposed to be) the entire movie.

I have no complaints with the gorgeous actors. They were simply acting the scripts they were given.
I feel exactly the same as you. I laughed during the whole movie, and Twilight is NOT a comedy! I was hoping it was a joke, like okay guys, just kidding, now here's the real Twilight...
I do want to add one thing to your post: I'm upset with the writer AND the makeup artists. Bad, bad, bad. Too much white paste (especially on Carlilse), why was Rob wearing lipstick??, and you can see Edward's contacts (yeah that has nothing to do with makeup but I had to add it.)
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

switzgal wrote:Here's some fan reactions on yahoo's website..

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810010670/user
I t would appear that the ones and there were a lot of them, who did not like the movie adaption, but loved the books had the same gripe I had - BAD direction and BAD script writing. :x :x :x

Some even said they were embarrassed for SM, so was I.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
mkdarcy
Settled in Forks

Post by mkdarcy »

I didn't like Edward's initial reaction to Bella's scent. Way over the top! I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but everyone laughed.
Did you notice the sweat marks during the biology scene when Edward introduce's himself? Edward doesn't sweat. Should have photoshopped that out or whatever it is they do in movies.
How many contact lenses did you see? If the director was going to do so many eye close ups - then make sure you have the budget to remove the lense lines! Yuck! It made it look so fake.
Edward never pinched the bridge of his nose. He does that when he's frustrated and angry.
Bella doesn't bring her book bag with her when Edward drops her off at the police station. Editing error. She needed that book to look at the legends the following morning.

Hopefully, New Moon's script will be less choppy and cheesy, Edward will be more "edward" and there will be more money to hide the contacts! I've seen the movie 7 times already and like it thanks to the entire cullen family, but it doesn't do the story justice. It's almost embarrassing.
MyHusbandIsMyEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by MyHusbandIsMyEdward »

I agree with a lot of people about most things already mentioned so I'll try not to rehash all of it.

I LOVED the "feel" of the movie, but I was disappointed by the plot gaps, some of the things left out. I think I was trying too hard to think about how people who didn't know about the book would react.

The things I loved most:
- Charlie
- The Cullens--they were awesome!!! Although I wish there were more scenes with them. I thought they were all perfect, although I wish it had been clearer why Rosalie was so mad all the time
- Alice was awesome...she and Esme and Rosalie were gorgeous!!!
- The baseball game--and it wasn't really even one of my favorite parts of the book (maybe because Edward finally was smiling in the movie during the game)

The things I disliked most:
- Thought some of the zoom-in-and-pause-and-turn-up-the-music scenes were a bit dramatic--like when we first see Edward especially
- The kissing scene--it was steamy, but I wish that had been like book when she attacks him the first time and then faints the second time
- I thought they left out a lot of the "getting to know you" stuff from the book--I didn't need it to be just like the book, just more bonding time

I went with my husband, who knows that I love Twilight but doesn't know anything much about it. I was really interested in his reaction. He actually liked it a lot more than either of us expected him to like it. (Although he did ask me about halfway through the movie when Edward was finally going to eat Bella. He seemed to think the scene when they were dancing in his room was the perfect opportunity--I thought that was pretty hilarious since in the book that's when Alice and Jasper (I think it's them) come to check on them because it sounds like he's having her for lunch or something). Anyway, he thought Carlisle was awesome and that Charlie was cool, especially when he was loading his shotgun right before Edward came over to meet him. I think that actually made him laugh out loud. And of course he loved the cars and talked about them all the way home. I was like "There were cars in the movie?"

Anyway, I can't wait to watch it over and over and over on DVD when it comes out. For a movie based on a book, I thought it was great. My favorite part is that I feel like my imagination is still intact.
"'I can't explain it right...but he's even more unbelievable behind the face.' The vampire who wanted to be good -- who ran around saving people's lives so he wouldn't be a monster..." -Twilight
mom4twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by mom4twilight »

MyHusbandIsMyEdward wrote:The things I loved most:
- Charlie
- The Cullens--they were awesome!!! Although I wish there were more scenes with them. I thought they were all perfect, although I wish it had been clearer why Rosalie was so mad all the time
- Alice was awesome...she and Esme and Rosalie were gorgeous!!!
- The baseball game--and it wasn't really even one of my favorite parts of the book (maybe because Edward finally was smiling in the movie during the game)
I agree with a lot of your assessment. I loved all the same parts as you. The baseball scene was absolutely my favorite part of the movie and it was one of my least favorite parts of the book. I, like you, think I liked it so much because it was the part were Edward was the most natural and fun.
Ohs0sexyBella<3
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Ohs0sexyBella<3 »

I thought they did a pretty decent job with the movie. I mean being realistic and all- there's no way to please all twilight fans. There was really no way the movie could have lived up to everyone's expectations specially with a budget and 500 or so amazing pages to cover. I was actually surprised it was funny. I cracked up a few times though i wasn't expecting to. It was great...I gotta give em' props. They did an amazing job;]

My favorite scene hands down was the baseball game. I had GOOSEBUMPS by how excited I was watching it!

P.S- Robert Pattinson is sooo hot!!!!
sorry- i had to add thyat... :lol:
Randomness Reggi..:)Banner made my the awesome shel:]
LindsOuimet
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by LindsOuimet »

The more that Ithink about the movie, the more that I really do love it. I just have to keep reminding myself that Summit has only had, what, liek 5 movies out before this? I wasn't expecting a big budget film, so I wasn't as disappointed as some were with the special effects. I think that they could have done without the 6 Million Dollar Man running shots, and just shown them from another angle, maybe the front, and it would have been better. I also didn't really care for them running up and through the trees, but I can live with that, too.

Highlights for me:
Jasper... Oh my god. Jackson is beautiful. I was kind of iffy at first, after seeing the photos of him, but he was PERFECT. He reminded me so much of Edward Scissorhands, and it made me love him even more. The baseball scene was almost too much for my already over-reactive heart. lol
Charlie was great! I think that they did a great job casting him, and they brought out just enough personality to make him seem believable. I loved the Halo he was ringing around his head. :)
The whole baseball scene was great! I especially loved how Edward and Emmett were laughing and joking with each other after crashing into each other.
Bella's Lullaby! My heart stopped altogether.
Edward popping the dent out of Bella's truck.
Edward in general. I thought that Rob did a really good job with the script that he was given. You could tell that he had read and studied Midnight Sun. Some thought the smoldering looks were too much, but that's exactly how I had pictured it. And he had the crooked smile down perfectly. <3
Alice was great! So pixie-like and sweet!
I actually liked the flashback scenes. Them all decked out in their old fashioned clothes was nice.
The girl that played Jessica did a great job, I thought. Just the right amount of annoying! :lol:
The fight in the ballet studio! If only the other special effects were as good as the ones here! I thought it was great. Especially the floorboards flying up.
When it came to James - let's just say I'm happy they decided not to go with what the book had said about him not being remarkable looking! Cam is gorgeous, and I was all for that!

There are so many more things that I'm sure I'll think of! I need to see it again!

Private Magdalena Devries in Jasper's Army
Bulldozer Operator @ EDC, Inc.
Randomness Bum!
Owner and Operator of Calming Coves Bed & Breakfast - Jasper says Relax!
crepuscule
Settled in Forks

Post by crepuscule »

I really liked the guitar theme that played throughout the movie. I think it's based on Bella's Lullaby, but does anybody know if the actual guitar theme is on the soundtrack CD?

Also, I didn't understand why Carlisle told Edward something like "remember who you are" when he was fighting with James in the ballet studio, and then let the other Cullens shred the guy to pieces. Can someone explain?
Find the most beautiful Twilight jewelry (Bella Bracelets, HUGE crystal heart necklaces etc.) at http://www.norianesbijoux.etsy.com

mananda
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mananda »

I whole heartedly agree with those who have said you need to see this more than once.

I just got back from seeing it a second time and it was way better. You kind of get over the fact that things were wrong or messed up some how and are just happy to see these characters on the big screen.

The makeup was still distracting though. bleh. and every time there was a close up on someone's face, I could see their contacts. Maybe it's just because I wear them... who knows.

Luckily there is a theater close to me where the matinee cost is only $3.25 so I don't break the bank watching this movie over and over.

I thought to myself today, I can't wait for the DVD release so I can watch it over and over.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

crepuscule wrote:I really liked the guitar theme that played throughout the movie. I think it's based on Bella's Lullaby, but does anybody know if the actual guitar theme is on the soundtrack CD?

Also, I didn't understand why Carlisle told Edward something like "remember who you are" when he was fighting with James in the ballet studio, and then let the other Cullens shred the guy to pieces. Can someone explain?
There is nothing to explain. Carlisle would have never said that because even though he hated violence he also knew when it was necessary and in the book he NEVER said that.

:x :x :x :x :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict