Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dazzled_twilighter
Wandering Through Town

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by dazzled_twilighter »

What I find really surprising.....and makes me kinda sad....is that Stephanie Meyer actually approved it. She even said she was so excited about the meadow scene, which in my opinion, was like one of the worst scenes in the movie. SO that just really shocks me.

switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

Yeah I think I read somewhere that SM didn't want to interfere too much with the movie. She put her foot down on some things like (Lion/Lamb) quote but I don't think she felt comfortable making too many suggestions. She basically left it to Catherine and Melissa.

Maybe after they hear some negative fan reactions, Summit will tell Stephenie to put more input in the next movies. I'm hoping anyway!!

lara
Settled in Forks

Post by lara »

I don't exactly think they're asking Stephenie for input, or that she's "allowed" to give it. Once you sell the rights, it's not your story to tell anymore. I know she was there for some of the shooting and did put her foot down about the Lion & Lamb thing, but surely she isn't okay with this. I can't believe her brother (her webmaster) said he loved it. I'm guessing they feel like they have to focus on the positive. If I were Stephenie I guarantee I'd be crying at home over how they butchered the love story, even if I had to say publicly that I was happy with it.

As I said before, I generally liked the movie, but the editing was just too disjointed and therefore we didn't see the characters/love angle developed.

And I'm very excited about New Moon getting made, I just hope they figure out that yes, we will go see it (repeatedly, some of us!) no matter what they have to leave out, but we still want the essential story left intact.
"My apologies, dog." - Edward Cullen, Eclipse

mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

I Really liked the Movie. I went in with an open mind and absolutly loved it. A lot of people I know have said they hated it, and I think it's because they thought it would be EXACTLY like the book, and nothing would be changed. I think people going in with a preconcieved idea that it would be their image of the book were disapointed. There were some flaws to the movie, but all around it was absolutly amazing.

I lovede Catherine's directing, all of her camera angles, and perspectives. It made the movie different from every other romance/teen/action flick. I loved how they shot the scenes in the trees with the copter going around, etc... It was ingenious. I do however think that Melissa Rosenburg could have done a litle better with the flow of the script and put in more Bella/Edward relationship. The actors were AMAZING!! Rob and Kristen were fabulous! Ashley and Jackson were breathtaking and I think nikki did a great job with Rose (love the death stares at Bella), and Kellan was sooo good with emmet. Just enough humor! I liked carlisle and esme too. Taylor pulled of an amazing jacob!!!

The casting was superb, the directing was excellent, screenplay needed some work. But all in all I think it was a great movie. I know a lot of people said it wasn't like the book at all etc.... but it kept the feel and the emotion of the book perfectly. Plus a lot of our favorite book scenes were in there. I also disagree with people when they say the meadow scene sucked. It just didn't go along with what you thought it would look like. It worked for me.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I give a lot of credit to catherine and the rest of the cast, because they brought this book to life, and they tried their hardest to try and keep the fans happy. I mean look how nervous rob and everyone was when the twilight hype hit, and the movie wasn't out yet. They have a lot to live up to now, if people dont' like the movie, they will be the ones to get the backlash.

mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

Just a side note.

How do you know if stephanie is okay or not with the movie? That is just an opinion. Her brother might have really liked the movie. That's his opinion. Stephanie might have truely liked the movie, you don't know. There were Tons of fans that absolutly loved the movie, and there were also tons of them that didn't. How do you how Stephanie reacted to the movie unless you know her.

All I'm saying is that by saying "but surely she isn't okay with this." isn't fair. You don't know what she thinks. Only Stephanie knows what she thinks.

melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

I am SO glad I went. After reading on line so many negatives of it being campy or directed poorly, scenes cut out, scenes put in, sparkled wrong I wasn't going to go until my friend called on the way out of the movie gushing.

I went yesterday and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. Robert is amazing as Edward. I left the movie with the same feeling I had when I finished Twilight. I was on another cloud somewhere. I didn't want to put the radio on the way home, it would and ruin the mood I had leaving the theatre. I want to see it again ... soon. Also don't leave when it's over, we get AMAZING out takes of scenes not in the movie before the credits run.

I thought Kristen did a perfect Bella. Bella in the book was very uncomfortable around people, hated them making a big deal over her. Kristen really showed that in every move she made as Bella. You could feel her crawling out of her skin but trying to be friendly. Bella became herself only when she was finally with Edward.

I thought Catherine did a very clever move in showing little montage type scenes with them talking to each other instead of having them driving in the car asking each other questions day after day. It was very touching watching them fall in love.

I super LOVED Charlie. OMG he was perfect.

No one laughed in the movie at the wrong places. Everyone seemed to love it as we walked out talking about it, comparing it to the book.

The scene in the end with Edward putting his arm around Bella when she's talking to Jacob? WOW The chemistry between Edward and Jacob as enemies was powerful. I cannot wait for the next two movies. I do hope we get Eclipse. Some of my favorite scenes come from that book as well as Twilight.

I'm still high off the movie. What is it about the books anad the movie that make me feel so addicted?? So obsessed! All I can say is go see it, don't believe the critics or negative posts. See and judge for yourself. I almost missed out on an amazing movie.

draco117
Settled in Forks

Post by draco117 »

I thought the movie was great. My girlfriend was kinda afraid to go with me, because she thought I would constantly pick out the differences between the book and the movie ( i was notorious for doing that with Harry Potter), but I behaved. Shockingly she was the one to do the picking.

melting into you
Learning to Love Green

Post by melting into you »

I'm so glad I went after reading fans reactions and reviews. I went in knowing pretty much everything so I could just sit back and watch like a lot of you did the second time. I'm glad I waited the week before going. I'm going to see it again though... and probably again. I can't wait for the DVD. I swear I'm still haunted by Robert's performance, it was soooo good. Kristen too, but for some reason Edward just stays with me. Robert really did pull it of brilliantly. Wish I could write them all a thank you note.

simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

It was funny how people who read the books caught on automatically when something changed in the movie and they were looking around at other people like "what did they just do that for?" and everyone laughed at the same parts like Charlie and the gun when Bella said Edward wanted to meet him. and the look on Edward's face in Bio on Bella's fist day. and the squealing when Edward saved Bella... all three times :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.

unlikelyfan
Settled in Forks

Post by unlikelyfan »

So I have to say that I did not hate the movie. There were some things i really liked about it...but there were also some things that were pretty horrible.

The humor was fantastic and unexpected. I never really busted out laughing during the book and I didn't expect to do it during the morning but I did almost consistantly. I am not sure if some of it was entirely intentional but it was still funny. For example, one of my favorite scenes from the movie was when Edward took Bella to his house and they were cooking for her. The portrayal of the Cullen family and the way they interact was fabulous. Anyways, I almost died when Rosalie freaked out after Edward said she had already eaten. That was pretty amazing.

I also liked most of the main action scenes. The baseball game scene itself was amazing. I loved it! Not so much when they got all hissing cats at the end but whatever.

I was also astonished at how well the ballet room scene turned out...it felt very genuine. Unlike the scene in Port Angeles...which was sadly tacky.

I also think Kristen Stewart needs to get some kudos...more so than her counterpart. I liked Robert Pattinson as Edward but I think the directing of his role was all off and his accent is kind of ridiculous. Nothing about the way he talked was loqacious or pleasing. Overall the actors were goos though. Even i could see that through the bad direction choices.

The romantic scenes were unbearably cheesy but I liked that. I like knowing that maybe it isn't so easy to replicate the way I felt while reading the books. I tihnk it could have been done better but I still think it would be difficult to make that type of scene seem genuine given the circumstances.

Oh, the skin...wtf! It was everything I hoped it wouldn't be...nothing about a glittery face amazes me. it's supposed to be shocking and fantastic. When edward decides to kill himself by stepping into the sun it's because he knows his skin looks astounding and shocking in the light...not like bad drag queen make-up.

ANd I agree with many others when I say very important parts of the backstory were left out. Like Carlisle's story...that's kind of important if they plan to continue...I have more (Jasper's powers) but I'll just stop by saying that leaving holes were necessary but some of the crap they added was stupid and unessecary as well.

Oh, and one last little thing...Bella is not some hollywood mall loving make-up wearing carbon copy girl! She is supposed to be modest and plain and sweet....not wearing ugg boots and clothes from abercrombie....and her room was so disappointing...I wanted to puke....It just disappoints me. Those things completely change who her character is. Maybe liek the fact she supposedly had a ridiculous amount of coats in the movie and in the book she had one! sigh...oh tinsel town.

But I still want to give the rest of the films a chance because there were good things about this movie and besides we all know we are too freaking obsessed and drawn in to ignore them!

Oh! the scene in the cafeteria was What on earth does fornification under consent of king have to do with this? genuis...i was jealous of the cullens!