Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by navarre »

switzgal wrote:
EandB wrote:I loved it but they did gloss over alot .It needed to be longer.And things needed to be more like the book.I'm so pissed it's not number one at the box office anymore we have to do something about that.
What's number 1???
My sister said that "Four Christmas'" was Number 1 this week and Twilight was #3.

Also, I got talked into seeing the movie again - my verdict this time, I did not walk out of the movie 'ticked off' like I did the first time. The only feeling I had was sympathy for the cast for a crappy script and direction. They looked soooo uncomfortable and I would to if I had to read from a script as stupid and choppy as that one was.

I just hope and I'm not holding my breath, that if and I mean IF they have Hardwicke return, maybe she'll see that her vision was not the vision of the author and that hers (Hardwicke) STUNK and she will do justice to the book - but that is a looooong shot. She has to remember this is NOT a teenage angst movie like "Thirteen", this is a fantasy about two people of diametrically different worlds that actually are meant for each other and they go beyond the human realm and their love is what sets them apart from any other love story.

It's the commitment to this relationship and the strength that they display among other things that set this wonderful story apart from other love stories and especially teen lust stories.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Zombie
Settled in Forks

Post by Zombie »

-Loved, loved, loved Billy. (His attempts at the kid's lingo was amazing. :D)

-The whole forest scene (How old are you? Seventeen. How long have you been seventeen? Awhile) was kinda a cheese-fest to me. Maybe just because I didn't like Kristen all that much.

- The (second? I think...) diner scene, when Bella's friends are outside...Mike dancing near the window cracked me up.

-Loved how it ended (with Victoria!)....ooh. That was great.

-Jasper=Love. The expression on his face all the time was amazing.

-Alice = voice kinda annoying, but I still loved her.

- "Is she even Italian?" "Her name is Bella." ....Lolz.

All in all, I really liked it.

I really, really did not like Rob as Edward at first, but throughout the movie he grew on me. That was my biggest reaction.
Ohs0sexyBella<3
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Ohs0sexyBella<3 »

Zombie wrote:-Loved, loved, loved Billy. (His attempts at the kid's lingo was amazing. :D)

-The whole forest scene (How old are you? Seventeen. How long have you been seventeen? Awhile) was kinda a cheese-fest to me. Maybe just because I didn't like Kristen all that much.

- The (second? I think...) diner scene, when Bella's friends are outside...Mike dancing near the window cracked me up.

I really, really did not like Rob as Edward at first, but throughout the movie he grew on me. That was my biggest reaction.

Agreed! Kristen didn't cut it for me all that much either...Rob was kind of in suspense for me but I absolutly adored him by the end of the movie. Jasper's constipated face rocked my socks like no one else and of course Emmett was just like a cupcake sitting by door of a elementary school...Just too sweet to resist!!! haha :lol:
Randomness Reggi..:)Banner made my the awesome shel:]
BrandOfHeroine

Post by BrandOfHeroine »

Zombie wrote:-Loved, loved, loved Billy. (His attempts at the kid's lingo was amazing. :D)

[/quote]

I loved the "Is she even Italian?" part cause Emmett puts on like a 'duh!' face and it looks so funny!
sarina1113

Post by sarina1113 »

BrandOfHeroine wrote:
I loved the "Is she even Italian?" part cause Emmett puts on like a 'duh!' face and it looks so funny!
I can replay that scene over... and over.... and over. Emmett's "duh!" face is amazing.
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...

twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

Zombie wrote:-Loved how it ended (with Victoria!)....ooh. That was great.
Too bad Edward totally would have known she was there. I guess his vampire skills aren't as great in the movie...
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
Dancing_with_Jacob
Settled in Forks

Post by Dancing_with_Jacob »

Okay finally getting around to posting my review here. First I would like to say the movie looked beautiful. It had a very interesting "look" to it. But other than that I have to say, and I really didn't want to say it...I was a bit disappointed. I feel that if someone did not read the book they would be very confused. I just don't think it was executed very well. The first half was rushed so insanely fast to me...one minute she hates him, next minute head over heels? And was it just me or did she look kind of like she was in pain when she was in scenes with him? I felt scenes were added that were unnecessary (victoria and james killing) - we would have known what they were and what they wanted - pretty obvious. It took up time that would have been better used to explain Bella and Edward's relationship more clearly.

I also feel a lot of the humor contained in the book was left elsewhere in the movie. The theater maybe gave a silent chuckle here and there to minute moments in the film but it just seems a lot of the joy of the book was lost on the film for me. It just came across SO dark. Again, I did not hate the film, but I am hoping for a better result in the future movies.
arnaras
Settled in Forks

Post by arnaras »

I'm going to seemingly be in the minority here (I'm too lazy to read all of the pages on this thread), but I thought the movie was "blah" at best. I'll admit, it was better than I expected; given the trailers, I expected it to be crap-tacular. But just because it was better than I expected doesn't make it great. There's no way I would pay money to see it again in the theater. I may not even buy the DVD.

FIrst off, the casting. Ugh. Could it have been more off?
Bella - Too polished and too put together. She's not at all like that in the books. And as someone who acts, I cringed throughout the movie. Half the time she was monotonic! No inflection, barely-there feelings. She loves Edward? Really? It's hard to tell.
Edward - He's the one who came closest, in my opinion, to the book. Still not quite there, but pretty darn close. I'd've been happy if all the characters had come this close.
Alice - Physically wrong casting, though they did seem to get the essence of the character. Not bad, but not quite there.
Emmett - Again, not there physically, but they got the essence of the character.
Carlisle - *shudder* I like the actor that portrayed him, but not in this movie. All wrong. If I hadn't had him introduced, there's no way I would have known that he was supposed to be Carlisle.
Esme - Same as Carslile.
Jasper - Another big shudder. There was nothing about him that was Jasper. Not the physicality of the actor, not the mannerisms of the character, nothing.
Jacob - Not bad. He seemed a bit off to me, not quite like the easy-going, smiling Jacob of the books. Too serious, too... I dunno. Just not quite right. Nevermind that he doesn't really seem very Native American.

Now, I know that there are those out there that are going to say that it's too hard to cast a movie and have the characters be just like to books. But it can be done. The Lord of the Rings is a perfect example. Casting par excellence. And they got the characters oh so close they were just about perfect. It can be done. Just not here.

As for the story... So much of the story is based on the chemistry between Edward and Bella, and I didnt see that reproduced here. The two together had about as much chemistry as my cat and dog do. I had no real reason to believe that Edward loved Bella as much as he said, nor she him. It just wasn't there.
But I understand that it would just be incredibly hard to translate the book to film. What they tried to do with montages and such just doesn't help convey what words do in the books. When reading, we get Bella's thoughts in addition to all that goes on. In the movie, we have to cut out things for time, change other things to make them more exciting, and we lose Bella's perspective. So I understand how hard it was to translate from book to script. That said, I feel that the translation was flat, leaving so much out that we were left wondering why these two would get together (other than because the book said so.)

And don't even get me started on the end. I wasn't impressed at all with the changes that were made in order to ramp up the tension.

I will probably go and see New Moon, much for the same reason I saw Twilight: I like the books, and I have a morbid curiosity as to how badly they'll butcher them.
singingsolitude
Wandering Through Town

Post by singingsolitude »

hahaha... you're definitely not in the minority! from what I've seen and heard from most people who have read the books, (except a precious few [which I wish I were one of]) the movie left a lot to be desired. I've already posted how I feel (pg. 40 of this thread) and it lines up with most of what you said. (except for the casting. loved all the characters except for Rosalie. she was the perfect biotch, but too "teenage girl" for me. not enough statuesque beauty)

I regret having to say this, but I think a lot of people's feelings line up with yours. :|
"The Greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love... and be loved in return...".
arnaras
Settled in Forks

Post by arnaras »

singingsolitude wrote:hahaha... you're definitely not in the minority! from what I've seen and heard from most people who have read the books, (except a precious few [which I wish I were one of]) the movie left a lot to be desired. I've already posted how I feel (pg. 40 of this thread) and it lines up with most of what you said. (except for the casting. loved all the characters except for Rosalie. she was the perfect biotch, but too "teenage girl" for me. not enough statuesque beauty)

I regret having to say this, but I think a lot of people's feelings line up with yours. :|
Oh yes, I left out Rosalie, that was bad of me. I completely agree with you, for someone who has been continually described as drop-dead gorgeous, she was far too plain. And I almost thought they went overboard on making her such a b****. I don't recall her being quite so in-your-face bad in book 1. Book 4, sure, but not book one.

I'm glad that I'm not alone in my views, but I'm sad that that's the case. This could have been a great movie, and instead it was something more akin to a made for Saturday TV flick.