Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Erynne
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by Erynne » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:46 am

*Wanderer* wrote:
Erynne wrote: ...I've no time for anyone who expects or demands perfection. Welcome to life - ain't nothin' perfect here. So get over it. *shrug*

- E
I'm not demanding perfection here. Just spreading my opinion. That's what this forum is for, right?

Love,
*Wanderer*
Certainly. And my opinion is that anyone who expects perfection is asking for the impossible. Why not demand Edward be a real (un)living and (not)breathing (non)person?

That is MY opinion. And I am spreading it. That's what this forum is for, right?

- E

Vanessa Wolfe
Settled in Forks

Post by Vanessa Wolfe » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:51 am

I also agree with JMer7711 about many things. I was a little disappointed with the movie. I never expected it to be exactly like the book, but I don't think it did the best job of capturing the book. I went to the midnight premier, with someone who hadn't read the books. She was confused with the characters at some points, and didn't understand some of the parts in it. She also thought it moved too fast. Bella and Edward never really talked or had deep conversations about mortality, like in the book. It didn't seem like they actually got to know each other; there was no depth to their relationship.

Edward and Bella barely spoke throughout the entire first part of the movie, just gave each other death stares, bascially. She seemed too antisocial, which wasn't one of her characteristics in the book. Sure, she didn't connect well with people, but she didn't close herself off to every one, even when she met Edward. She spends most of her time with him, but doesn't ignore the humans. Also, is she a vegetarian in the movie?

Many of the characteristics seemed lost. Kristen can't blush on cue or anything, but her embarrassment never seemed to be portrayed in the movie. She tripped and fell a couple of times in the movie, which was great. I also loved the volleyball scene.
When she was in her room, and had that dream about Edward, her sleeptalking was completely lost. My friend who hadn't read the books totally took that the wrong way. If she had talked in her sleep, it would give Edward a better reason to go and watch her sleep, rather than appear stalkerish. Edward didn't seem as bipolar to me as he did in the movie. He also seemed much more careful and patient in the book. Even in some parts, he was humorous (book), but he never attempted any jokes in the movie. He was very stiff and didn't seem as worldy and mysterious to me. He thought Bella's human traits were hilarious, but Bella never really showed her embarrassment or how insignificant she saw herself.

The meadow was also kind of a disappointment for me. He randomly gets mad and pulls himself out into the sun. The sparkles looked like sweat, and were hard too see at first. Edward and Bella never talk about themselves or eachother. I didn't see the "connection" that Kristen kept saying there was between them.

They never "test" eachother, like in the book he just smelled her and stuff like that. The kiss was really intense, and it wasn't really built up. Edward seemed to just decide to make out with her. It didn't seem as sweet and cautious.

I really liked the Cullens. Rosalie was great, and you could just see her anger and hatred towards Bella. Alice and Emmett were also amazing. Emmet was hilarious. Ashley Greene seemed perfect for Alice. She looked like her, and portrayed her perfectly. Alice was so graceful in the baseball scene, and simply chipper and cute. I really wish they had added in more about Alice and Bella's relationship, and formed the great friendship they have.

There was a little bit of humor in the movie, which I also enjoyed. Charlie's reaction to the car accident with Tyler was hilarious. His obsession with pepper spray was also funny. I really liked his character, but again, I couldn't see that relationship. Bella didn't seem to get closer to Charlie. He didn't seem as comfortable around her. (Same with Bella and Jacob and Edward. She was so friendly to Jacob, but behaved totally different with Edward.) Anyway, people in the audience were laughing during the part where Edward sucks the venom out of Bella's arm. I guess if you hadn't read the book, you wouldn't think about how hard it was for him to stop.
My favorite parts would have to be the action scenes. I think Kristen could've been better in most of the movie, but her acting during the action scenes were great. She did a good job of showing the venom spreading and the pain. The "wild goose chase" that happened in the book was completely shortened, and I didn't feel all the suspense. I think the actual action fixed that. Cam was fantastic as James. The dance studio scene was pulled together nicely.

Overall, I was disappointed, but I did actually like parts of the movie. I might see it again. I think people who haven't read the books will be confused though. I really hope they get a bigger budget for New Moon, and the cast pulls it off better.

StarGazer14
Settled in Forks

Post by StarGazer14 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:59 am

first post! woot :)

OK here's the bad:
-Rob needs to work on his accent. Get that kid a coach bc he spoke awkward a few times.
-Fix the sparkling bit so that Rob doesn't look like freaking Liberachi with just glitter all over his body.
-Give Jasper more lines and stop him from always looking constipated.
-I felt it pretty important that Bella always cooked for Charlie and took care of him...the movie gave us a diner. :roll:
-Not a big fan of all of Bella and Edward's convos being covered up with music. The movie just portrayed their love as physical attraction and never really dove into them discovering each other and falling in LOVE.

Onto the good:
-The human kids were hilarious
-Alice was just how i had pictured her
-Charlie was believable, and funny.
-HAWT first kiss
-Great depiction of Forks
-Good ending

The end! :)

I found the cure to growing older...you're the only place that feels like home.

kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:58 am

okay, sooo i think it was alright. not great but not horrible.

i hated the whole biology scene where edward put his hand up to cover his nose, i think he did that really bad and i just dont see edward ever doing that. and lets face it, rob just cannot do a convincing 'scary face.' they just looked funny to me. and i am VERY upset about the meadow scene. i think that should have been a lot more true to the book. and there was absolutely no character development on like any of the cullens. they never say alice's background or carlisle's. and my favorite man NEVER talks!!! you dont even get to know he can control feelings. =[

i LOVED the baseball scene, and a lot of the dialogue between edward and bella. i think kristen's acting was actually very good. charlie was perfect, just perfect. watching this movie made me just love victoria so much more, she is FIERCE! i thought that the whole sparkling thing was good, i didnt expect it to be at all. the whole setting and music of the movie was beautiful. emmett and alice both lived up to my expectations. and damn was edward gorgeous. the makeup was a little much and the accent wasnt the best, but man, i still love him.

basically i kinda just found myself wanting more from it. but i still love it and im going to see it again tomorrow.
then on to waiting for the next movie. i'll be set with my books in the meantime. i'm hoping new moon will be better, i'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of jake and the whole reservation.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3

truelove
Settled in Forks

Post by truelove » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:25 am

it broke my heart like the books did.

Just maybe seeing them personalized if you know what i mean.

I feel so silly.
I am 29 years old and came home and crired :? I WAS SOOO EMBARASSED

mari2147
Settled in Forks

Post by mari2147 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:13 am

I really liked the movies, and it was so fun to see this book come to life on the screen, but for sure there were some odd things put in....

-The first time they were in Biology there was a stuffed White Owl behind Edward with it's wings stretched out and it made Edward look like he had wings and was an angel. I couldn't stop laughing.
- I don't know if just missed it but did Bella and Edward ever actually say I love you, other than the lion and the lamb line.
- That some how Carlisle was much better equipped to hold a tourniquet than Edward and Edward was the better choice to suck the venom out. I know in the book there is an explanation, but in the movie there doesn't seem to be one.
- Some lines just did not go well from the book to the screen ( brand of heroin, or lion and the lamb...) Don't get me wrong I love these lines in the book, but it's kinda like in Lord of the Rings when Galadriel gives Gimli three strands of her hair in the book, but they don't show they just talk about it in the movie because it just wouldn't work on film, it's just to awkward. These lines don't seem to work with out the meat that is behind them in the book. The heroin line just seems so random without the analogy to go along with it.
- I so wish there was more with the Cullens! They were all great together, I would just have liked to see more.
- The one thing that was really unbearable for me was the whole tree thing. Just not my cup of tea at all.

On the other hand there were some great parts!

- The kids at the school were quite funny.
- Emmett waving the knife.
- Rosalie breaking the bowl.
- Edward's embarrassment because of his family.
- Basically the whole kitchen scene.
- Rob got Edward's smile perfectly.

There were more on both sides but I can't remember them, I need to see it again.

Brella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Brella » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:41 am

Ok saw the movie and well, it could have been worse and it could have been better. I agree with what so many of you have said. I think I was going to pee my pants when Edward first caught wind of Bella in the Bio class :lol: . The whold audience was laughing. And I don't know what direction the director gave Jasper but he really looked like he had a permenant needle stuck in him somewhere. He was making me cringe. But Jasper was awesome with a bat, I was totally impressed.

Highlight of the movie for me...oh my dear WOW. I went to the movie with 4 other women and we all began to breathe just a little faster when James jumped in that boat :shock: . That was just beautiful! :D and than Laurant with that shirt open :shock: ! Those bad boys were dang good :twisted: .

My one serious gripe that so far I haven't seen mentioned. Ok I read all four books...a couple of times and one of the constant things mentioned in the book was Edward's perfect body! Call me crazy but if they can airbrush abs and use lighting to make everyone of those actors in 300 like amazing then darn-it they can do it for Edward!!! I mean come on :evil:!

One thing that was weird to me (and hasn't been mentioned), at the end when they are burning James and the three them are kinda hopping and skipping around the fire with looks of total glee :?: . I mean I can understand it but I don't know it just seemed creepy :? . Oh and dude I am not going to criticize any of the actors or their skills but again with direction why the heck did Edward look one step away from crying :cry: . I mean i get he was going for anguished and tortured but he was dangerously deep into EMO territory.

So JMHO...

Oh and I saw the trailor for The Unborn too and I so can't wait to go see that...the old dude in the hospital gown, was AWESOME!!!
~Brella~
Member EDC, INC: Bulldozer Trainee
Edward prefers brunettes...Emmett likes blonds..but for Ian, the beauty of your soul is all that matters!
Skylar=My twin seperated at birth

la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:58 am

Because I'm lazy and have already posted my full opinion in my livejournal:

Here's the link.

Long story short:

I thought it was well done, in general, and that the casting was much better than I thought it would be. The script was very true to the book and Rob was an amazing Edward Cullen. People who are complaining that he was perhaps a little too emo must not have read the same book I did, because Edward is one sexy self-torturing-in-touch-with-his-emotions kinda vamp. Because of how true to the book the script was, I was truly surprised to hear people say they disliked it so much.

There's a ton more in my blog.

p.s JASPER IN THE BASEBALL SCENE. AUGH.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.

jaspercookie

Post by jaspercookie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:02 am

Haha, well, it was super, super cheesy at times and I just had to be a little weirded out by some of the cheesier things, and I wasn't a fan of KStew or RPattz performances really. But everyone else did a fantabulous job, and the Cullens were gorgeous (and that's always a box office booster). Carlisle is possibly one of my new favorite characters, right up there with Alice and Jasper who I've always loved.

The visuals were great too. Hardwick is definately a talented director.

edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:14 am

I loved the movie. I was happy to see all of our favorite characters brought to life. A few things got me though:

-the meadow scene:How hard would it be for them to say the lion/lamb thing when they were lying in that field together. It was supposed to being romantic not Edward being angry that she trusts him and dragging her up the hill
-More was needed in the Port Angeles scene maybe one of the many key convos could have been added
-Renee was not supposed to be there when she woke up in the hospital
-I wish he mentioned something about her lullaby it's sort of important for the next movie

But my favorite parts were:
-Edward's face in the biology lab HAHAHAHAHAHA priceless
-"You never say hi to me"......"Hi"
-Mike outside the diner that one time
-Jessica and Bella at the prom
-the ballet scene was perfection
-the prom scene was awesome
-I love the "I leave you alone for two seconds and the wolves descend."
-Carlisle is HOTTT
-
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3