Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
thursa14
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by thursa14 »

I absolutely adored the film. It was a total shock to me that it was so artistic and 'edgy' looking, but I think it worked brilliantly. I'm so happy because it would have been so easy for this film to turn into clichéd romantic nonsense... The music was great, too - almost overpowering at some points.

And, most importantly, the casting of Bella and Edward could not have been more perfect. I felt as if Bella was given a more obvious personality in the film than in the books and I liked her a lot more for it. Rob Pattinson was gorgeous and wonderfully awkward... and the sexual tension between them throughout was almost unbearable!

The only thing I didn't much like was the casting of Jacob (he just wasn't that, er, attractively animalistic in my view). Oh, and Carlisle was very odd-looking! Not too sure about him. I saw the film with a friend who hasn't read the books and she hysterically gasped "What is wrong with that man's face?!" when he came on...! Sorry, Carlisle.

Charlie and Billy playing in the road was FANTASTIC.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I loved the movie!
This sounds strange, but it felt like a community in the cinema, we all laughed at the funny bits.

There were bad bits, but mainly you just have to take them in a light-hearted way and laugh.
eg, the sparkling noise and the way edward had his hand clamped over his mouth like he was about to be sick
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
Alison
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Alison »

This movie is definitely laced with some kind of a drug. Absolutely in no way did I think this movie was the best movie I've ever seen, however, I have this continuous desire...craving to see it again and again. The first time I saw the movie, I ranted about how horrible I thought it was, and the more I went on about it, the more I wanted to see it again. Somehow in between my sentences of disgust, a strong love developed, and I am hooked. I've seen it twice, and I am already trying to plan another two viewings. Can I just admit that I've never seen ANY movie 4 times in the theater? I don't know what it is about the movie and the stories, but there is something so captivating about it all.
"...I wanted to dream. Maybe, if I could be unconscious, if I could dream, I could live for a few hours in a world where she and I could be together. She dreamed of me. I wanted to dream of her." -Edward, Midnight Sun
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

^^^
Sad but true. I also ranted about how horrible the movie was, though I differ from you in that it made me notice even more flaws and I became more and more disappointed. The only reason I saw it again was because of everyone swearing by the fact that it gets better every time. To be perfectly honest, I thought that was a load of crap. The damage was done; what could possibly improve the second time I saw the movie?? I'm very thankful I caved with their advice, though. It WAS much better. You learn to separate the movie from the book and enjoy it for what it is. I really did like Twilight the 2nd time around. That's quite a stretch considering how angry I initially was. I definitely agree with you -- there IS something so captivating about it all. Anything Twilight just feeds my addiction. It's strange..I never thought I'd be so attached to a fictional world. I would think I'm crazy, but the fandom permits me to blame the books' drug-like quality and not my sanity. :)

I wanted to add this from the Stephenie Meyer Q&A section:
She also said that when she was deciding whether or not to sell the rights, she had reservations, because turning Twilight into a movie would be SO EASY to do badly. But she said that if they got just one scene right—if they did just one scene well—that would be good enough for her. Even if the movie ended up being a Western. Haha! She said that since she is a visual person, she would love to be able to SEE Twilight.
Like SM said, Twilight is SO EASY to do badly. Fortunately the end result is far from the worst case scenario. She also said if just one scene was done well then that would be enough for her. Maybe this is why she has no comment when we lash out about the butchered meadow scene, the rushed romance between Edward and Bella, etc. I think a lot of us feel that way too. We love Twilight so much that seeing it on the big screen was like a dream come true, even if it didn't live up to expectations. Quite simply, that's why we're so forgiving and willing to see past the flaws. Let's face it, nothing can really match the books or our individual interpretations. But I know that seeing the characters and scenes come to life was really awesome, despite how wrong some of it was. The first time I watched Twilight I laughed about and critiqued all of the cheesiness, but it was still an oddly exciting experience. I was giddy just like everyone else. We were all bursting at the seams because these images were there before our eyes instead of in our heads.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

So I really enjoyed the movie. But now my Twilight obsession is in full swing again! I haven't let myself read the books since October (cause I was really bad just reading them over & over & over & over.)And it had died down. Now after seeing the movie (4 times already! and I really want to go again)I'm obssesed again! I listen to the soundtrack A LOT! I have the movie companion book & I love looking through it. So I enjoy the movie, but I'm mad at it for fueling this obession. Anyways....................
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I totally loved the movie. Espically the second time around. It was funny, it had action, and romance and all that other stuff that makes movies awesome. I was kinda disappointed with a few things, like the meadow scene, and some other things. But, I just can't wait until New Moon.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
escapist1901
Settled in Forks

Post by escapist1901 »

**Warning: Looooooong Critique LOL***

I just saw the movie two days ago, pretty fresh off of reading the book for the first time. Overall, it was okay as far as movies go. In terms of being a book adaptation, eh, I wasn't as impressed. As a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan and resulting Jackson film interp fanatic, I find myself coming into adaptations pretty critical. The Harry Potter movies have done well, there was room for improvement in Twilight...but they also have 3(+) movies to work with.

I think overall the casting was well done. I thought Charlie and James were exceptionally well cast. For my part Edward, Alice, Carlisle, and Jacob were also right on. I really liked Laurant a lot as well. I struggled with Bella quite a bit. She has been a tough character for me in the books as well, her personality is so different from mine and I have had to really work to get the vision on her in my mind that isn't that of an angst-ridden, immature teen. Especially because in the context of the book her life and actions should not really lead to this image! I finally had somewhat solidified an image of her I was comfortable with and then I watched Kristen Stewart's Bella...hmmm. Unfortunately her performance gave me just the image I had fought to dispel. What can you do.

I did not like how Twilight was filmed, flat out. I do not feel that the screenplay nor the directing capitalized on the strengths of the actors nor the story itself. The editing was choppy and lacked flow and the camera angles were way too close in the close-ups. Many have commented on the fact that this was a low-budget film. I am not willing to use that as an excuse for poor production, not in this day in age anyway. Lord of the Rings, for example, was a low-budget film (all things are relative to scope remember), and look at the exceptional work that was done there. Twilight had need for special effects that were vital to creating the realism from something mythical, Edward's skin, the ability to leap/climb/carry weight at speed/grace, etc... and these very important effects were "cheaply" done when they couldn't afford to be. They did do well on the speed when any of the vampires moved alone, I did like that. The screenplay obviously had to trim down the book, that is always the case in adaptations, but this film did so in a way that lost so much of the message of the book. Whenever you try to capture true love between teens, you really have to be careful how that's done or you risk it coming across as just an obsessive crush. Stephanie Meyer managed this so well in her series, I was very impressed, but the screenplay and editing of the movie did exactly the opposite and made Edward and Bella's relationship look like one of those obsessive crushes that every parent fears :-)

What I did really like in the film as a whole. Charlie was extremely well played and I feel like the film not only showed his character well but also enhanced it. The soundtrack was excellent! I thought the action of the Port Angeles rescue scene, the baseball game, and the James/Edward fight was well done and worked well. As a car fanatic I did LOVE the stunt driving, it takes a lot for that not to work for me. I also loved the baseball game. It played out so well on screen, almost exactly like I had envisioned it. James was freaking scary! Perfect! Honestly, he took the whole ballet studio sequence to a new level on screen than I had really let myself go when reading Twilight. I've since reread it and that whole section of the book way more intense. From what little was salvaged in terms of the Edward/Bella relationship, I actually liked that the chemistry between Rob and Kristen was a bit lopsided because it kind of captured the fact that neither was "experienced" emotionally but at the same time Rob's stronger connection to Kristen was a nod to that fact that Edward is (relatively) older than Bella and his life experience makes him more willing/able/ready to feel instant/deep love. One of those nuances that as a fan of the books I liked but probably not something that an uninitiated viewer would pick up on.

Phew, I'll wrap up quick for you guys! I do want to see the film again. Usually a second viewing will help smooth out some of the catches you get the first time around. I'm sure I'll be back with additions to my critique afterward, stay tuned (if you have an hour to spare, lol!)
"I didn't see that one coming!"
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

escapist1901 wrote:**Warning: Looooooong Critique LOL***

I just saw the movie two days ago, pretty fresh off of reading the book for the first time. Overall, it was okay as far as movies go. In terms of being a book adaptation, eh, I wasn't as impressed. As a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan and resulting Jackson film interp fanatic, I find myself coming into adaptations pretty critical. The Harry Potter movies have done well, there was room for improvement in Twilight...but they also have 3(+) movies to work with.

I think overall the casting was well done. I thought Charlie and James were exceptionally well cast. For my part Edward, Alice, Carlisle, and Jacob were also right on. I really liked Laurant a lot as well. I struggled with Bella quite a bit. She has been a tough character for me in the books as well, her personality is so different from mine and I have had to really work to get the vision on her in my mind that isn't that of an angst-ridden, immature teen. Especially because in the context of the book her life and actions should not really lead to this image! I finally had somewhat solidified an image of her I was comfortable with and then I watched Kristen Stewart's Bella...hmmm. Unfortunately her performance gave me just the image I had fought to dispel. What can you do.

I did not like how Twilight was filmed, flat out. I do not feel that the screenplay nor the directing capitalized on the strengths of the actors nor the story itself. The editing was choppy and lacked flow and the camera angles were way too close in the close-ups. Many have commented on the fact that this was a low-budget film. I am not willing to use that as an excuse for poor production, not in this day in age anyway. Lord of the Rings, for example, was a low-budget film (all things are relative to scope remember), and look at the exceptional work that was done there. Twilight had need for special effects that were vital to creating the realism from something mythical, Edward's skin, the ability to leap/climb/carry weight at speed/grace, etc... and these very important effects were "cheaply" done when they couldn't afford to be. They did do well on the speed when any of the vampires moved alone, I did like that. The screenplay obviously had to trim down the book, that is always the case in adaptations, but this film did so in a way that lost so much of the message of the book. Whenever you try to capture true love between teens, you really have to be careful how that's done or you risk it coming across as just an obsessive crush. Stephanie Meyer managed this so well in her series, I was very impressed, but the screenplay and editing of the movie did exactly the opposite and made Edward and Bella's relationship look like one of those obsessive crushes that every parent fears :-)

What I did really like in the film as a whole. Charlie was extremely well played and I feel like the film not only showed his character well but also enhanced it. The soundtrack was excellent! I thought the action of the Port Angeles rescue scene, the baseball game, and the James/Edward fight was well done and worked well. As a car fanatic I did LOVE the stunt driving, it takes a lot for that not to work for me. I also loved the baseball game. It played out so well on screen, almost exactly like I had envisioned it. James was freaking scary! Perfect! Honestly, he took the whole ballet studio sequence to a new level on screen than I had really let myself go when reading Twilight. I've since reread it and that whole section of the book way more intense. From what little was salvaged in terms of the Edward/Bella relationship, I actually liked that the chemistry between Rob and Kristen was a bit lopsided because it kind of captured the fact that neither was "experienced" emotionally but at the same time Rob's stronger connection to Kristen was a nod to that fact that Edward is (relatively) older than Bella and his life experience makes him more willing/able/ready to feel instant/deep love. One of those nuances that as a fan of the books I liked but probably not something that an uninitiated viewer would pick up on.

Phew, I'll wrap up quick for you guys! I do want to see the film again. Usually a second viewing will help smooth out some of the catches you get the first time around. I'm sure I'll be back with additions to my critique afterward, stay tuned (if you have an hour to spare, lol!)
escapist1901, I totally agree with your movie critique. You almost took the words right out of my mouth!
And it does get a little better once you watch it for the second time.

Love,
*Wanderer*
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

ilovetwilight wrote:Did you guys see this?
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collecti ... /fp#photo2
It's pretty cool that "Twilight" made the list, but they spelled Stephenie wrong! Gah, it drives me NUTS when people spell it with an A.

Sorry for double posting here.

Love,
*Wanderer*