Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ShinyVolvoDriver
Wandering Through Town

Re: Worried About the Twilight Movie

Post by ShinyVolvoDriver »

I'm pretty nervous about the movie, because let's face it, most book-to-film adaptations are pretty dodgy... or at least leave us feeling vaguely unsatisfied. My biggest worry is that they won't capture the humour of the book. I know that sounds kind of weird, but the whole teasing thing plays such a big part when Edward and Bella fall in love, and if they make Edward all serious and intense all the time it's just not going to feel as sweet as it does in the book. And Edward won't be as likeable. It's kind of like when they did The Da Vinci Code movie... I love Tom Hanks as an actor, but he played Robert Langdon completely devoid of all the fun and humour that was present in the book, and so the character became really staid and flat and, quite frankly, unlikeable. I just really hope they don't do that to Edward!!

Other fear... that there won't be enough Jacob Black :D (That said, there can't ever be enough Jacob Black for me... hehehe)
netnut
Wandering Through Town

Post by netnut »

im worried that they are going to turn the whole story around so that it doesnt follow the storyline from the book. alot of books-to-movies end up like that. & im worried they are going to cut so much out for the sake of length! im already dissapointed that they are not going to be shooting any scenes in phoenix. i would have loved to see the sky harbor airport scene, & would have loved to see her taking the taxi downtown to the hyatt hotel, etc. i always get so dissapointed with movies that are based off of books :(
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

i am not worried about this, i have a little concern, and just utterly curious since i've noticed it.
You know how Bella tells edward he's a vampire in the drive back to port angles. I am afraid (not as strong as the word) that they might have switched that scene to be in the woods, because bella says in the second teaser trailer "i know what you are, you're impossibly fast and strong. your skin is pale white and ice cold" and in that same scene, the 'how old are you. seventeen. how long have you been seventeen. a while" talk is also in the woods. hmm....

but i am sure, they've changed that for a reason. anyways, the movie will be GREAT....still curious though!
Tenoko
Settled in Forks

Post by Tenoko »

They're making a movie about my favorite book. What's to be worried about?

I'll let you decide whether or not there's a double meaning to that sentence.
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

I'm actually less nervous after finding out exactly what they were shooting/reshooting the 2nd time around. I can't wait to see this movie.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
Saz
Settled in Forks

Post by Saz »

I think what I'm worried about is that the movie won't do the book justice, I mean we all have our own visions of Edward and Bella and maybe the characters being used in the movie won't be what we expect or want them to be..if that makes any sense :D

I'm also really sad about her putting the most recent book on hold, Twilight but from Edwards point of view.
I really hope the Twilight movie is great and what I'm expecting it to be, or I'm sure I will be disappointed...
Alice: "I'll play you for it. Rock, paper, scissors."
Edward: "Why don't you just tell me who wins?"
Alice: "I do. Excellent."
Adriel
Settled in Forks

Post by Adriel »

I'm not just worried about the movie, I don't even know if I'm sold on seeing it... ever. Call me a purist, but books always win out in the end.

I seem to be one of the only fans that feels this way, but I don't agree with any of the casting that they did outside of Victoria, Emmett, and Esme. Yeah, the guy who plays Edward is nice too look at, but again, I don't think he's the same Edward from the books. In photos or still-shots Pattinson looks almost there. And yet, in the scenes in which he's walking and talking he feels like less than he should be. And I thought Bella was supposed to be smaller than Edward. Maybe it's my fault that I can't see Kristen Stewart as Bella. I'm pretty hard to please and for me she's too tall and way too skinny. Bella seemed (these may not be the best descriptors) sweet and soft. I would have been much happier with that actress that Stephenie originally wanted to play her way back when casting the movie was a fun pasttime on her website (if you know her name, let me know). And let us not forget Rosalie or Carlisle. I just don't see them as the dye-job types, which is how they physically look in every movie clip I've seen. I would much prefer those actors that kept popping up in fans' icons way before the movie was actually cast.
Case in point: http://www.freewebs.com/the-cullen-clan ... nFam03.jpg
Well, maybe subtract the Hanson brother out of that mix.

I guess this movie was bound to be a disappointment for me. I get it about books not equaling screenplays. I understand that things get lost in translation. And yet, almost everything that I've seen from the movie looks cheesy and forced. Edward and Bella jumping from tree-top to tree-top? Could this be the same Edward that's worried about Bella's safety? Yeah, that sounds like something he'd do. Or what about when Bella is giving Edward her vampire theory? Am I alone in thinking that the dialogue sounds forced and not at all intimate and embarassing for Bella like it was in the book?

I realize that this has turned into a rant, and that I've yet to even introduce myself. Plain and simple, I loved Twilight because it felt like everything that was happening to Bella was happening to me. It made me feel like I was seventeen again (only WAY better than when I was actually 17). And I know what's going to happen. The same thing that happened to Blood and Chocolate (another great read by the by). It only comforts me so much to know that Stephenie was there, because as much as they might have asked for her input, the people that financed, wrote, and directed the movie were not obligated in any way to her, or us, for that matter. They bought the rights and can therefore make any sort of outrageous changes that they want as long as the have a little sub-title somewhere in the credits that says: Based on the novel Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

P.S. Several hours later: Please don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against these actors. Pattinson was awesome as Cedric Diggory and Kristen Stewart was in another excellent-book-made-into-lifetime-movie called Speak that was actually very good. That's really the whole reason that I know who she is. I just don't think that they are right for the parts.
random_mad_fan
Settled in Forks
Location: Pondering the luna eclypse and wondering what new direction with come with the breaking of the dawn.

Post by random_mad_fan »

i have only one worry

IS IT COMING OUT IN BRITAIN?!?!?!?

seiriously i'm NOT waiting for the DVD or paying through my teeth to see it! I HAVE TO SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN!!

also i have evrey faith in Robert Pattrson (sorry if i spelt the name wrong i do that) i have to he's british :lol: when i first heard he was playing Edward i had my doubts but after being a youtube-serching-saddo-with-no-life i can see him pulling off ANY part! maybe my problem was I only saw him as Cedric Diggory; GOd! that shows how cultured I am!! :lol: jezz i have to stop laughing at my own jokes - it's NOT healthy!
"No matter how long it takes," i wispered to his charred remains, "no mater how long I stay on this side of life, no matter how many decades pass between us, NIkos you will always own my fiery heart. "
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

Sarah-Lynn wrote:I found this link on a MySpace fan site... if you haven't seen it, get ready... at 1:51, there's a sneak-peek... I've seen several behind the scenes clips, and I think this one is my FAVE!!! I got goosebumps when Edward says, "Well, I could always make you." You can see him "unleash the full-force of his eyes" on her... *sigh*. Bella says that at one point in the book (I can't remember where exactly), and it's nice to see that on the screen. This is the only time I've heard Rob speak in an American accent, but he got the velvety-Edward part down great, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGsXRjO2gik

OH.
My.
GOD.

I just got chills all over. Holy crap.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

yomahmaful wrote:who here is going to watch it more than twice?
It's highly likely that I will. :)

*This is me swooning over Rob*
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.