The Caves

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

The Caves

Post by Cocoa »

Discuss what the caves were like and find images that best fit your image of them to share.
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: The Caves

Post by midnight_fix »

the first time I read the book I was completely clueless as to the layout of the caves. I know Stephenie was describing them in what seemed like a pretty detailed way but it was just going right over my head. I just read on thinking "I'm sure Stephenie knows what she's talking about, I'll just take her word for it that it makes sense" :lol:

But upon reading it for the second time I actually started getting a picture of how certain rooms and tunnels were connected, which was really cool actually, even if my mental picture of things were way off, I figure it doesn't really matter, it helped the story flow better for me.
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

My hubby and I have been to several caves and caverns around the country, so I didn't have any problems picturing the set up. I haven't been to any in Arizona, though, so I looked at the pix on SM's website for reference. Very cool idea to set the human post in caves!
AliceC
Learning to Love Green

Post by AliceC »

I've been to caves before,
and god do I know how dark and scary they can be.

But when I read the Host, I never really got a clear understanding of the layout of the caves. I think I managed to picture the storage room and the places where the bedrooms were, but where the cornfield thing and the bathing pool etc with the 2 rivers - I was so disoriented when I thought of those.

I think it would be efficient if SM had put a map in the beginning of the book....

You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me. - Ian O'Shea
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I was really confused about the layout of the caves. At first I didn't even know that they were in caves! I found out about the caves by reading the about me sections of the characters myspaces lol! :D
Anyways, they are kinda creepy, I mean its a cave. Well, the whole story takes place in them, so you kinda have to get used to them.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

I also have been in caves a few times throughout my life. I was able to picture the layout well enough that it helped the story (in my mind. I could be way off from what she saw!!) I love how these people are using the caves as a safe house. It makes sense. She did a wonderful job on describing them and writing the book!!
ImageImage
JodeenSings
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: By my Spaceheater fighting off DISNEY PEOPLE with a spork!

Post by JodeenSings »

I would love to see an artist's depiction of the caves. I have my own idea and I think Stephenie described them well. Maybe a fan will post a drawing? <hint, hint>
~~~Image~~~
team turtle - that's how we roll
^Is that dorky enough for you Taylor?^
* My Dork Prowess - Spork Fencing! *
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

Did anybody see the Greenbrier hotel top-secret bunger in Yahoo! today? here's the vid...http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3812119/10436815
That reminded way to much of the caves(except more rocky). It said they snuck supplies in at night. whoa.
I didn't know there were actual places like that. . .

This is what I picture the "Recreational area" looking like. . .
http://www.itsnature.org/Natural_Wonder ... _Caves.jpg

And the "Parking Garage". . .
http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa_ri ... tour_1.jpg

A "hallway". . .
http://www.sol-system.com/koxenrider/tr ... cave01.jpg

The "main plaza". . .
http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/ ... es-049.jpg

coulnd't find a good pic of the kitchen
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
JodeenSings
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: By my Spaceheater fighting off DISNEY PEOPLE with a spork!

Post by JodeenSings »

threethings -
Thanks for your sleuthing! Did you notice the Bunker's Dining Hall had a black and white checker board floor and red decor. Reminded me of the BD cover. Thanks, again!
jodeensings
~~~Image~~~
team turtle - that's how we roll
^Is that dorky enough for you Taylor?^
* My Dork Prowess - Spork Fencing! *
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

JodeenSings wrote:threethings -
Thanks for your sleuthing! Did you notice the Bunker's Dining Hall had a black and white checker board floor and red decor. Reminded me of the BD cover. Thanks, again!
jodeensings
I didn't go to too much work... Thanks, trusty Google!
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage