Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amiee
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by Amiee »

I definitely prefer twilight above the host but.. I think that the characters in the host are better developed than the ones in twilight. Especially the main character(s). Because all you now about Bella is that she is very good for others, she loves Edward, and Edward can't hear her thoughts. But we don't know much about how she really ís. And so on with Edward, Jake, and the rest. But from Wanda you know much more about hér, because the host is more about the characters than the story, I guess. Only twilight is just.. such a great story and I really love it, it so addictive haha. And ofcourse, I think both books are awesome, but Twilight has just something.. :D
They say; 'Guns don't kill people. People kill people.'
Well, I think guns help. I mean, if you just stood there and yelled: 'Beng!'
Don't think you'll kill too many people, eh?
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Twilight verses the Host

Post by rainbowcrayon »

I have to say I love both the Twilight saga and The Host. Both books (series) are amazingly developed and have a knack for drawing you into the characters. Also I am a sucker for good, twisting love triangles that don't completely dominate the story, as some other main element almost remains more prominent, and both of these books (series) accomplish this well.
That said, I think I would say I like some books in the Twilight saga better than The Host and some are not.
For example, I absolutely adore Eclipse, and in my mind there really is no way that The Host compares. I love the way Edward and Jacob are both pulling on Bella, and the interactions between the three of them and how each changes the others. It is a fabulous book and I read it over and over and over again. However with New Moon and the original Twilight book, it is a much closer call. The Host really is an amazing book as well, with all of its many characters each well developed individually. Perhaps this is one reason why I love The Host so much more than Breaking Dawn. In the final book of the Twilight saga, it became hard for me to keep all of the characters straight and I was thrown off by a lot of the magical/talent/gift whatever and the imprinting of the werewolves (shapeshifters). Don't hurt me, but I was really disappointed by the Jacob and Renesmee plot thread. Perhaps it was the only way for the story to develop, but I didn't care for it. However with The Host, the otherworldly culture fascinates me, and I love all of Wanda's stories about it, as well as the love triangle/quadrangle with Wanda/Melanie, Jared and Ian. Also the large cast of characters is much better developed than in Breaking Dawn, and developed in such a way that one actually cares about them. So I do love the Twilight saga, and I love The Host, however I like The Host better than Breaking Dawn for sure and on the fence about the original Twilight book and New Moon. Eclipse is the best. I agree with Amiee.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

I think Twilight is definitely still more popular, but The Host is very unique as a story. I'll be curious to compare the series films when they are all completed and then compare them to the host once that comes out.
copper curls
Welcoming Newbies with Cheers and Emmett-hugs

Post by copper curls »

SweetImpakt wrote:
Openhome wrote:The novel does start out slowly, but I think that people are simply more into "Paranormal romance" than straight sci-fi. The Host is almost a study in character development, so there is less action and dialogue (which I loved in Twilight) and much more personal narative. Also, Wanda becomes a beloved character only after she gets humanized. The initial introduction is very jarring and it is much more work to get to know Wanda (although very worth it) than Bella. Bella is truly like everyone in some way, and you can slip into her narrative effortlessly.

SM did a great job at switching to a sci-fi style and the Host is a wonderful book, it's just a harder book to read and relate to. Still, very well done and very worth it, though.
yes I do agree with you there. The concept makes a huge difference...
^ just wanted to quote this whole thing... Openhome, I agree with a lot of what you said. I know that some people who liked The Twilight Saga just couldn't get into The Host - in fact, many people don't get through more than a few pages. I was not at all hesitant, because I enjoy reading almost any kind of literature. The introduction – which is what turned these people away – only made me want to keep reading. Personally, I liked The Host better than The Twilight Saga. I realise I’m probably a minority here, but I really enjoyed the difference of SM’s writing style between the two works. Reading Twilight was actually sort of strange for me, because it was not the same style as what I normally read. The Host was a lot more like my usual books, but at the same time, it introduced so many new concepts and ideas that I couldn’t help but fall in love with it completely.

~ Kat
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV
CptCanada
Settled in Forks

Post by CptCanada »

I am a huge fan of both series, but I have come to the conclusion that The Host was the better novel. The only aspect The Host is lacking in is the fact that there is currently only one book in the series, whilst the twilight boasts 4-5 books. I feel Stephanie really learned from writing Twilight and showed her experience in The Host, both in terms of expression, character development and personal style. I also recognize that The Host is aimed at adults, seeing as I’m 20 it makes sense that I related to it more.
copper curls

Post by copper curls »

CptCanada wrote:I also recognize that The Host is aimed at adults, seeing as I’m 20 it makes sense that I related to it more.
^ very good point, CptCanada (awesome name, btw!).
I think that The Host was much more mature both in writing style and subject matter than The Twilight Saga was...

this may explain why those, shall we say? less mature readers might not have really appreciated The Host, because they were expecting an extension of Twilight, rather than the more developed writing style that evolved in The Host.

I liked The Host better, as I mentioned above ^ however, I do not feel that it was "lacking" in any way because it was a novel on its own, and not a part of series. But again, this is just my personal opinion.

~ Kat
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I am unsure about a sequel to the Host (even though I wrote a one shot about Wanda's experience with a toddler). The book ended well, I thought. I wouldn't mind reading about other cells of humans or Burns' story though.
copper curls

Post by copper curls »

^ very good point! I don't think I want a continuation of The Host, because I fear that it wouldn't be quite as satisfying...

but I would love to hear Burns' story, with maybe the book ending with a tie-in to Wanda's story, just a small thing about meeting her and the others from that group, then maybe a bit about them sort of staying in touch, trading and things.

but that's just me.

~ Kat
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

TWILIGHT!!!
ImageImageImage
copper curls

Post by copper curls »

Cocoa wrote:Which book do you prefer and why?
Cullen_Lover wrote:TWILIGHT!!!
that's a real nice one-liner post there, Cullen_Lover.
just that you forgot the "and why" part of it.
oh, and also:
una wrote:Just a friendly MOD reminder about the Lex rules:

All posts containing the following will be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion:
  • One word/line posts - when posting it should contain a fact, opinion, theory, etc that contributes to the discussion.
in the future, please make meaningful posts that actually contribute something.

thank you for your cooperation,
~ copper curls