Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by SweetImpakt »

Openhome wrote:The novel does start out slowly, but I think that people are simply more into "Paranormal romance" than straight sci-fi. The Host is almost a study in character development, so there is less action and dialogue (which I loved in Twilight) and much more personal narative. Also, Wanda becomes a beloved character only after she gets humanized. The initial introduction is very jarring and it is much more work to get to know Wanda (although very worth it) than Bella. Bella is truly like everyone in some way, and you can slip into her narrative effortlessly.

SM did a great job at switching to a sci-fi style and the Host is a wonderful book, it's just a harder book to read and relate to. Still, very well done and very worth it, though.
yes I do agree with you there. The concept makes a huge difference.
Sci-fi is something a lot of people don't like. I'm not into it much myself, but I really loved the Host. People should just give it a chance because in the end it is still a wonderful lovestory, only with much more going on then(than?sorry I'm having some difficulties with keeping those two separated) just the lovestory itself and that really makes a difference with Twilight. The beginning of the Host is slow,yes, but you just have to get through it.
My mom made me read it. She said she wanted to give it a try and I was like omg I don't like the description of the book but she persuaded me and I'm glad she did.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Remmett_Until_Dusk
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Remmett_Until_Dusk »

SweetImpakt, I know what you mean about the 'then' and 'than' thing. I just guess most of the time; it never really seems to matter
Oh, by the way, I want to make a rainbow post so forgive the hanous colours.
Is hanous even a word? I think it is but spelling isn't my strong point
So, back to the topic. Uhhmm....
I myself, might be a little biased, since I am a mega sci fi fan. I mean, I don't walk around in dressed like a Klingon but I have my fair share.
Openhome, you know what I mean. Doctor Who and such.
But yeah, I know from 'persuading' many people to read the host and twilight (as part of my Cullenist Missionary occupation) that whether you like sci fi or not, it bears no relavance to how much you enjoy reading 'The Host'

Personally, I don't really think there's much sci fi in there in the first place. Twilight's waaaayy more fantasy. The host is more... realistic if you get what I mean.

Oh, and marks out of 10 for my rainbow post? xD
its not very bright but my next post on this thread will be. Promise x
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Demolition Crew! But not as good as Jasper's Confederate Army! Hell Yeah!
Team PG!-Remmett Nightstorm. ~ Cullenism and patriotism and the host. ~
Cullenism Martyr/Missionary in training.
arieonna
Settled in Forks

Post by arieonna »

I read the Host right after I finished all the Twilight books. The frist time I read it, I thought that it would be more like the other books. I desided to read it a second time and love the book so much more. As to chosing which one I liked more I can't deside. I think that Twilight grabs you within the first couple of chapter and you're hooked till the end. With the host it's a slower start. I can't wait for SM to write more.
Remmett_Until_Dusk

Mmm... see, me? I'm more desperate for SM to write sequals to the host than to twilight.
We all know about Midnight sun of course and how tragic it was that she stopped writing
but for me, the story ends with Bella's end and so if people want to write stories about other Twilight vamps
then thats great, its just a load of fanfics, right?
but the cullen story should probably finish here. Maybe have a couple more books where there are a few more additions to the family but no more than that.
Furthermore, I was informed that SM was thinking of writing books such as 'The Seeker' and 'The healer' and I went nuts.
I just, I need those books! We got the entire world from those perspectives but to see it not from the exceptions, the outlaws, but from the majority, the citizens of the new host world, it paints an entirely new picture, giving the whole ideology new dimensions.

did that make any sense at all??? :lol: 8-) :lol:
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

I got what you mean, but I am a 'completly obsessed psycho dork'...as you named me :P
And I totally agree, I would much rather read more host than twilight, i think SM's writing had come on tremendously in the host compared to the twilight series and I would just love to read more of Mel/Wanda's life.
Now I think about it I really enjoyed the host more that I did twilight, I mean twilight was great and I became completely obsessed with it, but that'sjust because of the edward/jasper thing..not because of the story or writing itself.
I think that the host has a better plot line and much more interesting characters and I would love to read more about it.

and I give you 10/10 for the rainbow effect remmett!
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Remmett_Until_Dusk wrote:Ok, that is something I would love to read. Fanfic? Maybe......

Awww, I reckon Kyle would be the best uncle ever <3

OK Remmet, here goes nothing! This is my take on Wanda with a toddler :twisted: , the teen one is still in the works. 10 out of 10 for the rainbow writing!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5289247/1/

Hope you enjoy it, Remmet, I made it special, just for you. :D
Remmett_Until_Dusk

AWW, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
shall read it on holiday and tell you what I think after.
and by holiday, I mean right now
*runs away and reads intently* :geek:
See yaa!!!
Oh and p.s., here's my rainbow of thanks x

~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Thanks for the lovely rainbow Remmett! :D
Let me know what you think, because I have some more fun ideas. However, they will have to wait until after I finish posting the other fanfic about Alice.
Back on topic, I keep hoping to hear something from SM about what she is writing next. I keep trying other books, and they are excellent, but just not her writing style.
Remmett_Until_Dusk

I READ IT!!! I READ IT!!!

BIG WOW AND A GOLD STAR >>> *

you totally got it. I was laughing my head off all the way through xD
but you really captured Wanda in that situation and the sharon/maggie thing - I was cringing :D

I'd love to see you write more about the marriage between Wanda and Ian though.
there was a brief mention but it would be interesting to observe the contrast since parenthood was a tricky thing for her whereas loving Ian came naturally
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

First i gotta say Love the whole mommy thing on your story Openhome I cant leave a review but Wow loved it what mom has not when thro that did like the end ..want to shuff them off a cliff...been there ok still there my daughter is a mean as a corned rattlesnake altistic 10 yearold diff then normal kids but that emotion is there 100fold :(

back to topic... I would say i liked Twilight saga most because without that i would have never read Host weird thing is i know there could be other books to it but to me the end felt like the end where in Twilight i sorta think it could go on not realy Bella an Edward more like Jacob. Nessie and Nahuel, but same time jeezy does poor Jacob need to go thro anymore. Ok maybe it's just cause i was so obbesses i know enough is enough is too much :roll: :lol:

But after gettin past the begining with the whole alien worlds thing the story to it is awesome, My hubby plays one game called Fallout and it funny i know the world is same nothings blowen apart but the book gave me a Fallout sorta feel i loved that about it. OK can i change my answer .....jeez now i wanna read the Host agian....off ta read ^,..,^