Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Worlds

Post by ringswraith »

slightlyobsessed wrote:That's a very good question, Black, and one I've been wondering myself for a while.

How DID the Souls get into the bodies without hands? I mean, even when it was just the vultures they were inhabiting? How did they discover the process? How did they perform the surgery without the dexterity necessary for a potentially dangerous operation?

And right before they inhabited the first human, how did they figure out the best method for implantation?

I wonder if SM is going to share the answers with us at some point.
I can answer at least part of that.

They learned how to implant themselves in humans by experimentation. I believe Wanderer tells Jeb, maybe some others, in the cave this when someone poses the same question to her. From what I understood, they "abducted" some humans to try it out.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

This is making me all the more anxious to reread, lol.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

How DID the Souls get into the bodies without hands? I mean, even when it was just the vultures they were inhabiting? How did they discover the process? How did they perform the surgery without the dexterity necessary for a potentially dangerous operation?
Ok, so... apparently the spiders were the first ones to be implanted and they did it themselves. The book said something about some souls walking around on the spiders' planet (how they got there, I don't know) and I guess the spiders performed the first operation. I still don't know how they knew that they could do it but I suppose one of their three brains told them it would be a good thing to try.
Faith<3 Twi
Settled in Forks

Post by Faith<3 Twi »

I think it was really cool how SM put so much thought into her books- i mean, she went to the lengths to providing multipule worlds within the world she had already created (not physically ofcourse), and in away you learn more about Wanderer (man, it IS a mouthful) that way, you know, by seeing which worlds shes liked best-she doesnt like "Fire world" because shes very kind and fragile (not that we DIDNT know that it just stregthens the knowlege of that) and she tought in all her other worlds too, so it says something about her there too. so many minor details can add up to such a big difference in personallity.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I think the worlds are cool - and stephenie meyer actually thought up stories and creatures for each of them which makes it believable. I wondered how humans came to find out about the other planets...
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Faith<3 Twi wrote:by seeing which worlds shes liked best-she doesnt like "Fire world" because shes very kind and fragile (not that we DIDNT know that it just stregthens the knowlege of that)
Lol, who would want to live on the Fire world? Not me.

Anyway, I don't think SM did a very good job on the worlds. They all seemed very one-dimensional and it was clear that they were created through an Earthling's perspective.
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

I have to say that i like the Bats, because i found the way they mourned for each other interesting and vary meaningful. I also thought it was interesting that each World had a creature that was sort of like ours, like the "bats" they fly around singing songs.

I also found the "dolphins" really intreasting and the way Wanda described them seeing colors sound beautiful.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I think it is interesting how Wanda can't describe them properly because the colours are different to what we have on earth - it's hard to picture a colour that we don't have, if that makes sense.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

-Jasper wrote:I think it is interesting how Wanda can't describe them properly because the colours are different to what we have on earth - it's hard to picture a colour that we don't have, if that makes sense.
I tottaly agree wıth you... It ıs hard to pıcture that.... AND ıt tottaly makes sense :D

TRAINEE OF E.D.C.!!!!!!!!!

I <3 BLUE BLOODS ALMOST AS MUCH AS TWILIGHT! ( i said almost!)
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

I think it be great if SM wrote a book kinda like the Twilight guide but like a description of each planet. Maybe even an artist could draw each creature and planet. . . . . . . . . .I think it's strange that it takes 100+ years
to get to another planet. I have to say my favorite planet is the Dolphins, I just wish there was more about planets in the book. . . . . . . Maybe in a following book there will be more on them. *crosses fingers
AGREED!!! THAT WOULD BE SOOOO COOL!!
i think maybe the see weeds would be interesting. it sounded like an underwater type thing.
Betting on Alice.