Question of the week 9-8

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

Question of the week 9-8

Post by Cocoa »

Wanda's final betrayl of the Souls came when she told the doctor how to safely remove the soul from its host. And yet she sent the soul to another planet to be inserted into another host. Do you find that counter productive or merely an understandable result of the Wanda's attachment to the human species?
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Re: Question of the week 9-8

Post by Ouisa »

On the planet of the fire-eaters it is necessary for their survival to consume another sentient being. It's a regrettable but inevitable choice. The souls, bound in their need for survival continue the practice, but make it as compassionate and painless as possible. Likewise the souls must have host bodies in order to survive. Wanderer's choice to send The Seeker, Summer Song and the other removed souls to another planet to be inserted is a similar choice. It must be done but at least on another planet it is a more compassionate choice. No other host species has resisted or been as passionate about their survival before.
Li'lBit
Wandering Through Town

Post by Li'lBit »

She's in an impossible situation. Something must die no matter what the choice she makes. She's giving life back to a human being - righting a cruel wrong. But to make the wrong right again, there has to be a sacrifice made. Since she is neither the soul nor the next host in this case it can't be a self-sacrifice, she must choose what she understands to be the thing that will cause the least pain all-around.

It seems that she must realize this, because when it comes to her own life she chooses the option of self-sacrifice . . . and then the people around her who are unable to live with that sacrifice choose the option available to them that will cause the very least amount of pain as well.
Cocoa

Post by Cocoa »

Ouisa wrote:No other host species has resisted or been as passionate about their survival before.
Except for the northern civilation of (I don't remember what they were called) sea flowers who died rather then submit willingly to the takover.
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

The See Weeds! You are right Cocoa, I forgot about them.
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

Definitely Wanda's attachment to the humans. I don't think she would give up that secret for any other species in the universe, nor do I think she would even be put in the position to make the choice she did on any other planet. This is the planet where she found love, found where she belonged, she never had that attachment before.
The humans, despite their good intentions would continue to murder the souls in their pursuit to extricate them from the body, what was Wanda to do? She could never turn them in, her loyalties were no longer with the souls even if she still loved them as her family.I think her regret for what the souls had done was pretty exclusive to what they had done to the human race...not necessarily to the other species.
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

i think that she was trying to help the humans without hurting the souls because they were her species.I thought that she did it because she didn't want doc. to kill anymore people trying. I thought it was noble :D
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

I think it comes as a result of her understanding of the species of human. Any other species wasn't as developed as the humans are. She realized that being used as a host species was not suitable to the human's way of life like it had been to the other host species. She was also saving both species at the same time, which I think truly showed how unselfish and caring she was for life in general. She never wanted to hurt anything or anybody and I think that when she saw they were hurting the humans, she couldn't do anything but try to save them. It was her nature. I only think it would have been a true betrayal to her race if she had ended up just killing the other souls. I think she was just doing what she saw was the right thing.

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army
Latima
Settled in Forks

Post by Latima »

Wanda is a soul herself and so the last thing she wanted was to do anything harmful to the soul. Sending the soul off to another planet to be put into another host was the best case senario for the Seeker. She would have been the final ok for her death if she did not come up with that solution. Her huge issue was to save the soul and I think she accomplished that goal. I also think she comes up with this decision not only because she identifies with the humans and their emotions, but also bacuse she is a soul and they are supposed to be essentially good. Now that I am not sure I can agree with, thats how they are supposed to be anyway.