Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ummplz
Settled in Forks

Re: The Plot

Post by ummplz »

so i read like two posts here cause i didnt want to ruin the book for me.
but i take it the beginning is slow and its not just me? does anyone possibly know around where the story starts to pick up and get better?
if you do it'd be great if you could tell me? :]
Old Account Name: TeamEdward/Robert ! (L)
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

The story begins very slowly, which is great because it's an intro to the whole plot. In the beginning it was a little hard for me to understand what's Seeker's purpose, and why did the Souls invade all of those planets in the first place. But that's just the first couple of chapters. Later on you get to know everything and it's really interesting and intriguing!
ummplz
Settled in Forks

Post by ummplz »

okaaaaay :) thank you alotalotalot x]
Old Account Name: TeamEdward/Robert ! (L)
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

At first I thought the entire premise was totally creepy. I mean, the idea of something LIVING on your BRAIN. I almost stopped after the insertion -- in fact, I almost didn't read the entire book b/c of it.

But, in typical SM fashion, the characters drew me in with their voices, strength and overall dynamism.

SPOILERY STUFF

I loved the fact that there was a resistance at all; and I loved the fact that the souls were just so nice it was nearly impossible to hate them, yet they were the enemy!

I have to say, I was a little excited for a bit of an uncomfortable ending with Wanderer sacrificing herself... but wasn't ultra surprised SM's characters didn't end up that way. She's not very Shakespearean, that one.

Image Image Image
bluemaria
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by bluemaria »

akire wrote:
I have to say, I was a little excited for a bit of an uncomfortable ending with Wanderer sacrificing herself... but wasn't ultra surprised SM's characters didn't end up that way. She's not very Shakespearean, that one.

I agree. Even in Breaking Dawn I was preparing for everyone to die (thought Bella's dreams were foreshadowing). That said though SM's books are a great escape. A happy ending is always nice. If I want great tragedy I can (like you implied) read Hamlet of Macbeth :)
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

Well, it's an interesting idea. I'll give her that. The plot started a bit slow and there weren't any unexpected twists- I called everything, including the happily ever after.
What I don't get is why she is planning sequels (if in fact she is...?). I mean, she gave her characters their happy ending. The story's over. So what's up with writing a continuation of a story that's already over?
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I finally read the book this past weekend. It started off slow I think. I was confused till almost the end of the book. Then everything clicked for me. I liked how they couldn't get Jodi to come back, so they put Sunny back in her. I thought it was funny how Wanda's new Host body was so shy and not strong. I also liked that she ended up with Ian.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story