The Story arc

Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

The Story arc

Post by Cocoa »

Discuss the plot of the story your overall impressions, the suprises along the way...ect...
sinamongurl
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: My body is in Pennsylvania, but my heart is in Forks!!

Re: The Story arc

Post by sinamongurl »

i was very surprised about the myths that stephenie wrote about that were not truth

ie: sparkling skin in the sun, no silver bullets, crosses, or garlic

did she do research for this or were these things that are already common knowledge?
Team Robert--He is Edward incarnate!!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I really liked the Host, but it took a while for me to get into it.

The biggest surprise for me in this novel was that the group decided not to kill Wanda, and to put her into another Host body. I really didn't see that one coming.
Morrigan
Settled in Forks

Post by Morrigan »

hum..

it was clever to use the ruse of an alien life form to transgress the question of who we are and what we are supposed to be.

when you break it down, the aliens were very helpful on all other planets because all other hosts had a different form of conciousness. most already were mentally linked or lived in hive/coven type atmospheres.

humans pride themselves on individuality.

i LOVED the fact that there were other aliens who assimilated to the human perspective at the end. the fact that even ones who live(d) in a structured "perfect world" setting still broke out of a mold and found a voice. it was ok that everyone else wanted to be in their social structures, WANDA even often spoke of how much easier it was to be in that mindset... where everyone was honest, pure, connected...

but thats not always enough.

by the trial of fire and suffering we find our true selves.
infernal dingbat
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

I'm sorry, this is not the place to post this...........but there's no where better.

My sis was watching Spider-man 3 on the treadmill and mentioned that it reminds her of The Host in the way that Peter's professor says (when he is looking under the microscope at the black stuff)......"this stuff needs to bond to a host to survive,". Now thinking of it, that is very relevant.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

I loved how Stephenie Meyer made the surprice of Wanda made the choice to go look for Melanie's family
It was also kind of surpricing how Ian fell in love with Wanda since that isn't supposed to happen :D
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
cedwardrox
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cedwardrox »

ashleygill03 wrote:I really liked the Host, but it took a while for me to get into it.

The biggest surprise for me in this novel was that the group decided not to kill Wanda, and to put her into another Host body. I really didn't see that one coming.
I totally agree. The Host was amazing, but it took a long while until I was hooked. I mean Twilight got me on the first line of the preface, where as The Host took chapters for me to be addicted.

I'm glad Wanda didn't die. I was crying when I thought she was going to die. I'm not to keen on Pet's body though. I wish they got a different body.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." (EC)
"What a stupid lamb." (BS)
"What a sick, masochistic lion." (EC)

Team Nessie. NO! Not the Loch Ness Monster!

E<3B (Team Edward)
R<3B (Team Renesmee)
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

cedwardrox wrote:
ashleygill03 wrote:I really liked the Host, but it took a while for me to get into it.

I totally agree. The Host was amazing, but it took a long while until I was hooked. I mean Twilight got me on the first line of the preface, where as The Host took chapters for me to be addicted.

I'm glad Wanda didn't die. I was crying when I thought she was going to die. I'm not to keen on Pet's body though. I wish they got a different body.
My sister just started reading it and isn't so hooked, yet. I'm trying to convince her that it gets MUCH better if she just keeps readin'. . . . . . . . But she just forgets about it.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

I kept wondering what the plot was supposed to be. Halfways through I thought that the story had been told, what else is she going to talk about for 300 more pages?? That is just how SM writes though... I think her writing is kinda slow to get to the point, and then the point isn't that much of a surprise. I wasn't surprised by much... I knew that they were going to put her into another host body. I just didn't see any other way. Maybe that is the English major coming out in me... I'm able to predict just about every work I read. I thought it was a very enjoyable story though. I would have liked a little more action, but then again I think that is SM's writing style- most of the action is psychological rather than physical.

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

I was skeptical at first when the book first came out because I do not like reading sci-fi at all. But since it was Stephenie Meyer and i loved the Twilight saga, I thought I would give it a try..I didn't buy it until actually a month ago and it took a while for me to read because of being in school..but I really loved this book!! At first I was really confused and there are still some parts that confuse me like, why these souls were invading Earth and inhabiting humans..To me it was like stealing and murder..

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait to see what else SM comes up with. Never has an author captured me like this before. Some people complain about SM's writing but I love it because she doesn't try to drown the story in an advanced vocabulary just to make herself seem smarter as a writer..

And I hope I was not the only one, but with the last 10 chapters of the book, I was freaking bawling my eyes out. It was hard to keep reading because after I would wipe my eyes, they teared up again. :lol: