Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
knoxdiver
Settled in Forks

Re: Just Ian

Post by knoxdiver »

Seems like it's been happening a lot, but I also agree: Ian is amazing.

I was all set to be all into Jared, seeing as the book is called a love triangle with two bodies, but he just..ugh. Anyway, not to digress, Ian, on the other hand, I liked just about from the very beginning. When he was talking to Jeb, reasoning with him right after they found Wanderer and Melanie in the desert, I had the feeling he couldn't be all bad. And I love the way he was always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt (except for Kyle) or the way he changes his mind.

I know Ian is desperate to have and keep, but you have to think: these people have seen the end of their world, their species almost. They have nothing left. They think there's no one left. Kyle had a girlfriend and Jared had Melanie, but both women were taken by the souls. Ian (as far as we know) never had anyone. They say it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Therefore, Kyle and Jared are actually better off than Ian because they got the girls for however short a time. When Ian finds Wanda, he finds that person who fits with him in all ways. Wouldn't you be kind of desperate to keep that person if you were in the same position? I'm almost certain I would. It's amazing to think that he was willing to forgo his happiness just to keep Wanda around in Mel's body. He tells her she can have Jared if that's what she wants. He just wants her around and to be safe. I think that's incredibly selfless on his part. .....Lucky for him, Jared and Mel weren't the same, and they were able to keep Wanda around.

And yeah, guys should read The Host to see how to treat a woman. Minus the whole I'm-gonna-strangle-you-now part, of course!
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

knoxdiver wrote:Seems like it's been happening a lot, but I also agree: Ian is amazing.

I was all set to be all into Jared, seeing as the book is called a love triangle with two bodies, but he just..ugh. Anyway, not to digress, Ian, on the other hand, I liked just about from the very beginning. When he was talking to Jeb, reasoning with him right after they found Wanderer and Melanie in the desert, I had the feeling he couldn't be all bad. And I love the way he was always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt (except for Kyle) or the way he changes his mind.

I know Ian is desperate to have and keep, but you have to think: these people have seen the end of their world, their species almost. They have nothing left. They think there's no one left. Kyle had a girlfriend and Jared had Melanie, but both women were taken by the souls. Ian (as far as we know) never had anyone. They say it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Therefore, Kyle and Jared are actually better off than Ian because they got the girls for however short a time. When Ian finds Wanda, he finds that person who fits with him in all ways. Wouldn't you be kind of desperate to keep that person if you were in the same position? I'm almost certain I would. It's amazing to think that he was willing to forgo his happiness just to keep Wanda around in Mel's body. He tells her she can have Jared if that's what she wants. He just wants her around and to be safe. I think that's incredibly selfless on his part. .....Lucky for him, Jared and Mel weren't the same, and they were able to keep Wanda around.

And yeah, guys should read The Host to see how to treat a woman. Minus the whole I'm-gonna-strangle-you-now part, of course!
^^Exactly. I agree with everything you said here. Including the part about being set to be all into Jared. :D
You summed that up brilliantly! I especially liked the part about how guys should read The Host. ;)

Love,
*Wanderer*
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I love Ian i love how he changes through out the book!
All i remember is Ian is a great character, I must re-read the Host before I have to give it back to my friends, maybe I'll buy my own copy.....
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

I too loved Ian. He seems like I guy that I could fall in love with and he is on my top ten fictional characters along with Edward, Jacob, and Mr. Darcy. All four of these men seem like guys that I could really fall for and I only wish to be so lucky as to find a guy as wonderful as them someday...

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
jlbower79
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by jlbower79 »

BerAngelVamp wrote:
jlbower79 wrote:i wish someone was desperately wanting to be with me... :)

I love Ian! He would do anything in the world for his Wanda.

btw just read it yesterday and ahh in love!

yea, tell me about it! i can honestly say i've never been desperately wanted by anyone. which sucks considering i'm married....i think all men should have to read twilight and the host to see how they are supposed to treat a woman. :roll:
sorry this is taking me so long to reply.. i been out of town for a week or so... ANYWAYS wanted to say DITTO DITTO DITTO ..
Im married
My hubby has read Twilight and right now as I type this we are listening to The Host autobook which is WONDERFUL! (unlike Twilight where it sucked.) It's great!

Doesn't work.. my hubby still treats me like an UNLIKE Ian. I want Ian, I love him. I want Ian. =o)
is CRYING over her "Doesn't anyone ♥ ME?" button.
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER *DRIVER*
mzunfabulous0235
Settled in Forks

Post by mzunfabulous0235 »

I think that Ian is wonderful.. everything about him.. but mostly the fact that he is just human.
Nothing else. Not a vampire, not a wolf, not a soul... just a human.
I may be Team Edward, but I'm also Team Taylor!
Brella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Brella »

I never quiet understood the obsession most people had regarding Edward. I do agree he was admirable at times but for the most part I thought he was just too much, ya know what I mean? Too good, too beautiful, too noble, too intense. I must admit he seemed even a little too whiney for me and Jacob although more to my taste was too young, not bad but young. I have just finished The Host and oh my lord am I in love. I was probably half way through the book when I began to understand what they meant when they said Edward ruined all men because none would ever compare. I want Ian! He was so flawed but so perfect. He was as human as a person can get. He wasn't overly emotional, but that didn't mean he couldn't express how he felt. He used his mind as well as his heart. He had the ability to open his mind to the possiability that he could be wrong and self confidence to admit that he was. He was compassionate, kind, strong, funny, smart, and amazingly hot. I know it may seem sad and even a little pathetic but I will probably compare every guy I ever meet to Ian. Ian is proof that you don't need to be inhuman to be extraordinary.
~Brella~
Member EDC, INC: Bulldozer Trainee
Edward prefers brunettes...Emmett likes blonds..but for Ian, the beauty of your soul is all that matters!
Skylar=My twin seperated at birth
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i think that the fact that Ian is flawed gives him more angles, you know. more side to explore. i was all set to love Jared but i feel for Ian completly. his humanity mkaes him a better character. and the fact that he was willing to give Wanda up so that she would stay around just made me love him more
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

Brella wrote:Ian is proof that you don't need to be inhuman to be extraordinary.
I couldn't have said it better myself!! He is perfect because he isn't perfect. Does that make sense?? :lol: I really started liking him the moment I realized that he had fallen in love with Wanda and had become her protector, as soon as he started taking care of her alot. He is just so caring no matter what, he really did love her for who she was- not what she looked like. One of my favorite lines though was when he said "I held you, and you were so beautiful." (When he put her into her new body) It almost made me cry!! Even though she is a different species he still loves her- that is the kind of love I want from a man!! He is also almost completely selfless...

Seriously Stephenie!! How can you come up with such perfect men?!?!?

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

kkswmmr114 wrote:
Brella wrote:Ian is proof that you don't need to be inhuman to be extraordinary.
I couldn't have said it better myself!! He is perfect because he isn't perfect. Does that make sense?? :lol: I really started liking him the moment I realized that he had fallen in love with Wanda and had become her protector, as soon as he started taking care of her alot. He is just so caring no matter what, he really did love her for who she was- not what she looked like. One of my favorite lines though was when he said "I held you, and you were so beautiful." (When he put her into her new body) It almost made me cry!! Even though she is a different species he still loves her- that is the kind of love I want from a man!! He is also almost completely selfless...

Seriously Stephenie!! How can you come up with such perfect men?!?!?

Ahh! I totally agree with you; you don't need to be immortal to be the perfect guy! Ian is the most awesome person on the face of this earth ( right behind Jacob Black, of course).

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"