Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
alellie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Jared and Wanda

Post by alellie »

I bet at the end of the book, there will still be some awkwardness between them. I'm also sure that Jared and Wanda, though they love their respected partners, will still have some leftover feelings inside them.

But, still, I never expected Ian to end up with Wanda, so I kinda expected the book to end in Jared/Wanda...boy was I wrong!
Vampirechick101/Alellie: PICAOS/ Zookeepers to Mr. Panda
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

Ok so I was fine with the Jared/Wanda relationship through most of the book because he only took care of her body for Melanie but came to see Wanda as a friend and Wanda knew she could never have Jared and she eventually saw Ian for the fantastic partner he is. But OMJR I really really really REALLY hated the part at the end when Jared kisses Wanda and tells her he loves her. This ruined the book for me a little. I mean, was he really just lying like she asked him to and his intensity only came from his gratitude that she was giving him Melanie back? I sincerely hope so. From his reactions it was pretty obvious he was never in objection to Wanda leaving Mel's body, so I would like to think he truly only loved Melanie the way Melanie only loved him.
Or even if he did love Wanda, I would like to think it was strictly in a caring-for-her-as-a-person way, not actually IN LOVE with her. And that the kiss was meant in an I'm-so-glad-you-were-the-soul-to-have-my-true-love's-body-so-I-have-the-hope-to-get-her-back kind of way and a thank you for everything she had done for them. I totally sympathize with Melanie so the thought of his declaration of love or kiss as anything more makes me cringe.

And I still wonder why he would look at Wanda with searching eyes after she's in a new body. Ugh. I hate it.
Image Image
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

Ugh. Doesn't Jared believe that Melanie is still in there?
He should. How could he hurt her, she looks the exact same as mel....
AH!!!!!
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
omjb_loveydove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Hiding in Taylor Lautner's bushes with my Skank Pack shirt on

Post by omjb_loveydove »

As much as I pictured Jared as absolutely SMEXY, I was very disappointed in this relationship! It was like he was trying to shun her to the side just to get to Mel in the wrongest way. I don't know how to describe how much he was using Wanda. I just didn't appreciate him using Wanda like that, is all.
Screw Jacob Black you say? Why yes. Yes I will. :twisted:
Proud member of the Skank Pack (Taylor's right pec is MINE) and Team Turtle
Dork Squad: The Gaming Guru :geek:
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

At first, I think Jared only cared about Wanda because he found that Mel was still in her mind. He kissed her to try to get a reaction, and didn't really care what it did to Wanda. Later on, after seeing some sense, he actually started caring about Wanda. I don't think there was ever anything romantic about their relationship for Jared, he was still seeing Mel, but he did start being friendly towards Wanda. Towards the end he was actually quite kind, but at the beginning he was horrible - he hit her and bashed her around. Overall their relationship ended well.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
dazzle_me-xx
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by dazzle_me-xx »

Amivera wrote:I, to be honest, found this relationship extremely disturbing. I hate to say the word 'abuse', but that's what pops into my head.

Wanda (not just Mel, but Wanda herself) chases after him, looking at him like he's the most amazing person in the world. She's almost worshipful to him, forgiving his flawing anger and his quick fists.
He punches her and slaps her and BEATS her and she forgives him, because she loves him.

It just really really disturbed me. I know he has a reason. I know she has a reason. I don't care. When you strip away the husk, the corn is still corn. (That was the worst analogy ever!)
:lol:
UGH!
I KNOW! I KNOW!
I mean, I eventually grew to like Jared and all but...
He hit her.
HE HITHER.
And.
Just.
What kind of person does that?

Kaxxandra
Settled in Forks

Post by Kaxxandra »

At the end, when Wanda was taking care of things in preparation for her "departure", saying her goodbyes, etc. I don't understand why Jared would kiss Wanda like that. He still loved Mel, but now he knew that this was Wanda & that Mel was still in there. He was saying his goodbye to Wanda as well, but kissing her like that?! Wasn't that cheating on Mel? And Mel just let Wanda have her moment with Jared? I don't get it.
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

dazzle_me-xx wrote:I mean, I eventually grew to like Jared and all but...
He hit her.
HE HITHER.
And.
Just.
What kind of person does that?
He hit her in the beginning because he just saw her as the monster that stole his girlfriend's mind/soul and took over her body. And at first he didn't believe Mel was still alive, he thought it was just a trick Wanda was using against them. Obviously he stopped hitting her when he realized Mel was really in there.
Honestly, if I were in the same situation where humans were being invaded against their will, and my loved one was taken away from me and I thought I lost him forever, and then I saw the thing that took over his body, I'd be really pissed too. I'd probably want to beat the crap out of them, and try to if I could. I wouldn't care what they said. So all of that stuff doesn't bother me about Jared.

What REALLY bothers me is that last kiss he gives Wanda!!! And how she says that even after he got Mel back, he would still look at Wanda with a searching look. Ugh. I hate that. It bothers me to no end that he'd do that to Mel. :x
Image Image