Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Are the aliens really "wrong"?

Post by Alphie »

Given that they pretty much cured every disease on earth and can live as peacefully as they do, are the aliens really very wrong?
XxMoonstonexX
Settled in Forks

Re: Are the aliens really "wrong"?

Post by XxMoonstonexX »

In a way, no. But on the other hand, yes.
They did make life better on Earth. Peace and health. But, it was only for themselves. The few remaining humans have almost nothing to live on. They had no way of getting medications and such. (I'm talking about before Wanderer.) Also, they took the lives of probably six billion humans.

Banner for my story, Lullaby
Wish.I.may
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Wish.I.may »

I'm gonna post what I posted a while back.
I don't think so.
They were doing what they had to for survival.
Look at what the humans were doing to try to get the souls out.
formally, Ostentatious6277
grbnte
Settled in Forks

Post by grbnte »

I have to agree with Wanda on this one. She sees the compassion and love that Doc and others have for other people and realizes that even if there is violence on Earth that there are many people who deserve the right to live their lives and be happy. Perhaps what she thought is true, that because humans have a violent side, that their love and devotion are even stronger as a result. Although the new meds and things would be great, as would a world without murders etc, but I think a world without any conflict (spats with friends etc) would be utterly boring! The other species the Souls took over didn't have the emotional spectrum the humans do and so their 'infection' wasn't quite like murder, as it is seen with the humans. Of course the plants did let their northern forest die so the Souls couldn't have it, so maybe that shows that its wrong anywhere.
BittenCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by BittenCullen »

No i dont think so.
They are a little freaky though... but they had to live on too and this was the only way they could survive. Plus, they didn't ruin anything big. They continued on in the host's lifestyle. :] though the olympics with them wouldnt be much fun. medals for everybody :]
"I may not be a human, but I am a man."
I Support TeamEdward. ONLY he can send my heart into a panic attack.
sean
Wandering Through Town

Post by sean »

I dont think that they were right to do this. In the book Wanda said that they had their own planet with their own hosts, then those "vulture" things came and were cruel to them, but they found out they could take them over as well. Anyways, they had their own planet with their own hosts, content. But they went to other planets to fulfill their desires to live a different life. All in all, they did not NEED to go to other planets and take over those planets intelligent creatures, they could of just left it at the vultures. But wanda also said that it was not the same, taking over creatures, on other planets as it was on earth. So I think that they should just leave earth because of all the emotions and such that humans have, hehe.
cidluen
Wandering Through Town

Post by cidluen »

Yes and no
Look, I'm as human as you can be, but sure as hell i'm not pro-humans we are the cancer of this planet, an evil species that destroys and does much more evil things in general than good deeds. Souls came and "fixed" this world
and I should be glad... except they took from earth's hosts the most important thing anyone possesses, which is free will, a private mind and body control. That's why I think they are not as good and benevolent as they seem. They come, take over and control and just because they make things go the way they should we have to forgive them? Nope, It's war. They are the Thought Police, the Universal Conquistadores :shock:
twilightluver27
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightluver27 »

I think they were wrong but they didn't have wrong intentions if that makes sense... They are almost as bad as the humans because they are basically killing humans so they can have somewhere to live when they already have their own planet. They had good intentions because they were right about humans being violent and we get in wars and kill each other. The other planets they took over however didn't have the kind of problems that they say humans did hence the reason they thought they were doing good by taking over humans. Wanda lived on 7 or 8 (I can't remember) other planets besides Earth and she never felt hate like she did when she was in Melanie's body which we can probably guess that the other planets were peaceful.
So overall I think the aliens were wrong to take over any of the planets when they had thier own they could occupy. They aren't any better than humans because they are taking the lives of other creatures.
ImageImage
ilovespaceheaters
Wandering Through Town

Post by ilovespaceheaters »

Oh. This is a confusing topic. I was thinking about this the whole time I read the book.

I think for them it was the right thing to do. But then who is to gain? The souls already have peace and serenity on other worlds. Was it really necessary to wipe out the whole human race?

I think the souls are oblivious to the fact that in creating a better world they destroyed one. A little hypocritical.

"Go fetch a space heater."

[22.8.08] Best day of my life.

ManSpice
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

They had good intentions but I think they took it a little too far. They said souls were friendly and they were terrified of humans. but I think they were worse than humans, well Wanda's seeker anyways...
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.