Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
his_bella
Settled in Forks

Re: The Ending?

Post by his_bella »

Am i the only person who saw it coming...?
When there was the epilogue i figured it must have been that, as well as the fact that stephenie meyer seems incapable of an unhappy ending..
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Did you see this ending coming or were you expecting something else?
I knew that SM would have some way to make the ending satisfying. I figured that Wanda would just need another body and everything would be fine. But then as the end of the story progressed and Wanda was more and more convinced that it could never work, I got worried. I couldn't believe that Wanda would just cease to exist.
And I felt so badly for Ian! It almost looked like they were going to hook him up with Lily eventually there before Wanda snuck off to Doc. I wanted a happy ending for him soooo badly. I really "fell" for that character. So differently than Edward. Ian is everything that a man should be. Edward is everything that a single man could never be. Ian COULDN'T be left alone and sad.
I didn't get at first what Pet's perspective was. It confused me. I was so happy that Melanie fixed a happy ending for everyone.

And how do you feel about Wanda in a new body?
I loved it. I was trying to figure out whose body she would get. Each "alienated" character brought into the group I wondered at. But none seemed like they would have worked for her.
I was worried about the new body not responding/loving Ian like he deserved.
I love that Melanie, Jamie, and Jerad took such pains in finding a new body for Wanda. That she was young enough to not be likely to have the human consciousness still there, that she was young enough that she was unlikely to have formed a love attachment with someone male, that Jamie made sure that she was pretty. And Jerad made sure that she was incomspicuous since he knew that Wanda would be likely to want to help by going on raids again. It was wonderful that they were careful to make sure that there wasn't someone who would wake up to claim the body.

Despite Wanda's frustrations at her new body's weaknesses, I think it fit her personality.

How does it change the way you think Ian and Wanda will work as a couple?
Ian already was protective and considerate of her. It may be more so than before, but that won't change much.
But of course it will. Wanda can now love Ian with her mind and her body. No real division anymore that would hurt them both.

How about Jared and Mel?
Well, Jared and Mel both changed while she was gone. They will have a little adusting to get used to each other, but not much. Their relationship and passion for each other is just too strong for that.

I think that amongst that love quadrangle there will always be a little residual of feeling from all that they went through together but it will just mellow over time into strong friendship attachment.

Or the rest of the people, for that matter, working with an alien?
Throughout the book, you see the change that Wanda made on her human family. How this alien character returned their humanity to them. Its such a nice story. :)
Team Edward
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

i love the story but hate the ending i hope she )SM) comes out with a sequel!! though she probs wont cause she ended it with us nowing all thathumanity would be restored blahhh blahh blaahh!! i want to no if any one has babies... or if aliens and humans like wanda and ian can have babies...
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
♥True♥Love♥
Settled in Forks

Post by ♥True♥Love♥ »

I really liked The Host and i was happy with the ending. It was definately a surprise to find out that there were more humans and that there was another "alien" that had "gone native", it was very unexpected. I was worried that Ian would never see Wanda again,i felt so bad for him when he found out what she was planning on doing. I was so happy when they were reunited. I am very happy for Mel and Jared, they can finally be together, just the two of them. I can understand that Melanie must have felt extremely trapped and it must have been such a relief to be able to "be herself". I know Melanie and Wanda became very attached, but she still must have felt very happy. :mrgreen:
You are my life now.

-Edward Cullen ♥
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

DunnerheartsTwilight wrote:i love the story but hate the ending i hope she )SM) comes out with a sequel!! though she probs wont cause she ended it with us nowing all thathumanity would be restored blahhh blahh blaahh!! i want to no if any one has babies... or if aliens and humans like wanda and ian can have babies...
I'm sure that Wanda and Ian could have children. Her body is human as is his.
And if you remember, there was that scene on the raid where Wanda is looking through the window of the hotel and saw the soul couple with a human child. So when the souls are in a human body, it apparently doesn't change the ability to reproduce.
I bet their children would be lovely. :D
Team Edward
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

I was definitely suprised by the ending, but I did like it how everyone got their happy endings, especially Wanda and Mel. :)
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

I was definitely suprised by the ending, but I did like it how everyone got their happy endings, especially Wanda and Mel. :)
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I really wasn't expecting Wanda to die. I knew that she was going to live and get another body. The ending though, it just felt like there needs to be more. So I really hope that SM writes those sequels!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
NZTwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by NZTwilighter »

I really liked this ending :D

Even though i knew they would find a new body for Wanda it didnt stop me from bawling my eyes out when she started having suicide thoughts :cry:

I also thought is was really quirky how when helping Jamie find a new body for Wanda that Jared made sure she was youngish. im pretty sure he had alturnative motives for doing this!
If you remeber back to one of Mels flash backs in the cabin Jared wouldnt go very far with her because of her age, i think he was hoping Ian would also react this wasy to Wandas new age. Because Jared was in love with Wanda (not as much as Mel but the feelings were still there) and he wanted more time to adjust to the new situation without having to see Wanda and Ian making out (which would have bought out those jealous feelings :mrgreen: )!!!
What does everyone think?

I think Wandas new body suited her well, Jamie did an awsome job, yes she is not as strong before but she'll build up her new body strength. Wanda is a very kind and timid soul (forgive the pun) but she is also very strong and determind to stick to her beliefs.

I knew there had to be other bands of humans out there but the other 'soul gone native' was a really good twist from Steph!!! If there are any sequels they will definatetly be very interesting!!! :D
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

DunnerheartsTwilight wrote:i love the story but hate the ending i hope she )SM) comes out with a sequel!! though she probs wont cause she ended it with us nowing all thathumanity would be restored blahhh blahh blaahh!! i want to no if any one has babies... or if aliens and humans like wanda and ian can have babies...
Wanda's an alien possessing a human. So anything the human can do, she can do. The only way they wouldn't be able to have kids is if one of their bodies was cursed with infertility.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.