Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
wanda
Settled in Forks

Re: The Host -- Q&A

Post by wanda »

*Wanderer* wrote:But if there is a sequel, I don't think that everything would be ruined. I mean, if it was written by Stephenie, it would still be perfect. How could Stephenie write something not-perfect?
I'm not so sure about that. everyone here is going to kill me, but Breaking Dawn definitly wasn't my favorite book, just because of Renesme. she kind of destroyed it for me. I like the series, pretty much, up until then. then again, Bella annoyed me a lot sometimes too. except in the first book....but this thread is about The Host, not Twilight.

but I totally know what you mean by saying that The Host was fine without a sequel, it makes you think about what could happen, but there doesn't need to be anything else written to describe it. it's just all for you to ponder about...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Does anyone know if in the Host the humans in the caves still get married?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I don't see what the point would be. I don't see a point to marriage in general, really because if you're going to be with someone then be with them. Why do you need a paper from the state saying that you're going to be together? It all seems very silly to me and it also makes it a lot harder (and much more expensive) to break up when you find someone new (something that's not likely to happen in the caves anyway).
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

i am sure the people in the caves would hold their own ceremony if someone wanted to get married. maybe doc would play preacher lol

as for the whole idea of marrige...i dont think its so you have a piece of paper to say your married..i think its to get to the next level of commitment. and if you get married then you shouldnt be looking for someone "new"...when you get married its saying i have found my one and only and there isnt gonna be any one "new"
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

deven wrote: as for the whole idea of marrige...i dont think its so you have a piece of paper to say your married..i think its to get to the next level of commitment. and if you get married then you shouldnt be looking for someone "new"...when you get married its saying i have found my one and only and there isnt gonna be any one "new"
People shouldn't need to be married before they decide to reach the next level of commitment. What's the point? If you wanna be with someone, be with them. If you don't, then leave. It's going to happen that way whether there is a ceremony or not so I don't see a point in spending the money and making a fuss.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

they would hold a ceremony in the caves or something. :D
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
wanda
Settled in Forks

Post by wanda »

I think they would have their own kind of ceremony, even though it wouldn't be officially official, it would be for them.

as for the idea of marriage. I think that if you want to be with them, then yes you should be with them. but if you think you want to have and show a bigger commitment that just being with them, you get married. it kind of proves your love, even though you shouldn't have to do that just to show your love. yeah, you could say that there are a lot of people who aren't married that are in love and both know it and have kids, but that's just how those people choose to do it. you don't have to be married to show your love. but I think that people who are married like that because it officially shows they're in love and they plan to love eachother forever.
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

I'm not sure how they'd do it in the caves... Marriage itself is just a legal process (if we're being crude) and they are outlaws. It might be as simple as moving into someone's room. Which could explain all the fuss about the rooms anyway...

And Black. There are a lot of legal upsides to being married as oppose to just living together. I can't know for sure what they are where you live, but here they are extensive, though common-law-marriages are very common here, and there are a few laws protecting them as well.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
slightlyobsessed
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: Joining a 15-Step Program for those who make unseemly comments on Rob Pattinson's Thread...

Post by slightlyobsessed »

Okay, two new questions for the thread:

1)If Wanderer had been unable to leave Mel's body, would she have stayed with Jared?

2) Near the end of her time shared with Wanderer, Mel was often quiet and it took a lot for her to say anything to Wanderer. So, again, if Wanderer had been unable to leave Mel's body, would Mel have disappeared eventually?
ImageImage
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER LEGAL REPRESENTATION
APPC: Shopaholic
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

slightlyobsessed wrote:Okay, two new questions for the thread:

1)If Wanderer had been unable to leave Mel's body, would she have stayed with Jared?

2) Near the end of her time shared with Wanderer, Mel was often quiet and it took a lot for her to say anything to Wanderer. So, again, if Wanderer had been unable to leave Mel's body, would Mel have disappeared eventually?
Hm, I guess these are questions that only Stephenie can answer, but I'm gonna take a shot at 'em:

1)That's a hard one. Technically, she wouldn't really "stay" with Jared, because Jared really didn't want Wanderer in that way. He wanted Melanie. But I guess Wanderer would just stay "yearning" for Jared with her body, and yearning for Ian with her soul. It would kinda be impossible to choose for her to choose. Did I make any sense at all? But that's just my guess. Anyone can feel free to disagree.

2)My prediction is... yes, unfortunately. It was getting harder and harder for Melanie to make that connection. She was slowly getting weaker.... But again, feel free to disagree.

*Wanderer*