Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

The Host -- Q&A

Post by Nena »

Use this thread for any questions that you would like to discuss with others. Post away!
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Re: The Host -- Q&A

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

first post....
ok i loved the host... almost as much as twilight... i want to know if you guys think that it is really slow starting off.. cause i do...
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

DunnerheartsTwilight wrote:first post....
ok i loved the host... almost as much as twilight... i want to know if you guys think that it is really slow starting off.. cause i do...
I thought it was a little slow compared to the action you get later, yes, but I think it's necessary. Because without the slow, detailed beginning, I would have been totally lost later on! I need the background and the chance to understand the characters and the world around them before the plot develops faster.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

ya now that i think about it i taotally agree...
i wish she would have gone on farther with it but there want much else to right was their??....
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

For me, the slow start totally added up.
It really made me feel that Wanderer was as confused about this world (and the person in her head) as I was.
What I wonder, do any of you find references to other books in the host?
'Cos I just reread Eragon, and found quite a few things that are similar between it and TW/NM, as surroundings and descriptions. Not saying this was intentional, I just noticed it since I parallel read the books.
I have read a lot of sci-fi, just not recently, but could not see anything I had read before.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

Yeah!! I requested this thread!! :D
Wingtear wrote:For me, the slow start totally added up.
It really made me feel that Wanderer was as confused about this world (and the person in her head) as I was.
What I wonder, do any of you find references to other books in the host?
'Cos I just reread Eragon, and found quite a few things that are similar between it and TW/NM, as surroundings and descriptions. Not saying this was intentional, I just noticed it since I parallel read the books.
I have read a lot of sci-fi, just not recently, but could not see anything I had read before.
I also felt that the slow start added up. I really think it built to Wanderer's character. (And Melanie's.)

For your question: Well, I was watching the movie "The Invasion" the other night, and it totally reminded me of "The Host." I'm not sure if The Invasion or The Host came first, but the ideas were kind of parallel and the same. In The Invasion, these aliens come to earth and take over the bodies of humans, trying to turn the whole world like them. In The Invasion, it really makes you think about what it means to be human. And there's this whole thing about the aliens killing us and taking our bodies, but yet, the aliens are living in peace among themselves. With no crime or violence toward eachother. The Host much???

That's one example of different references in The Host that I found. I'm curious, what did you find in Eragon that reminded you of Twilight?
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovvetwilight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by lovvetwilight »

It reminded me of Twilight, too. The desert made me think of Bella, and such.

I found parallels between characters (as I know quite a few other people have as well):
Bella : Wanderer (though personally, I like Wanderer MUCH more)
Jared : Jacob
Ian : Edward

But I didn't really see any more similarities...anyone else?
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4356617/1/Bad_Girl_Bella << please press

Team Edward Team Ian
RiseFromAshes
Settled in Forks
Location: Buried under 2 feet of snow and frozen to the ground

Post by RiseFromAshes »

I noticed how similar they are too, but some of the things are totally different, is it just me or did it seem like there was a LOT more...how do I put this? Violence, kinda?

Anyways I loved it. Is there going to be a sequel?
Image Is it weird that I'm Team Edward AND Team Taylor?
Team Ian O'Shea You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me.
waiting tobe dazzled
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by waiting tobe dazzled »

Sequel wise…
I’ve heard two answers.
The first being that she has already decided to write two sequels and has named them The Soul and The Seeker.
The second being that she is contemplating writing sequels that will be called The Soul and The Seeker…contemplating because it said she was waiting on the characters to speak to her.

There was defiantly more violence in this book.
It’s odd, a story about a girl going into the mystical world of monsters and the violence is minimal (well the violence that she goes into description to describe is minimal) but a story about an alien coming into the human world and she gets attacked every other day.
Well I found it a little ironic…but that may just be me.

Comparison wise…Carlisle and Doc. More then just the fact that they are doctors. When describing their patience and compassion, SM made them sound very similar.
Field Supervisor of EDC, Inc.
Team Edward-Knight in Shining Volvo
Team Rosalie-Every Rose has it's thorn
Cotton Candy Revolutionists~Jell-O Wars of 09’
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

im probably the only person who thinks this since reading what everyone else just said but...

i didnt think the beginning started off slow at all...hmm..idk..but i got into it right away..like as soon as the seeker started to follow her...the host is my favorite book besides harry potter! i loved it more than Twilight. so iyeah i got into it from the beginning!!!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict