Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

The Host Movie

Post by Pel »

This is what we know via Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1

Producers Nick Wechsler, Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz have used their own money to acquire screen rights to "The Host," the first adult novel written by Stephenie Meyer, author of the "Twilight" series.

Andrew Niccol will write the script and direct.

Meyer's novel is a love story set in the near future on Earth, which has been assimilated by an alien species of benevolent parasites that call themselves "Souls." One such soul, the Wanderer, is fused with a dying human named Melanie Stryder, in an attempt to locate the last pocket of surviving humans on Earth.

Wechsler and the Schwartzes are separately teamed on "The Road," the John Hillcoat-directed adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel that will be released Nov. 25 by the Weinstein Co. They are also producing the Paul Schrader-scripted "The Dying of the Light" and an adaptation of Pete Takada book "An Eye at the Top of the World," which Ryne Douglas Pearson is adapting.

In addition to writing four volumes of the "Twilight" series, Meyer has been heavily involved in the screen transfers, and she spurned several overtures for "The Host." The producers continued lobbying the author and her UTA reps with a significant offer, a strong vision for the project and a collaborative spirit. Meyer eventually said yes.

In fact, Niccol first came under consideration after Wechsler and the Schwartzes asked Meyer what her favorite science fiction films are. "Gattaca" and "The Truman Show" were in her top five; Niccol wrote and directed "Gattaca" and scripted the Peter Weir-directed "The Truman Show."

Niccol most recently wrote and directed Orlando Bloom starrer "The Cross."

"We wanted Stephenie to be involved in the adaptation and have her endorse and be part of the creative decisions," Wechsler said. "Twilight" has "proven she knows more about what works than most."

Summit releases the second adaptation of Meyers' vampire series, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," on Nov. 20.

Niccol is repped by CAA.
CopperHead
Learning to Love Green

Re: The Host Movie

Post by CopperHead »

This has the potential to be a fantastic grown-up movie, especially with some as highly acclaimed as Andrew Niccol(I imagine he is if he penned "The Truman Show").
Check out more of my fanart here!
Team Demetri - because it's useless to run...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

So I'm anxious whenever a book I like gets made into a movie, and the Host will be no exception.
But it's comforting to see that not only will very talented people be working on the movie, but also that Stephenie will be involved.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
twilight.geek
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilight.geek »

I hope that the movie is good. I love The Host. I can't wait! :D
All you need is a steak and a fishing pole and you can catch your own werewolf! Man, I wish that was true.
TEAM WEREWOLVES! I run with werewolves.
Team Ian!
Team Peeta!
kiki
Settled in Forks

Post by kiki »

It's exciting to read that "The Host" may be made into a movie! It's one of my favorite books -- after the Twilight Saga, of course. I'm not familiar with Andrew Niccol but if Stephenie's satisfied, so am I! The only thing I'm worried about: if Stephenie is as involved with this new movie project (as she should be!) will she have any time to write any more books!!!
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this announcement on Stephenie Meyer's website.

Give me some news of a sequel release and I just might die, haha.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
StacieElizabeth
Settled in Forks

Post by StacieElizabeth »

I was really excited when i saw this announcement but im worried too but i think the movie will be in capable hands :)
TIME PASSES, EVEN WHEN IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

Post by Oh-Marvelous-Things »

I am so excited and scared they will mess it up but still excited. Did I mention I'm excited?
I do have this... weird illogical fear, though. I worry that the fanbase will blow up and it will become a huge blockbuster like Twilight has, and that... that it won't be the same, as a fandom. It'll go from small, intimate and intellectual to... popular. Isn't that so silly of me? Because, of course it will be the same book, with the same characters, and the same amazing plot and emotions. And I want it to do well. I'm glad Twilight did, because I love being able to share my interest in it with so many new people now. I am just scared that things will be so entirely different when the movie gets made.

You know what I mean?
For the latest news on The Host movie, novel, and sequels, visit...
TheHostFan.com
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Oh-Marvelous-Things wrote:I am so excited and scared they will mess it up but still excited. Did I mention I'm excited?
I do have this... weird illogical fear, though. I worry that the fanbase will blow up and it will become a huge blockbuster like Twilight has, and that... that it won't be the same, as a fandom. It'll go from small, intimate and intellectual to... popular. Isn't that so silly of me? Because, of course it will be the same book, with the same characters, and the same amazing plot and emotions. And I want it to do well. I'm glad Twilight did, because I love being able to share my interest in it with so many new people now. I am just scared that things will be so entirely different when the movie gets made.

You know what I mean?
Perfectly.
I feel the same way. It's wonderful to have a book you love recognized for its amazingness, but at the same time when 12-year-old girls really only care because of the actors, it's sickening to be honest. But since the Host is an adult book, and quite frankly I don't think that an average teeny-bopper 12-year-old would be able to digest it and like it, I think that the movie and book will be taken much more seriously and appreciated.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
twilight.geek
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilight.geek »

Oh-Marvelous-Things wrote:I am so excited and scared they will mess it up but still excited. Did I mention I'm excited?

You know what I mean?
I know what you mean. I read Twilight the first year that it came out and it was cool that other people liked it too because I had people to talk about Twilight with. But when it became a movie "fans" started running around saying Oh My Edward! Edward is sooooooo hot. I love the books...I like read like Twilight and it was amazing and I just love the author oh...what's her name....And I just get so mad. I don't know why....
So I really hope that doesn't happen to The Host because I love The Host and I want to talk to fans of the book and not fans of the movie. But I could just be crazy... :D
All you need is a steak and a fishing pole and you can catch your own werewolf! Man, I wish that was true.
TEAM WEREWOLVES! I run with werewolves.
Team Ian!
Team Peeta!