Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: The Host Movie

Post by Openhome »

Actually, to comment on both your points, we do enjoy intelligent discussion of the books on several of the threads here. I know that many of the threads can and do come across as over the top, but most of the posters here are where you are, although we still love the books and the world they created for us, we have moved on. We even discuss those other books here as well. We are here because we loved what the books did for us, and we love the people here.

We do not have a thread for "I Hate Twilight" or anything like that because that would cause much more drama than any of the mods want to deal with. ;) However, I would encourage you both to come and talk on some of the serious discussion threads in the various forums. If you come in with good questions, we will almost always discuss them with you. Look for them in the Quench Your Thirst forum under the names of Explorations, or General Philosophical Musings. We even have a few discussions going on the the Bree forum under Explorations and Discrepancies. You are not the only ones who feel that way, trust me.

The reason we are careful about "haters" as you call them is that we have had so many horrid run-ins with them. Not fans who still enjoy what the books did for them, but have moved on, but true haters who have tried to hack the Lex and have sent vicious and maligning pms to the admins of the Lex. We are leery of true haters, but honest discussion is always welcome on the right threads.

Please don't feel like you need to hide the fact that you once loved Twilight but are getting sick of the hype. So are the rest of us. It is a beautiful series that benefited my life in wonderful ways. But I am reading other books and doing other things that I love just as much. I play here because I like it, and because I will always love the books for what they gave me.

Feel free to pm me at any time!!
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

And I guess this is the end of the discussion :lol:

I agree with Kayla about the moving on and being here becasue we love the saga and love the people here... and I'll shut up now :lol:

Back to the host:

I want to know who is casted as Ian already! He has to be perfect! I don't want another case of Rob here -sigh*
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Actually, I didn't mean for you to end your discussion necessarily, though this is a Host thread. I simply wanted to let you know that you can talk about this openly on some of the threads here. I also wanted you to know you weren't alone.

As for Ian, Amen sistah! Ian needs to be cast perfectly or I am going to really be ticked!
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

haha I know there are other threads... The convo started from my complaint about the release year of The Host :lol:

haha Kayla! Glad you agree! I'm like obsessed with Ian! My perfect iPod is named after him :lol: and my cell is named after mel :lol:
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Ah, well I'll have to check out the General Philosophical Musings thread. I'm always up for a good philosophy discussion!

As for casting, I just hope we don't have another Twilight incident with absolutely awful actors. I'll be excited to hear what they come up with, however!
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Me too but I'm too lazy to start one :lol:

Agreed!!!! but I get it cuz Twilight was a really low budget movie and they coudn't afford famous ones... but most of them are good and they keep getting better.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Well, someone can still be a good actor/actress without being famous. I'm sure there are tons of unknowns who could have done the role better than the people they got. However, I would agree that they do continue to get better as the movies progress but the three lead roles are awful. Jake's anger is so clearly forced, Bella has the same look on her face throughout the whole movie and shows no emotion, and then Edward just looks constipated the whole time. I don't feel like I'm watching characters in a story, I feel as though I am watching actors trying to play roles they can't perform.

With that being said, I would just really love to see quality actors and actresses for The Host, whether they be famous or unknowns (or somewhere in between).
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

I really don't care about the famous part but you know what I mean/ If you heard that Nicholas Cage was playing Edward and Meril Strip played Bella you'd say- that is probably a good movie. (the first actors and I thought about :lol:)
haha I knowwwwwwww! KStew has no expression, Rob is horrible and Taylor has potential and can be good but his angry face is so aweful. I watched it yesterday and I was like: THIS is angry Jacob? :lol:

AGREE!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Well the movie is slowly getting there. Variety reports it now has a director!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Post by Melody »

Im actually really excited for this film to come out! I now wish that i had read Twilight before i saw the movie (crazy, but i hadn't ever heard of Twilight until i watched the movie about 6 months after the release.... :o shocking i know :lol: ) because you can get a much better feel for the characters from reading the book first. I always feel let down when i see the movie adaptions of my favourite books :/ One being Alice in Wonderland. Great cast and the effects were awesome, but they just weren't "My" Alice or "My" Hatter if you get me :lol: I felt the same about Bella after i read the book. There is no expression (apart from slightly confused ) on Kristens' face! She just looks like a moody teenager - which is not what Bella is about.
Anyway, I digress :) I really hope that they get the casting right with this film. It would be such a shame if they messed this up :/ I heard that Saiorse Rohan (sorry if the spelling is wrong!) will be playing Melanie! I love her. She was excellent in "The Lovely Bones". And i love the fact that she is Irish too! :D :P
What do you guys think about her being cast?

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"