Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

My Host Playlist

Post by December »

Do you have a personal playlist for The Host? Discuss it here.

No long listings of lyrics please. If you want to link them fine, or better yet link to the song on Youtube so we can listen to it.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
copper curls
Welcoming Newbies with Cheers and Emmett-hugs

Re: My Host Playlist

Post by copper curls »

So glad this thread is finally up!
Big thank-you’s to our lovely mods! :D

Alright, so I don’t have an entire playlist, so much as songs that I think go with either the storyline or a particular character, event, etc.
I know December said No long listings of lyrics, but I’ll try to make it short… it’s just that I would like to explain my choices. I will also link to YouTube for everyone.
The most obvious choice, of course, is “Soul Meets Body,” by Death Cab For Cutie. Find the video with lyrics Here (lyrics in the description box).
Soul Meets Body I said was an “obvious choice,” but I don’t mean just because of the obvious connection of body soul being two distinct and separate things, but also because of the idea conveyed of learning to live together, in harmony. “I want to live where soul meets body,” where souls and bodies (humans) are not in any sort of conflict, where they coexist. Other lines remind me of various points in the storyline: “And I cannot guess what we’ll discover/ When we turn the dirt with our palms cupped like shovels/ But I know our filthy hands can wash one another’s/ And not one speck will remain,” is when Mel and Wanda are in the desert together, dying, and they really come to accept each other. We see this primarily in the plural speech, and I think this is mirrored by “our palms,” etc.
also, “Release Me,” by Agnes (video with lyrics Here), and “Misery Business,” by Paramore (video with lyrics Here).

I always think of "Release Me" as being from Wanda's point of view, although at first it seems like it would be mainly aimed at Melanie. “Release me/ release my body…” but that continues: “I know it’s wrong / so why am I with you now / I say release me/ ‘cause I’m not able to/ convince myself/ that I’m better off without you,” this makes me think of Wanda’s situation with Jared, and the way that she cannot help but feel a very physical love for him, and she cannot control or ignore it.

“Misery Business” I think of as being from Mel’s p.o.v., the way that she feels when Jared kisses Wanda, the way that Mel waited until she could escape to find Jared and Jamie, and then is unable to communicate to Jared that she still loves him. “When I thought he was mine she caught him by the mouth/ I waited eight long months/ she finally set him free…”

hhhhmmmm… I know I have a whole list, I just can’t think of any right now.
So I guess that’s it. anyone else?

~ Kat
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV