Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Alphie »

Since Stephenie has made it publicly available to discuss at her website, I feel it's only fair to open up the discussion here as well. This thread is not here for us to discuss how wrong this whole situation is, because I hope that everyone here realizes how wrong this was. Nor should we talk about whether she will ever finish the book. This thread is only here to talk about what you liked, what was unexpected, favorite lines, and just general comments on the first 12 chapters.

If you are one of the few who haven't seen the chapters yet, Stephenie posted them on her website. You can find them in a pdf file here:

http://stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnights ... ldraft.pdf
niko
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by niko »

I'm going to read it.... RIGHT NOW.

I wish I could have it in book form. :(
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

I know. Believe me, I know. But let's keep the anger off the boards and try to stick to discussing what is in the 12 chapters and not how we got them.

Oh... and thank you for editing your post!

I'll set the example.

One of my favorite things to see in this is exactly how Edward's telepathy works. If any of you have read my fan fic The Lion and the Lamb you can see that I always assumed he heard thoughts that didn't match up to the exact words that came out of people's mouths. But in this we see that he really does "hear" it word for word. So he knows exactly what Bella says to someone because he can hear that someone's thoughts even if he can't hear Bella's.

Also, I love how Alice and Edward communicate. Living with them has to be a NIGHTMARE because of how quickly they can pass thoughts between each other. Crazy insane!

And then this is a bit sick and twisted of me, but I get a real kick out of how vicious Edward's thoughts are toward Mike Newton. It makes me chuckle darkly when ever he thinks about murdering Mike. Sick, I know, but at least I'm being honest.
NovaAlbion
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by NovaAlbion »

I can't believe the sorrow I felt when Stephenie Meyer said that she might not be able to finish Midnight Sun. Gak. At the very best, it will be delayed.

Since she hasn't committed to writing (for publication) any other Twilight Saga stories, it may mean that Breaking Dawn is the last we'll see. Does that person realize what they have cost us all, cost themselves?

I will read it. I will bear in mind that it is rough and unedited and subject to change. I am so bummed. I didn't want it to happen this way.

My heart goes out to Stephenie and all the fans.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." Sue Kidd Monk, The Secret Life of Bees, Chapter 6

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

I think it is going to take me a little while to read it. i don't know im just not ready to. i am still really upset i was crying when i read steph's post. so i am just going to wait a while.

It sounds really interesting Alphie. Lol don't worry when i read it i will probably be the same way about the mike thing lol.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
crossiii
Settled in Forks

Post by crossiii »

I agree. I was so very sad when i read her post, I was in disbelief. I was quite disappointed, I think that it adds a much deeper understanding to the twilight saga.

Reading the 12 chapters really helped me to understand edwards passion for bella. i now understand why it was so necessary for him to leave in new moon, whereas before I couldn't see the logic as clearly.

I also love how you can see edward's progression in becoming more human in his emotions :)

i must say my favorite aspect of it is the way alice loves bella just from seeing her visions of them being best friends.

oh, and yes, I would agree that edwards aggression toward mike newton is entertaining to put it lightly ;)
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

NovaAlbion wrote:I can't believe the sorrow I felt when Stephenie Meyer said that she might not be able to finish Midnight Sun. Gak. At the very best, it will be delayed.

Since she hasn't committed to writing (for publication) any other Twilight Saga stories, it may mean that Breaking Dawn is the last we'll see. Does that person realize what they have cost us all, cost themselves?

I will read it. I will bear in mind that it is rough and unedited and subject to change. I am so bummed. I didn't want it to happen this way.

My heart goes out to Stephenie and all the fans.
I agree completely with you. It's so horrible that someone could do that to Stephenie. I can't imagine how she feels right now.

In a way, though, it was a relief to read Midnight Sun. I finally understood what Edward was thinking and finally got to see how he perceived Bella. What I thought was really interesting was how Edward can only partly read Charlie's mind. I didn't know Bella's shield was genetic.

Also, it surprised me how quickly Edward fell in love with Bella. I always thought it was a lot more gradual. And it was really great to finally be able to see into the minds of the other characters. Just reading Midnight Sun made me fall in love with Edward all over again, and I really want to thank SM for being such an amazing author, especially to us fans. She's always been so great to us fans and I'm so grateful for that. :)
vegasn8ive
Learning to Love Green

Post by vegasn8ive »

I posted about this in the "What's SM working on" thread. I'm saddened by this news. I guess I feel like I don't really want to read this now. It's only out because her hands are tied and she decided to take the high road and put it out there herself. I guess if she really doesn't publish it anytime soon, I'll have to read it. That may be the only way I ever get to read MS. :cry:
eizel
Learning to Love Green

Post by eizel »

whoever leaked this.. i dont now what to say? im mad but yet im happy.. :?

i think the draft is really good.. but Stephenie put it on hold indefinitely which is really sad :cry: i really really hope she finish and publish the book because i love being in Edward's head for the first time. so stephenie please please finish the book... :(
ImageImage
Credit to http://kawaii-inc.org/ for my sad cute avatar.
im just sad Stephenie Meyer put Midnight sun on hold indefinitely
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

I'm going to respect Alphie's note about not commenting this situation.....all I can say is that I really hope the book gets published whenever Stephenie wants!
Stephenie wrote on her site that she wishes her fans don't read those 12 chapters, because the material is unedited, and not in a way she wanted it to be presented to her fans.....I don't know yet whether to read it or not?