The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

The Third Table

Post by December »

With so many adults on the Lex nowadays, it seems like they could use some extra seating. So welcome to the Third Table. Another thread for ADULT off-topic (and also on-topic) conversation. This is a thread for grownups who enjoy talking to other grownups. You know if that’s you. If it isn’t, please leave the adults to their thread.

And everyone, please read the thread introduction, purpose and rules below as laid out by Ouisa.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Re: The Third Table

Post by Ouisa »

Welcome to the Third Table, an alternative hangout for the adults on the lexicon. A thread for adult conversations and discussion that falls somewhere in the middle of the two other adult threads.

This thread is a place for like-minded adult friends to gather and discuss a variety of topics from both real life and our fictional obsessions. We won't be as racy as the gutter, although from time to time we will probably dip our toes into some "dirty" waters and we don't intend to be as chaste Heavenly Hash either, although plan on some deep discussions about The Twilight Series or other topics. This thread will something else all together, something that mixed and blended the from the other two threads. In fact blending is a good term for what will be going on here because this is a thread for people who love Jake (sigh) and people who loved Edward or people who love something else entirely come together and to talk about it.
We imagine it kinda like the family dinner table.

Come and tell us about your day and your twilightpated moments. Come and tell us what you are thinking about the things you learned in your other books today. Come and share your thoughts and ideas about these amazing stories your friend Stephenie told you. Come and be family.

Now what's a family without a few little rules am I right? As adults and veteran lexers, you probably know all of this but new people are always joining in We do want everyone to play nice and have fun. We all need reminders about the rules from time to time.

So here goes:

This is an adult thread. What makes an adult is something that is quite hard to define given the diversity of cultures and people here on the lexicon. The more I'm around people the more I find that the number of years we are on the planet has nothing to do with how we think and act. This thread is for people that want to discuss mature topics in a mature way regardless of what year they were born. Your age is not the most important factor, but rather your desire for mature and enjoyable discussions!!

Although this is a discussion thread, it is important to remember that the lexicon forums are not a chat room or an IM feature. Because it is not a chat but a discussion posts need to be of some length and relate to the topic. One line posts, especially just saying LOL or something similar takes up a lot of room and is hard for people to wade through when they have many pages to catch up on. Be respectful to the fact that many of us have busy lives and don't want to wade through nonsense.

All I ask for a little mindfulness in the subjects and content of your posts. Consider if it is something for the whole group, or something that belongs in a PM. We want to share things about our lives, but not EVERYTHING about our lives. Pick the significant stuff to share. It's not necessary to post just to say good morning, goodnight or to "keep the thread alive." You can certainly say good morning at the top of your first post of the day, but don't make it the only thing you say. As for keeping the thread alive, it's not going anywhere. It will still be here long after all of us have moved on to newer things.

The quote feature is neat and helpful but can also make posts over long. Quoting, especially when there are pictures are included takes up TONS of room on the lex and make it hard for all of us. When quoting, delete out the parts of the quote that aren't necessary to your response. It's quick and easy!

When posting, you don't need a new post for each separate thought. Instead combine several replies or thoughts into one post. If you think of something you want to add after you've posted, edit your post or wait until someone else has posted. This avoids double posting.

So ladies and gentleman, come pull up a chair at our table. Grab a nice drink, perhaps a warm one, perhaps a cold one, perhaps a 100 year old virgin one. Would you like a soft seat with a spaceheater? Or are the granite chairs just your style? Or do you feel the need to do a little housework instead? There are some feather dusters and some sudsy water right over there.

Anyway please relax and tell us what's on your mind.
Last edited by Ouisa on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

One of the greatest gifts of this very Twilightpated Summer has been the unique insights into Stephenie's characters that we gained through Book Two of Breaking Dawn and through the little glimpse Stephenie gave us of Midnight Sun. I adore Bella, but it was delightful to read the point of view of some other characters!

As a long standing Jake lover I enjoyed seeing the Edward girls understand and in some cases come to love Jake by reading his fabulous snarky thoughts. And as someone who has never understood a single thing dear Edward does, it was extraordinary to read his thoughts in Midnight Sun. I feel like I finally understand him! Of course our glimpse into MS was too short and it may never be extended.

Which brings me to our first topic.

Of the four books in the Twilight Saga, what scene would you like to read from Edward's perspective? And of course tell us why!

From a true indulgent perspective I would like to read the scene where Alice has dressed Bella up for the prom. Bella complains about the shoe being a death trap and Edward replies in what I think is one of the sexiest lines in the whole series

He stared at my leg longer than was necessary. "Remind me to thank Alice for that tonight."

I have always wanted to know what dirty little thoughts Mr. Prudey Pants was having while staring at those stilettos with Bella's legs wrapped in ribbons.

On a more serious note I would like to read about Bella's change from Edward's perspective. What emotions does he go through? Is he still wavering, worrying about her soul or does he have no regrets. Is he slightly tempted by her blood now tasting it again?
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

OH OH!!! So MUCH fun!!

Of the four books in the Twilight Saga, what scene would you like to read from Edward's perspective? And of course tell us why!

The last scene of Breaking Dawn, when Edward can finally 'hear' Bella's thoughts and he is overcome with desire as he truly understands the depth of her love. That's definitely number one.

Number two: when Jake, Bella and Edward are in the school parking lot in Eclipse and Jacob 'shows' him Bella's grief from New Moon. I know it crushed Edward, but I have always wanted to know what he saw through Jacob.

Number three: Fire and Ice (Eclipse), without a doubt. That way, you would not only know Edward's thoughts, but Jacob's too.

That's one of the most amazing benefits of Edward's perspective, because you get almost everyone else's perspective at the same time due to his gift. Oh, yeah, and Edward is so incredibly hot and sexy, his thoughts take my breath away. That might be one of the reasons I like that as well. :twisted:
-BR-
Settled in Forks

Post by -BR- »

This is my very first post since becoming a born again newbie after the new Lex launch! How exciting!

For pragmatic reasons I would want to read the tent scene in Eclipse from Edward's perspective. I had trouble following along, even on the second read through. I know I missed some of what I was supposed to be able to deduce due to my WBS. Beyond that...the whole saga! I would love to be privy to the anguish that Edward must have felt in New Moon after Jasper tried to eat Bella and when he left her in the forest. Then of course all of the kissing scenes. I'd like to hear his thoughts in New Moon in Volterra when he's rubbing her face or thumbing her jaw or whatever it was he was doing right after their reunion. Oh and of course the hip hitching scene. Though better than that would be mister prudy pants (as you put it, snort) thought in the end of EC in the meadow when he was willing to give in to Bella. Is that too many?
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Great thread!

One of my favorite scenes in the Twilight saga is in Eclipse (ch. 8; page 186). This is when Edward returns home and finds Bella asleep in his bed. For me, this is the first time Edward acts like a normal teenaged boy. I love that he touches her and hitches her leg around his hip. This is a sensual scene coming from Bella's mind, but I am almost convinced it would be even more sensual coming from Edward's. I want to know what he was thinking. How does her skin feel to him? What about her smell? Does she smell better or just different? I can't help but think of BDB and how our warriors smell their mates during a pre-heating session. Was he arguing with himself whether or not to break? Which was weighing heavier on his mind: biting or baking? Edward is an extremely moral person, but EVERYONE has a limit. I'm wondering how close Edward truly came to his.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Li'lBit
Wandering Through Town

Post by Li'lBit »

I flutter around a bit, but I think the scenes I'd most like to hear from Edward's perspective would be

1. The meadow, of course. It's the most amazing scene already, but I'd just love to know what's going on in his head as he experiences the utter newness of everything.
2. The end of New Moon - all of it but especially when he realizes that Bella's going to become immortal with or without his help. Is that a relief to him? Does he fight against it so hard because he wants it so badly? Does he really feel betrayed by everyone - and wouldn't Alice's vision be warning him of the final vote before he storms off? Is Carlisle really undecided until that moment, or is Alice blocking him, or is he just too distracted to notice? These are questions that keep me up at night.
3. Post TGDS - he can't POSSIBLY be taking that as well as he let on. Did he want to kill Jake as badly as he wanted to drink Bella's blood on that first day?
4. During Bella's change and especially afterward when he realizes that she really is happy. It would be so wonderful to be in Edward's head when it's completely filled with joy.

Really, though, I'd love to read the entire thing from his perspective, except maybe the middle of New Moon.
"Sure, [snow] was drier than rain -- until it melted in your socks."
Sorghey
Settled in Forks

Post by Sorghey »

Pulling up a nice granite seat to the third table. *waves*
Ouisa wrote:I have always wanted to know what dirty little thoughts Mr. Prudey Pants was having while staring at those stilettos with Bella's legs wrapped in ribbons.
:lol: Mr. Prudey Pants.

So many to choose from. It would be extremely gratifying if I could read the whole series through Edward's eyes, but for now, here are a few more to throw in the pot:

*The wedding and honeymoon--maybe not all the graphic details, but what was he thinking when he saw Bella in her wedding gown? What was he thinking when he was taking a dip in the ocean and waiting for Bella?

*What the heck was Edward thinking when he propositioned Jacob? I would like to see the thought process that drove him to point of insanity and caused him to ask Jacob to give Bella a bunch of pups!?
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Bella describes how see shes herself after the transformation, but I wonder what emotions Edward was experiencing when she wakes up. Does he see her as more beautiful? Does he miss the feel of her old skin? Is the first vampire kiss any different than the other Bella kisses?
The meadow-of course!
Following after Bella in Port Angeles
Finding out Bella escaped in the aiport and finding her with James
The battle with James
The battle with Victoria
The tent scene
The wedding
The Isle of Esme- up until fade to black
When Bella said she was pregnant
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Li'lbit wrote:Does he fight against it so hard because he wants it so badly?
Oh yes. Oh so definitely yes, I think. It's a wonderful observation: if his own desires were less complicit in the fate he sees closing in on Bella, Edward might find it easier to accept the inevitable. It's horror at his own selfishness that drives him to struggle with such ferocity against that fate...
elizabeth wrote:Bella describes how see shes herself after the transformation, but I wonder what emotions Edward was experiencing when she wakes up.
Oh, I know! You can imagine him looking at her, and catching his breath at her beauty. Seeing the sun sparkling in her skin for the first time: it's as familiar to him (literally) as the back of his hand -- but it seems like he's seeing it for the first time: the wonder of it takes his breath away. He's spent seventy years loathing himself for what he is, but now it's what Bella is. And he can see the splendour at last. Because everything about her will always be exquisite to him....
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”