BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Re: BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Post by bac »

Hmm...I never thought of it like that. I have seen some pictures and stuff of people protesting, but I didn't realize kids were getting stuff in school or from community, etc. That is good that they did a fireside to discuss how to deal with it. It must be difficult, especially when you haven't done anything wrong except for have an opinion.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah, what hurts the most is when some of my friends have even accused me of being a bigot, even though one of my best friends is gay and I haven't done anything but have an opinion. It's hard right now, and especially since it passed people have been giving LDS people a hard time, along with Catholics and other religious groups. But that fireside was good, it was what I needed.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
PhantasmaWolf
Learning to Love Green

Post by PhantasmaWolf »

Yeah, I'm mormon. *waves* I haven't really had to deal with being called a bigot or a hater over the Prop 8, as it doesn't seem as big an issue in my state. However, I feel really bad for the people who are being harassed over it. I've been harassed by people by saying my religion is wrong, and I'm going to hell because I'm following the wrong religion. :? Yeah...it's hard sometimes, but it's worth it.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Woo, another mormon! *waves back*
It's just because I'm in California that I'm having to deal with the prop 8 stuff. And some people have been surprised I'm Mormon since I don't have horns (seriously).
But I agree with what you said, it's never easy, but it's worth it.
PhantasmaWolf
Learning to Love Green

Post by PhantasmaWolf »

debussygirl wrote:Woo, another mormon! *waves back*
It's just because I'm in California that I'm having to deal with the prop 8 stuff. And some people have been surprised I'm Mormon since I don't have horns (seriously).
But I agree with what you said, it's never easy, but it's worth it.
It's glad to know more! <:
I feel bad for you. I hear the mormons in Salt Lake are having a really bad time with it too. And, wow. That's kind of surprising. o_o Some people when they find out I'm mormon think I'm going to throw my religion at them and get all preachy. *sighs* It's not as bad as what you have to deal with, thoughm I'm sure.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

It wasn't really until prop 8 I've been getting the cold shoulder from some people. Most of the time it was, "You're mormon?"
Me:"Yeah."
Peron:"Don't you guys have 20 wives, sacrifice babies in your temple, and worship Joseph Smith?"
Me: "No" and a long explanation so then they never ask me anything again.
But the strangest mormon myth I've heard is that our temple is a rocket ship and our plan is that when Christ comes again we'll shoot off into space with him. Yeah, because the pioneers were also astronauts. :lol:
PhantasmaWolf
Learning to Love Green

Post by PhantasmaWolf »

I've got that before too, except for the babies thing. I haven't heard that myth though. :shock: What the heck? xD Even though it's a very big misconception, I find that hilarious!
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

Living in Canada, I don't have to deal with the Prop 8 stuff, but I hear myths like that too.
Today, one of my best friends asked me if Mormon Christmases are the same, or if we do weird things. I told her that they are pretty much the same, as far as I know. Seeming as the grandparents I spend Christmas with are not members, I don't know what a true Mormon Christmas is like. It was pretty funny, but also a really good experience. This friend is so interested in our beliefs and I find it absolutely stunning, because she really doesn't persecute me for it. I'm just another person to her.
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

Well, I live in a community that is probably 95% LDS. And I haven't really noticed a different from the Christmas Celebrations from when I lived elsewhere when the LDS population was like 3% (well maybe a bit more or less).

The myths about us LDS are a little bit cuckoo. I mean I heard one about Mormons beheading babies when they were born and I pretended to be all shocked and surprised and I kept checking my head to make sure it wasn't going to fall off. :lol:
And another myth about Mormons having horns and a devil tail. The last time I checked, I didn't have a tail. :lol:
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
PhantasmaWolf
Learning to Love Green

Post by PhantasmaWolf »

I've heard the one I'm sure most of you have probably heard is that we worship someone called mormon. And I also met someone once who thought we had secret marriges with strange, secret and complex rituals. :lol: