How do you talk?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: How do you talk?

Post by debussygirl »

I've just started to notice how much I say "like". Not in the annoying way people make fun of Californians (they over-exaggerate that--no one talks like that), but thrown in every now and again.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I think I just talk pretty normal. I've never thought of the midwest as having accents. I'm from Wisconsin..I don't think we have accents. But maybe to someone else I sound crazy. haha. I don't know really.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Oh really?? I think people from Wisconsin have accents, maybe you don't but I definately think some people do.

I have no accent what so ever. Occasionally I will say something that I learned from my dad who grew up in the midwest, something like "cement" my dad and I say see-ment, instead of suh-ment. I can't think of anything else.

And for the pop/soda debate! I am so torn! Growing up in Washington for some reason everyone said pop, when I moved to VA a few years ago, one day at work I said I was "going to go get a pop" and people stared at me like I was nuts, they really had no idea what I was talking about. One lady apparently thought she heard me say "coffee" and handed me a dollar to get her a cup too.... Then going down to Florida people were saying pop again. I don't know what people say here in TX. I have lived here for a month and I definately DO NOT have a TX accent. Haha!! Besides everyone around here speaks spanish anyways!!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

Well i'm british but i live in the midlands where there are several different accents . i do not sound like a cockney or the queen (nobody does unless someone is putting it on for a joke), when im with my family i talk like a stokie (don't worry i don't expect many of you to know what that sounds like - just think londonish and its similar) but i do tend to talk a teeny bit posh when i use big words for lols, mostly its to annoy the people who call me posh when i'm not (i don't live in mansion with staff for pete's sake). i do change how i talk when im talking to different people so i don't really have a proper accent . i use words like lol, rofl, like and various other slang words waay more than i should for someone who is now technically an adult. No offence to the irish but i sometimes find the stronger accent some of you have i leetle bit annoying but on the whole i don't mind. Scottish accents are wonderful when you can understand them and especially so when its a gorgeous scottish man like Gerad butler or David tennant you cannot help but love the scottish when you hear men like that talk :D
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
kkswmmr114
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kkswmmr114 »

lag28wa wrote: And for the pop/soda debate! I am so torn! Growing up in Washington for some reason everyone said pop, when I moved to VA a few years ago, one day at work I said I was "going to go get a pop" and people stared at me like I was nuts, they really had no idea what I was talking about. One lady apparently thought she heard me say "coffee" and handed me a dollar to get her a cup too.... Then going down to Florida people were saying pop again. I don't know what people say here in TX. I have lived here for a month and I definately DO NOT have a TX accent. Haha!! Besides everyone around here speaks spanish anyways!!
It's coke. No matter what kind, it is coke. Such as "Can I have a coke?" The following question would be "What kind?" Then an acceptable answer would be "Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Coke, etc." Although some people are very particular about Dr. Pepper not being coke. Dr. Pepper is like a religion around here... I hate it and people think I am nuts!! Lol...

Proud Randomnesser since Numero 3!! :)
E<3B
Private Jezebell Blacke of Jasper's Confederate Army
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

I was bron in Essex in Southern England but I moved to Wales when I was 3 and I'm now 15 so it's got watered down a bit! (If you don't know what an Essex accent is it sounds like Victoria Beckham!) :lol:

I also have picked up things of my parents. My dad's family are a very old English family. (you know the type, have lived in the same house for years and years, have an old Rolls in the garage) When I'm annoyed my proper english accent comes out but when I'm really really anygry though I get my Essex back! :lol: It's quite funny when I can't make up my mind to how cross I am!

My mum though, She was born in Scotland os I sometimes say "wee" instead of "little" aswell!
Her grandfather was Nigerian and her grandmother Native American (Navajo to be precise)
Sha has a weird accent too!

Have I won the award of the weirdest accent ever? :lol:
ImageEdward Cullen
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

Immy93 wrote:
Have I won the award of the weirdest accent ever? :lol:
I'd definately say u have people will have to try very hard to top that, which will be difficult i reckon without sounding totally ridiculous.

Howdy fellow brit btw *waves* :lol:
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

lag28wa wrote:Oh really?? I think people from Wisconsin have accents, maybe you don't but I definately think some people do.
Oh well, I mean everyone has an accent (mine just being American) but I think mines the most normal for America. I don't really know how to explain it. But I don't think I have the crazy Wisconsin one some people have. I don't say "yea der hey" haha. I think thats more northern Wisconsin, I'm in central WI.

And with the pop/soda thing, I say soda, but I know some people who say pop. I think it just depends on who it is. But I think the majority of people here call it soda.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

kkswmmr114 wrote:
lag28wa wrote: And for the pop/soda debate! I am so torn! Growing up in Washington for some reason everyone said pop, when I moved to VA a few years ago, one day at work I said I was "going to go get a pop" and people stared at me like I was nuts, they really had no idea what I was talking about. One lady apparently thought she heard me say "coffee" and handed me a dollar to get her a cup too.... Then going down to Florida people were saying pop again. I don't know what people say here in TX. I have lived here for a month and I definately DO NOT have a TX accent. Haha!! Besides everyone around here speaks spanish anyways!!
It's coke. No matter what kind, it is coke. Such as "Can I have a coke?" The following question would be "What kind?" Then an acceptable answer would be "Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Coke, etc." Although some people are very particular about Dr. Pepper not being coke. Dr. Pepper is like a religion around here... I hate it and people think I am nuts!! Lol...
I would have to disagree. If someone said they wanted a coke, I'd get them coca-cola or pepsi, basically a cola-flavored drink. Maybe it's just where I'm from, but a coke is a cola. You wouldn't get a root beer or sprite or whatever you wanted instead where I am. But on the commercials and shows like the biggest loser, they always call them sodas, so I think that soda is generally the wider-used term.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

I am very proud to be told I have the weidset accent ever!v :lol:
I'm goign to try and write it down....

I ma an Essex born Welsh noble families daughter who says scottish words and uses Nigerian and Native American mannerisms!

:lol: :lol:

That looks weird!

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen