How do you talk?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Granuaile
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: How do you talk?

Post by Granuaile »

Pphht. You wish. I actually have no idea what a canadian accent sounds like.
Who needs imagination when there is Reality?
Answer: me

I wish our posts were graded, since this is what I'm doing instead of homework!

I am NOT bothering to learn ALL of your names. First come, first serve. And I'm done serving.
Valentina

Post by Valentina »

Well a very small percentage sound like the ones on TV. You know, who end every sentence with 'eh' and tell hosers to take off.

We would sound a little British (lower to middle class though, not like the Queen), like we don't drag out words as long as you do, mixed with some American (think the Midwest), and the overwhelming use of the word 'like'. To us, all Americans have a bit of a drawl.

Vocabulary-wise, we're the closest to the Midwest, but we do have our own vocabulary and our own pronunciation.
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

kkswmmr114 wrote:
simple_love♫ wrote:i'm from western New York like Buffalo area but now i live in ohio. and I'm the only one with a southern accent. my mom says I watch too much CMT and GAC.... maybe that's why? i say "y'all" and "ya hear?" A LOT. and I do great Kellie Pickler impressions :lol: I am so moving to Nashville!!!
I just saw Kellie Pickler in concert on Saturday!! Lol...

Anyways, back on topic- I am from good ol' West Texas, so I have a Texan accent. It is much stronger when I am away from Texas for some reason, such as visiting my family in California or New York. I subcontiously like to show people my accent I guess, or I may just hear it better when I'm not around it... I say "ya'll" ALL THE TIME!! I also say "tour" like "tooooor" (I work somewhere that I end up saying this work alot, my co-worker laughs her head off everytime and makes fun of me), and we say "fixin' ta" (aka: about to do something, ex: I'm fixin' ta go ta the store fer some coke.) around here all the time. I had no idea it was not perfectly normal for anywhere in the country to say this until it was pointed out to me about a year ago (I am 21!!) Also the school I go to is WTAMU pronounced: dubya-tee ayanem University. (That is actually common to see posted around campus and used a slogan of some sorts sometimes) Pretty much listen to a country song and that is my accent... :D

Oh, and it is COKE, no matter what brand, not soda, not pop, it's coke... ;)
*screams head off* you lucky!!! i wanna see Kellie in concert so bad!! i wish i was from texas... or any place in the south for that matter. southern drawls are the BEST. i call every kind of pop Coke too even if it's root beer i call it Coke
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
37yearoldfan

Post by 37yearoldfan »

Granuaile wrote:Pphht. You wish. I actually have no idea what a canadian accent sounds like.
Granuaile,

I think I might be able to help. When "couch" is said it sounds like "coach" and "about" is "aboot" and sentences are often ended with aye! :D
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

I was born in Guatemala but I came to the US when I was 8. I don't have an accent though, I live in the bay area of California. I sometimes speak Getto when I'm talking to my sisters, brother, and my friends, my parents never really like'd when i did that though. Although I still do but now they can really tell me what to do or how to speak. It's one of the good things about getting older.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
Layla_Hale
Touched By Cold Hands
Location: Near Forks.....the ones in my kitchen drawer (not too far from Spoons, either)

Post by Layla_Hale »

psugar wrote:I say water like 'wader'
.We use the phrase "you guys" to describe both girls and boys
.I say "Djeetyet?" instead of "Did you eat?"
me too! ive got a good ol' southern accent! i say ya'll a lot and i drop off the ends of words (going is goin, running is runnin) and i say things like : towel is tal, wash is warsh, and ive said "over yonder" "holler" and "howdy" (but only howdy in a joking way) my accent gets worse when im around my grandma and some family members because they speak more "countrified". i like to think im more country instead of redneck, though!

General Major of Jasper's Confederate Army
Smooth Alesio Tagliano~Mafia
Twi-Twin Ayan
Randie from #2
The Epic Battle of Spring '09-Air Raid Instigator
Volturi: Sophia
Granuaile

Post by Granuaile »

Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen wrote:I was born in Guatemala but I came to the US when I was 8. I don't have an accent though, I live in the bay area of California. I sometimes speak Getto when I'm talking to my sisters, brother, and my friends, my parents never really like'd when i did that though. Although I still do but now they can really tell me what to do or how to speak. It's one of the good things about getting older.
Oh. cool, I live near you. Wow, in my community whenever anyone speaks ghetto everyone is like, "Don't act all cool like that!" It's so funny how everyone wants to be that. :lol: I get teased a lot for saying things like admirable and incorrigible. It's not my fault, I just take Steph's reading reccomendations, and I sound like a dweeb!
Who needs imagination when there is Reality?
Answer: me

I wish our posts were graded, since this is what I'm doing instead of homework!

I am NOT bothering to learn ALL of your names. First come, first serve. And I'm done serving.
Valentina

Post by Valentina »

37yearoldfan wrote:
Granuaile wrote:Pphht. You wish. I actually have no idea what a canadian accent sounds like.
Granuaile,

I think I might be able to help. When "couch" is said it sounds like "coach" and "about" is "aboot" and sentences are often ended with aye! :D
"AYE"! We're not pirates! LOL Its "Eh?" which is pronounced like a long a sound. Like in 'bay,' or 'say'. It is the quintessential everything word. It can be used at the end of a sentence to add emphasis "Lousy weather today, eh?," or "How 'bout them Riders, eh?" or to add to a question "You going for a beer, eh?" or instead of "Huh?" or to express indecision "Eh, I have to go home or my wife will kick me out."

I can kind of see the couch/coach thing... but we pronounce 'coach' with a longer o sound so they sound nothing alike to us! And the about/aboot thing is craziness. If it sounds like anything other than about, it sounds like a-boat.
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

Flemish (dutch, from Belgium)
With a bit of an accent from my region, but I talk pretty civil most of the time, specially at work.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
nightrunner
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by nightrunner »

Im english n i dont think i have much of an accent but when i go away everyone thinks im a geordie ( aka someone from Newcastle) coz i live in the the north :roll: i wd love 2 have a little bit of an irish accent though coz i think its kl
Last edited by nightrunner on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Alexa | Im on The List : Lexus | banner from narnia
Mafia Valentina Ricci
Team Esme | Bri and The Brits