Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Writers Central

Post by Openhome »

I just found out that someone on a Polish site copied dozens of fanfic stories into a downloadable files without permission. Singularity was one of them. :evil:
Even VJGM had one of hers posted there.
It really upsets me that someone would place all of our fics into an easily downloadable format. I don't have an issue with people translating or posting so long as they ask, but this person simply copied and pasted and posted. Not cool.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Ugh, that's so not cool. She didn't pass them off as her own, did she? That would be even worse.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

No, which is the one saving grace of all this. She or he simply copied them from fanfiction.net (looks like they simply copy and pasted) and posted with all our information intact. It's just the idea that all of us have work posted in a downloadable format without knowing it. I don't think it is a well used site, but still....
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Ugh! That is so scary! If they can cut and paste, they can also alter our stories.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Wow that is really sad. It's too bad that people can't respect intellectual properties. This is why I never post anything online as far as stories go. The internet is a really awesome way to get feedback and such, but at the same time, it has its issues. In truth, I think FanFiction.net needs to do a bit more to protect people's work. Using scripts that enable copy/paste functions. However, ultimately there is only so much they can really do.

My friend, creator of Guardians of Luna, had to encode all of his imagry for the film, to keep people from "creating" their own icons and such based upon his movie's pictures. Once the film is out it isn't as big a deal, but when much of you have out there is still a "work in progress" it can be quite a pain to unauthorized imagry floating around the web, and could give people the wrong impression.

missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

I still haven't taken the time to sit down and do any writing! I'm going on a month now without so much as a word written on a page! A new school year and the start of a new after-school program is always so tiring. I hope that after this week, I can get back to a normal routine and do a little writing every night and a lot of writing on the weekends.

AB~~ How goes the novel??
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Rewriting it in 3rd person is a long process. Not only changing the POV(pronouns, verbs, entire sentences), but I can add things I couldn't before--like the ability to let the reader know what the other characters were thinking/feeling. That was a road block I constantly found myself hitting was it was in 1st person--that person can only ASSUME what the other characters think or feel.

First person worked in Twilight so well because every girl WANTS to be in Bella's shoes. They want their prince charming and true love. It's the reason SM made Bella so generic--so every girl could put herself in the story. Not only do you lose the ability to really introduce the rest of the characters (because you have to go by the narrators opinion of them), there are only select scenarios where the reader would WANT a single persons thoughts. My story is about a war, and the thoughts and feelings of the other characters, even though they are supporting, are much more important than I originally thought. And the main character is a debbie downer a lot, and I thought who wants to be in a negative person's head the entire time? That IS a reason some people didn't like Bella -- they felt she was too whiney in Twilight.

We cheat in fanfic by doing different POVs. SR does 3rd person so well in UofEM, but its one of the few written like that bc we're all so used to being in Bella (and Jake's in BD, and Edward's in MS) head it's naturally how we want to write it.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote:Rewriting it in 3rd person is a long process. Not only changing the POV(pronouns, verbs, entire sentences), but I can add things I couldn't before--like the ability to let the reader know what the other characters were thinking/feeling. That was a road block I constantly found myself hitting was it was in 1st person--that person can only ASSUME what the other characters think or feel.

First person worked in Twilight so well because every girl WANTS to be in Bella's shoes. They want their prince charming and true love. It's the reason SM made Bella so generic--so every girl could put herself in the story. Not only do you lose the ability to really introduce the rest of the characters (because you have to go by the narrators opinion of them), there are only select scenarios where the reader would WANT a single persons thoughts. My story is about a war, and the thoughts and feelings of the other characters, even though they are supporting, are much more important than I originally thought. And the main character is a debbie downer a lot, and I thought who wants to be in a negative person's head the entire time? That IS a reason some people didn't like Bella -- they felt she was too whiney in Twilight.

We cheat in fanfic by doing different POVs. SR does 3rd person so well in UofEM, but its one of the few written like that bc we're all so used to being in Bella (and Jake's in BD, and Edward's in MS) head it's naturally how we want to write it.

You touch on something here that I've often disliked about fanfiction, and that's the alternating POV. I find stories that switch POVs frequently (which I count as any more than one switch per chapter) a little like taking a vacation inside the mind of a schizophrenic. Does anyone else feel this way?

Personally, the reason I change from one POV to another is because there is something I want to share that cannot be accomplished inside the head of my main character. (In the case of What Drives Her, that would be Edward) I do not flip-flop viewpoints because I want the reader to know what everybody is thinking all of time, which seems like overkill to me, and I do not change it up just to drag out the story and double up on chapters. I do it when I can't figure out how else to tell what I want to tell, and only if it's important to the story.

Here's another thought... I often wonder if not being able to accomplish the storytelling inside of a single viewpoint is a sign of my limits as a writer, or is it a sign that the tale should be told from a third person narrative? How do you decide what voice to tell your story in? And at what point in the writing/brainstorming process should the decision be made?

(On that note, I guess I wonder if it's common for writers to do as Amanda Beth is doing and re-write something to change the narrative voice?)

Wow... I'm rather contemplative on this Monday morning. :lol:
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

VirginiaMay wrote:Personally, the reason I change from one POV to another is because there is something I want to share that cannot be accomplished inside the head of my main character. (In the case of What Drives Her, that would be Edward) I do not flip-flop viewpoints because I want the reader to know what everybody is thinking all of time, which seems like overkill to me, and I do not change it up just to drag out the story and double up on chapters. I do it when I can't figure out how else to tell what I want to tell, and only if it's important to the story.

Here's another thought... I often wonder if not being able to accomplish the storytelling inside of a single viewpoint is a sign of my limits as a writer, or is it a sign that the tale should be told from a third person narrative? How do you decide what voice to tell your story in? And at what point in the writing/brainstorming process should the decision be made?

(On that note, I guess I wonder if it's common for writers to do as Amanda Beth is doing and re-write something to change the narrative voice?)[/color]
Your reasoning is just another to write in 3rd person if a story has more than one major player, but mine doesn't. Maybe "thoughts" wasn't what I was trying to say. In my story, there are things I don't want to be dialogue. For example: the main character's romantic interest has a lot that he's gone through that I know and I want the readers to know. And because it's a war and there's a lot of different people taking it different ways, and I realized I needed to share that.

In reading books about writing, I've read over and over again that 1st person is the hardest POV to write well and I don't think it shows a writer's limits, necessarily. A lot of people write their books that way since thats how we naturally think but they fall into the same problems I was including writing in another character's emotions by assumption of the main character which gets REALLY redundant. You also can't describe your main character, because who goes and talks and thinks about themselves? And if he or she does does, its with their own skewed image of his/herself (re: Bella). I also do believe though if its being written in more than one POV that means you WANT to share more than one person's experience and you should do 3rd person. We all want to write fanfics from more than one POV bc we've identified with the other characters, unlike SM who got to think from a completely Bella-centric POV.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Which person to write in can make all the difference in the story. As Amanda Beth says, it's really up to what you want to tell readers. When I wrote Starry Night I knew it would be focused on one character and his interactions with others, so a first-person PoV would suffice. Now again as she said, it is tricky to differentiate things that your character knows versus what you as the writer know. (Personally I've had lots of experience playing roleplaying games- of the pen-and-paper, Dungeons & Dragons kind- so I apply that sort of thinking when I write.)
Amanda Beth wrote:A lot of people write their books that way since thats how we naturally think but they fall into the same problems I was including writing in another character's emotions by assumption of the main character which gets REALLY redundant. You also can't describe your main character, because who goes and talks and thinks about themselves? And if he or she does does, its with their own skewed image of his/herself (re: Bella).
Well, the first half of this statement is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're writing in first person, everything is going to be filtered/colored by that character's persona. Think of it this way: if the narrator assumed that someone felt a certain way and was wrong about it, why did he/she make that assumption? Was it a logical one to make at the time, given what the character knew at the time? This can help you better understand how your character thinks.

By the same token, everyone has looked into a mirror at some point. Sure, we may not get up every morning, brush our teeth while internally monologuing "I have black hair and brown eyes. My cheeks are a little plump and for some reason my nose is red." But we do make observations: "Hmm- need to trim the goatee." "Ugh! This blue eyeshadow is not working out with my skin tone." "No, these glasses do not work with my oval face."

Yes, these are skewed observations. But you're not trying to tell the world how the character looks from a third-person PoV. You're doing it from their own PoV. So the reality is, you're keeping things in character. If you really want to have a less-skewed viewpoint, have them interact with someone who makes the observation you want made. "Oh! You changed styles," Laura told me. "Didn't you have shoulder-length hair just a week ago? It's so short now!"

I do agree that switching PoV's tends to be very disconcerting. It's a problem I'm having with a project of mine that involves eight(!) protagonists. I have done the whole "rewrite because I'm changing PoV's" thing and while it can be a lot of work you also tend to learn a lot- like realizing you needed some more information for this scene, or wondering if that other one is really necessary.

You can certainly try writing a scene in different PoV's and finding out what works best for you. :)